Apple iPhone 6 leaks: 4.7” and 5.5” model mockups compared
While we’re still months away from their official unveiling, Sonny Dickson, the Australian kid who made a name for himself last year, leaking pre-release images of the iPhone 5s and 5c, now strikes again with full mockups showing what the 4.7” and 5.5” iPhone 6 are very likely to look like.
Both models look stunningly thin, and also very similar in terms of design, adopting iPad mini-like aesthetics with curvier edges. The larger screens in both have forced some changes in terms of button layout - the lock key is no longer on top (where it’d be hard to reach), but has moved to the right side, closer to the thumb (if you’re right handed). On the back, Apple has reduced the antennas, leaving just small strips of plastic that almost do not interrupt the apparently aluminum matte back of the iPhone 6. Interestingly, Apple seems to have also ditched the pill-shape dual-tone flash in the iPhone 5s for a simpler, round one (a single one seemingly).
Up front, you can see how the 4.7-inch iPhone has a fairly sizeable bezel, while the 5.5-inch one, in contrast, has almost non-existent side bezel, and is very compact for its size. Pictures of these next iPhones come in white, gold, and gray, the already established iPhone color palette.
And while this is not the first iPhone 6 leak (Taiwanese pop star Jimmy Lin posed with an allegedly leaked iPhone 6 a few days ago), it looks like the most detailed one, coming from a proven source. We can imagine the secrecy-loving people at Apple are not very happy with this, but what we’re more curious about is your thoughts on this new design: do you like it or not?
Apple iPhone 6 leaks: 4.7” vs 5.5” model mockups compared
source: Sonny Dickson, 9to5Mac
1. maherk (Posts: 1207; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Looking at the back reminds me of the HTC M7 next to the One Max.
3. techperson211 (Posts: 710; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
Looks like Samsung ang Lg phones combine.
18. Finalflash (Posts: 1903; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Hell no, LG has stepped up their aesthetics game. Samsung at least isn't taking steps backwards in design like this. This is by far the ugliest phone yet and that is sad. The last thing apple had was their jewelry advantage and now they don't even have that.
22. Feanor (Posts: 330; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
Wait, no, Samsung and LG are still probably uglier than this. But I agree that it is at least the ugliest iPhone ever. If it really comes out like this.
36. Cicero (Posts: 496; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
They do not know how to do. All designs on candy bar types is already taken. What do you guys expected? Apple was so acclaimed about the design, until now, when they have to change their lucky step design of iPhone 4.
53. verbalize (Posts: 94; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Sorry to tell you that Samsung can't step backwards. Out of all the phone manufactures Samsung is the worst in design. All there phones look cheap and low grade. Nothing has changed in years except trying to copy other manufactures 2 year old models.
40. babyk (Posts: 222; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Like really? this looks like samsung and lg combined? U must be a die hard freak fan. Cant you see a copy cat of HTC
24. Tom_Gjeka (Posts: 10; Member since: 02 Jun 2014)
The front looks like galaxy s3 curved touchscreen
At the back looks like htc one m7 and that camera design : meh
58. HansGoneInsane (Posts: 401; Member since: 09 Aug 2013)
Stop this mock-up madness. There have no parts of the new iPhone leaked that can be trusted. I think we won't get reliable rumors and leaks before the mass production of the iPhone 6 started.
76. stealthd (Posts: 980; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Except there's no curve on the front, or maybe you've never seen an S3
33. kalloud (Posts: 120; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
Didn't anyone notice? Where's the apple logo ???!
38. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6736; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Another extra row of icons start to hurt my eyes.
49. gustavoace (Posts: 110; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Looking at the back reminds me when you buy some sticker, and you pull it out.
73. gregoryyy3 (Posts: 178; Member since: 10 Nov 2010)
thats one of those things you just keep to yourself cause that was not funny even if you say you "weren't trying to be"
77. stealthd (Posts: 980; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Yeah it looks just like those HTC phones, if you've never seen them before.
2. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3737; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Apple's marketing department leak factory is working overtime. So today we get another round of the same basic leak, but with a little bit better resolution. Even though the final designs for this phone have been done for months. Because the leakers upgraded their cameras but were still not able to take a picture of the real phones being made now?
64. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
This 5.5 inch iphone will be much lager than Note 3 (5.7 inch)
That's because of the useless FPScanner magic. Bezels......
4. givemespecs (unregistered)
I really hope the bezels are smaller than this on the 4.7" model, although it won't look quite so bad on the grey version I guess. I can't believe that Apple will launch a 4.7" phone which is too close in size to say the LG G2 or Galaxy S5, especially when they made such a thing about the 5S being the perfect size for one handed use.
