Cortana to get updated at least twice a month?
Part of the reason to make timely updates to Cortana is to keep her off-the-cuff comments timely, and filled with relevant references. The software giant also plans on loading Cortana up with AI so she will learn each user's different needs. One study used by Microsoft showed that 40% of the time spent with a device carrying Artificial Intelligent, is wasted on "chit-chat." That explains the focus on making her banter current, timely and relevant. Since Cortana's pages are rendered in HTML5, the guys in Redmond can make these updates without having to send out an OS update to Windows Phone handsets.
Microsoft wants Cortana to sound less robotic, so the voice used will be the one belonging to Jen Taylor, the voice of Cortana in the Halo series. But Microsoft also has to deal with some regional requests. In China, for example, the virtual personal assistant has to have a voice that sounds like it is smiling. And to make the program more human-like, Microsoft interviewed real-life assistants to understand how they interacted with their bosses, and what things they did that made them successful at their job.
1. oboboy14 (Posts: 46; Member since: 27 Mar 2014)
Glad to see Microsoft doing more for their mobile OS. Hopefully things like this will help them carve a place into Android/iOS market.
3. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4335; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Yes sir, the more players we have the better the end results will be for everyone...
2. tettech (Posts: 65; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
The original voice actress...I might just jump to Windows Phone for this reason, lol
5. brrunopt (Posts: 544; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
I'm just waiting for the new wave of devices, the new blu looks amazing..
4. Scott93274 (Posts: 1290; Member since: 06 Aug 2013)
"especially badass" lol, I'm not much of a Microsoft fan, in fact I kinda hate the company, but I do like what they're doing with the real time translator on Skype and I'm thinking that they have a lot of opportunity to turn Cortana into something great. Come on MS! Show us what you can do!
6. AfterShock (Posts: 2883; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
So she goes bonkers Twice a month, great?
9. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Once at gets another great flagship I'll jump ship from Android to Windows Phone for a test.
12. joey_sfb (Posts: 3100; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Oh Yes! Patches and Microsoft goes hand in hand.
13. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3580; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
While google now gets updated every two three weeks...
15. bon24x7 (Posts: 205; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
yeah sure, kitkat on 13.6% of all devices proves you're right.
16. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3580; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Google now available on 4.1JB onwards, and is updated via play store. Educate yourselves.
19. bon24x7 (Posts: 205; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
I was talking about OS updates, not "google now". Sorry educated guy.
17. Riderocket (Posts: 1; Member since: 17 Apr 2014)
All windows phones running windows 8 will get the 8.1 update, and all phones with 8.1 will eventually get cortana (depending on your country).. But google now for android is only available on 4.1JB and up which is around 10-20% of all android phones.
18. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3580; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Hello! wakeup! Jelly bean is on 60% of all android phones+kitkat 13%.
And you forgot WP7.