Latest rumored Motorola X specs: 4.8 inch screen, Qualcomm Snapdragon 800, November launch
Our tipster had no information about any sort of customizable phone. What he is telling us is that the Motorola X will have a 4.8 inch screen, made of sapphire glass, said to be three times harder to crack than Gorilla Glass. The corners will be made with rubber bumpers and the back will be made of carbon fiber. Under the hood will be a quad-core 2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 and a 4,000mAh battery provides all-day power. The device will be water resistant and will launch in November, in time for the holidays. Sounds nice, but we need to take this with our proverbial grain of salt.
If there is legitimacy to this rumor, the Motorola X could certainly compete and even surpass the U.S. version of the Samsung Galaxy S4 on some levels. If this does have a Full HD panel, it will have a higher pixel density than the nearly 5 inch FHD screen on the S4 and the Motorola X would have superior silicon. As we pointed out though, this is all conjecture for now, a fun parlor game for the adults to play after the kiddies have fallen asleep.
Thanks, Anonymous Tipster!
7. a_merryman (Posts: 688; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
I wish I could downvote you another time.
15. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 495; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
the one who made the thumbs up is also an idiot..
52. Topcat488 (Posts: 1164; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
If you voted for someone by mistake... It is possible to correct your vote, by voting again for the other choice.
It's just not possible to vote the same choice way, twice. I mean you can't thump the same way twice, but it is possible to switch from "red" to "green", or vice versa.
59. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2435; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
You should change your name from Topcat to CaptainObvious.
27. Note2waitingonNote3 (banned) (Posts: 87; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
Sounds like some elements of the Galaxy Note 3 in the house come September / October. The Galaxy Note 3 will have the Exynos Octa processor clocked at 2.3ghz, 3gb of ram, 4200mAh battery, 16meg camera, 3.0 front facing camera, Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie out the box. Nothing will beat the Galaxy Note 3 in 2013.
29. phil2n (Posts: 474; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
4000 mAh battery
16 MP rear Camera
5 MP front camera
Android 5.0 (Key lime pie)
Is these were confirmed I will start saving right now..
79. HäckeMáte (Posts: 168; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
u forgot Carbon fiber. THAT got my interest. A premium build exterior AND horsepower? Its like the Lexus LFA :D
30. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3013; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Well, not against you. But you sound the same too... Saying nothing will beat the Note 3 is a the same as saying this speculation of the X phone is true. You might want to wait for things to straighten up first.
80. HäckeMáte (Posts: 168; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Gotta love it when ppl crown a king that hasnt even been born yet.
62. akki20892 (Posts: 3571; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
NOKIA EOS 41MP phone will use this processor 100% sure........because specs telling support up to 55MP......!!!
73. jcarrigan (unregistered)
sounds too good to be true
14. Dr.Phil (Posts: 916; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Yeah, the specs sounded realistic up until the "sapphire glass" part. Are there talks about future smartphones having sapphire glass? Yes. In fact, they JUST talked about sapphire glass in several news articles within the past week (funny how all of a sudden we go from just breaking news on a new technology and then it's mentioned as a "specification" in an upcoming phone):
Sapphire glass' usage as a display screen is a few years away from becoming a reality because of the sheer cost of it. As the article mentions, it costs $3 for a sheet of Gorilla Glass while it costs $30 for the same sheet in sapphire glass form.
That's why this rumor sounds too good to be true. How is it that right when some new technology is talked about in a news article, all of a sudden it ends up in the rumored specifications list for an upcoming phone? (Even PhoneArena's article on sapphire glass was only written 4 days ago!) It would be like if last week they announced the Exynos 6 series and this week we see rumors of the Motorola X phone carrying the Exynos 6 chipset. I personally think this rumor is more of a fantasy than a reality.
21. BadAssAbe (Posts: 434; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
Yeah, why not?
Sapphire glass is not new, iPhones are already using them in LAST year phones.
35. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2435; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
iPhones are already using Sapphire Glass? Not on the entire screen, man. That's a big jump.
43. ickyboo (Posts: 3; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
@BadAssAbe , Apple only uses Sapphire Crystal for their LENS on the camera which is something the size of what, 1cm round?Not for the whole damn display.
39. vincelongman (Posts: 1369; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Vertu phones have had sapphire screens for several years now, but they are far too expensive
54. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
sapphire glass is commonly used in watches (like in mine Nite MX 50) but its pricey...to pricey to use it in smartphones...unless you want to pay through the nose (look at vertu or tag hauer...they've used it already). That's why gorilla glass was invented...unfortunatelly it is not as scratchproof as it is advertised. The same goes to sapphire (even though it's much more scratchproof but quite easy to break )
81. HäckeMáte (Posts: 168; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
I will gladly pay through the nose for this and carbon fiber.
