Hangouts app updated with SMS, HD video and much more
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
12 Feb 2014, 08:58
Is this the LG G3: specs for top-shelf Sprint-bound LG phone leak out
11 Apr 2014, 05:03
2. fistigons (Posts: 260; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
iOS has been able to send SMS messages since 2 weeks ago. We were all complaining about it.
10. Kjayhawk (Posts: 273; Member since: 07 Oct 2010)
No iOS was never allowed to send SMS through Google hang outs they are allowed to make free phone calls though. Trust me I have hangouts installed on my iPhone now. Chances are SMS will never be allowed on hangouts for iOS
11. NexusPhan (Posts: 320; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
No chance it will ever be allowed. Apple doesn't allow apps to access SMS. It forces you to use Apple's apps.
21. joey_sfb (Posts: 1968; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Apple policy state that any apps that change the interface or user experience will be banned e.g third parties keyboard such as swype or internet browser that allow the running of adobe flash in the device.
Don't understand why they want to do that but its their platform their rules.
5. NexusX (Posts: 41; Member since: 16 May 2013)
when do we get the calling function with google voice?
7. pimpclark (Posts: 12; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
What about making phone calls like the IOS version?
8. improv (Posts: 92; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
No Nexus 5 updates as expected but the live stream was an interesting watch.
9. NexusX (Posts: 41; Member since: 16 May 2013)
The ios Hangout app has decent quality for its calling function
All VOIP apps for android are sh*t, I am hoping google will perfect this with updated Hangout app for android.
22. fistigons (Posts: 260; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
I use groove ip for my VoIP calls and I love it. It integrates into you google voice account. Then I use google talk for my SMS. But I would love if Hangouts added the call features that the iOS version has and allow MMS. Then I could get rid of google talk, groove ip and just use Hangouts for everything.
24. NexusX (Posts: 41; Member since: 16 May 2013)
Ive used groove ip to my disappointment, half of the time i cant log in, when i do, calls keep dropping in and out and theres always a delay even when im on wifi, ive tried every android based app with similar result, hangout for ipad on the other hand, works great and has little delay
13. DAddYE (Posts: 48; Member since: 04 Oct 2013)
I want to point that being able to receive txt message in the interface is a thing, receive txt message in the network protocol is another.
IMHO that's the killer feature of iMessage, add that I can receive message sent to my phone number on my mac ...
18. Sentient6 (Posts: 16; Member since: 02 Dec 2012)
You can with a an app called MightyText. Just install it to your phone from the Play Store and then install the plugin to your browser.
20. DAddYE (Posts: 48; Member since: 04 Oct 2013)
is a different thing, this one is like airdroid