Here is a closer look at the flexible display, battery and more on the LG G Flex
That said, seeing this up close also means we are on the cusp of seeing a lot more interesting options coming down the trail in the years to come. This flexible technology has been on display at various tech venues for years, but the challenge has always been in developing a viable manufacturing process.
Similar challenges were faced as it related to the battery too. Having a battery that could withstand the rigors of a flexible handset was more than technological, it was a safety issue too. Making a bent battery was not a problem in itself, but making it bendable, while maintaining integrity that did not pose a threat to set someone’s pants on fire, or melt a leg, was paramount to the task. To their credit, LG has found a way to address these issues and we are sure that others will be following in their footsteps as competitors look to get on the bandwagon.
The self-healing back plate is pretty neat too. It is not built into the polycarbonate plastic, rather it is a coating, akin to a urethane coating that one might see on a wooden floor. Small, relatively shallow scratches and scuffs will work their way out. Temperature is a big factor in the speed with which self healing occurs.
Some scratches may become less apparent in as little as 30 seconds, or it can take much, much longer if it is cooler. Either way, it is a neat feature to have since the LG G Flex will fit nearly perfectly into a back pocket. Check out some of the pictures and a few videos below.
LG G Flex - up close
Battery, Back Plate and Display
1. eisenbricher (Posts: 971; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Wow how could they fit the display matrix, the controller and backlight in that paper thickness?! That too, is totally flexible. Hats off to you, LG.
2. imMature (Posts: 82; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
There's no backlight for the display (it's an OLED) and I don't think there's a controller for it too.
3. spectrums (Posts: 127; Member since: 14 Nov 2013)
And Rememberr, Nokia Not Create Phone Like This, #mybe Never :lol: Better With Samsung He is Have Galaxy Round. :)
Btw Galaxy Round More Incredible Better Than Gplex :)
4. noler (Posts: 165; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
Sorry to break your heart, this is Nokia Flexible Phone from two years ago!
11. oOps.. (Posts: 34; Member since: 26 Jul 2013)
and then ur heart break too
12. noler (Posts: 165; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
1) Why my heart will break frome this? I did not say "Samsung Not Create Phone Like This, #mybe Never "
2) it's Flexible screen and not like Nokia Flexible phone.
15. Duketytz (Posts: 470; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
And then we have Sony
8. Firedrops (Posts: 215; Member since: 06 Sep 2011)
as imMature said, no backlight for OLED, and the controller is most likely not attached directly to the screen, rather it is connected at the other end of the ribbon cable.
5. taikucing (unregistered)
this means LG > Samsung
9. E.S.1 (Posts: 289; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
LG deserves some credit... Finally :)
I love my LG G2