You can buy a cheap Timex for less than $100, but theres a lot of enthusiasts that will pay $4000-$10,000 for a rolex. Yep, all it does is tell time... but only an enthusiast can appreciate the craftsmanship,,, for everyone else, there's Samsung :)
85. heyhi (Posts: 125; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
i dont know man...you can pay that kind of money on a watch, but the question is: are there many enthusiasts who will pay for an expensive craftsmanship phone? i mean, a phone is kind of "disposable", you know what i mean? technology keeps going on...a phone, is just a piece of technology these days.
a rolex is a luxurious accessory indicator of status, which will last for a lifetime, no matter how long you have it, its not gonna be less valuable.
a phone is a just a phone, which most people wanna change every 1 year or 2 because they're are kind of out of date, or they are not the "ultimate technology" that many geeky customers want.
82. jbreault (Posts: 25; Member since: 04 Mar 2012)
sapphire glass would take to long to make a enough to put in any new phone coming out
3. imkyle (Posts: 1010; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
So will this be introduced at Google I/O or is that too early?
38. jsdechavez (Posts: 708; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Probsbly.. I guess this will be like the Premium Nexus..
4. a_merryman (Posts: 688; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
I like this latest round of speculation too. I think the sapphire glass is an excellent addition....not sure how I feel about the rubber bumpers though, rather they be a type of metal. However, everything else would make this a beast of a phone and the one to beat well into next year. Hopefully that rumor about the Nikon lens is true, all these specs and an unbeatable camera? Sign me up
5. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5577; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Oh my god..... the specs......the battery......, this better be real!
9. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 703; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
i dont think so its real....... may be m wrong
13. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5577; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Yup, don't believe too much rumors. It may be real, but it may be fake.
49. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3783; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Motorola's past behavior makes it hard to recommend though.
58. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5577; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
That's what you said, "past behavior", but can we say "future behavior"? Everyone says people can change, I say manufactures can change too!
66. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
All the trolls talk about "past behavior"... It's the only thing they talk about
61. akki20892 (Posts: 3571; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Check this specs of Snapdragon series 800........Next Nokia will have 41MP camera EOS and this phone will use this Snapdragon series 800 processor.........will be most powerful phone from NOKIA and that's 100% true because WP use qualcomm and only snapdragon 800 support up to 55mp......!!!
75. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5577; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
We all know Nokia is the best of making cameraphones. :)
11. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Don't make judgement because of a petty rumor, only the most legitimate rumors are like weeks before launch.
8. wendygarett (unregistered)
Sweet, too bad the rumors are false :(
I won't felt for that....
18. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
yeah...I don't believe this. Motorola can't wait that long for another flagship.
17. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 495; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
the specs is too good to be true,but lets wait and see what happens after a few months.
19. BadAssAbe (Posts: 434; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
Usually rumors are a bit farfetch but this is doable
Water resistance, moto has done this before
4.8in 1080, why not?
4,000mAh battery, Google has said battery life is very important to Google
Sapphire Glass, iPhones have use them, so why not? This is Google flagship phone
Rubber bumbers, the only accessorie Google sells for the nexus 4
Snapdragon 800 should launched around that timeframe, no issues there
44. ickyboo (Posts: 3; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
Apple only uses Sapphire Crystal for their LENS on the camera which is something the size of what, 1cm round?Not for the whole damn display.
20. uchihakurtz (Posts: 257; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Wow, 2GHz quad and 4000 MAh battery, that's a beast man, you sure it's a phone??
23. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 977; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
pics or it's fake and lol everyone saying phone of the year when there's only been 2 flagships revealed so far
32. Adithya7184 (Posts: 316; Member since: 05 Mar 2011)
these iCr@p trolls everywhere....i wish phonearena allowed me to thumb down more than once.....
67. androiddownsouth (Posts: 598; Member since: 02 May 2012)
If the specs for this phone are true, you must be on crack to think that the iPhone 5 is better than this.......
Better in your opinion, I'll give you that. Better specs and/or hardware, not even close. Those are measurables that can be backed by facts, no simply opinion.
77. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
I wonder what kind of car you drive, because I am sure it doesn't have the latest specs and feaures so why you judge a phone based on specs alone ?
26. phljcnth (Posts: 269; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
4000mAh? mAhahahahahaha! What is that a 4.8" tablet?? Or maybe I'm stupid for laughing, maybe it'll be just as thick as a quarter-pounder.
28. yougotkilled1 (Posts: 167; Member since: 27 Apr 2011)
If this is a November launch, this is most likely the next nexus for this year. Oh boy I can't wait to hear about this!! May needs to hurry up already!
33. datsyuk (Posts: 170; Member since: 11 Jan 2012)
Unless the Snapdragon quick charge v2 is really amazing this phone would be extremely annoying to charge lol, that said it would last FOREVER when fully charged haha.
36. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2435; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Not necessarily. My old G2 had a 1300mAH battery. It took roughly 2.5 hours to charge. My Note 2 has a 3100 mAH battery. Takes 3 hours to charge. Almost 2.5 times the battery capacity & it only takes about 20% more time to fully charge.
55. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4073; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Qualcomm did say Quick Charge v2 would be 75% faster than average.
34. damokles (unregistered)
It's funny, how eeeeeeeevery single device is compared to its contestants, but the iPhone isn't mentioned anywhere. I don't really care about the processors as long the freakin' system runs smooth :)