5. fzacek (Posts: 2207; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Those bezels on the 4.7" version are pretty bad...
8. gaara6775 (Posts: 516; Member since: 20 May 2014)
Since when iPhone people started considering the bezels? For them its a must or else how could they differentiate from androids :D
13. fzacek (Posts: 2207; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
True, those I sheep will buy anything as long as it has an Apple logo...
6. gaara6775 (Posts: 516; Member since: 20 May 2014)
More screen size will also lead to more weight.let's see how bulky this device turn out to be. Now finally iPhone users will feel insecure holding such a big device. We might here from them - oops I dropped it as I'm not use to such a huge screen but you know what it feels good finally we can see some Graphics while playing high end games because earlier to this we used to cover 2inch screen with our figures and remaining 2inch was left to see the actual gameplay . :p
68. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
*More screen size will also lead to more weight*
Note 3 (5.7 inch ) is lighter and smaller than Note 1 (5.3 inch)
Also all Notes are lighter than Nokia 930 (4.5 inch)
But Apple with this useless FPScanner magic, could never make bezels small
74. gregoryyy3 (Posts: 178; Member since: 10 Nov 2010)
"Apple with this useless FPScanner magic" you mean the only cell phone manufacture that got it right? Go try the S5's if you think apple's is bad.
7. tiara6918 (Posts: 1534; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
ifans are still gonna buy this ugly crap no matter what the final model is
21. kiza_88 (Posts: 14; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
pretty stupid but they will spend mom and dad money :)
44. bucky (Posts: 1574; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Lol wow you guys sound so butthurt lol. There's nobody even here to fight with and you're still trying lol.
75. gregoryyy3 (Posts: 178; Member since: 10 Nov 2010)
Ifan's are going to buy this because they are smart and don't want to spend all their time on the phone with tech support for their carrier..
10. gaara6775 (Posts: 516; Member since: 20 May 2014)
Here on PA it is all about the bezels mate. Its a bitter truth man.
15. Feanor (Posts: 330; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
And I'm fed up. Everyone thinks they're engineers.
No one seems to realise that phones with slim bezels give up something, be it battery capacity, slim profile, or camera sensor size.
17. shuaibhere (Posts: 1673; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
People like you don't realise that thin profile which apple tries to maintain is what sacrifices battery capacity, bigger camera sensor...
While less bezels mean more comfortable to hold....
Thicker devices like moto x is more comfortable to hold because it keeps over all size in check...plus a curved back....
20. Feanor (Posts: 330; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
I know dude. I'm just saying that between an obsessive reduction to bezels and an obsessive reduction of thickness, there is a middle road.
And sorry, but thinness is pretty important too. I'd prefer my phone to be 10mm longer in my pocket than protruding 2mm more outwards.
28. shuaibhere (Posts: 1673; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Yeah!!! there is middle road....
Moto x ideal device for that...with slim bezels, compact body and thin enough to be comfortable to hold...
34. Diezparda (Posts: 215; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
Thinner bezel is more important, it's easier to hold and easier to slip into your pocket. Iphone 5/5s user might not experience this problem but as Note 3 owner, i can't imagine if it has humongous bezel and i believe a 2mm or even 5mm more thickness is not even as thick as your wallet. That's why i decided to take note 3 instead xperia z ultra.
19. Diezparda (Posts: 215; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
Despite how ugly S5 is, it is a water resistant device and not to mention it's battery cover is removable unlike the Z2 unibody, yet people is complaining how ugly it is (you think they are enginers? Or maybe a designer?). Face it! We consumer have our rights to complain for our needs and benefits and we pay for it so there is no needs for hard feelings.
45. tedkord (Posts: 5261; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Slim bezels give up slim profile? Then how do other manufacturers manage the slim bezels without giving anything up?
51. Feanor (Posts: 330; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
LG G3 is thicker, with smaller sensor and smaller battery than Z2. Get your facts right.
69. tedkord (Posts: 5261; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
How does that have anything to do with the bezels?
41. babyk (Posts: 222; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
id give any amount of money to htc for a slim bezel phone with boom sound speakers. THE M8 JUST KILLED IT. WAY TOO BIG BEZELS
48. KenAdams (Posts: 55; Member since: 17 Feb 2014)
Change your username to iFanboy, NoFanboy. Those bezels are too big for a phone with a 4.7 inch screen.
60. HansGoneInsane (Posts: 401; Member since: 09 Aug 2013)
who says that is the real? on part leaks does the mock-up base on?
11. HarryWild (Posts: 48; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
I think the Moto X which is last 2013 model; has thinner bezels on it. I find it strange from a design and "good looks" that the 4.7" is so thick! Oh well! I think most people will buy the 5.5" anyways so it not that big a deal!
12. twens (Posts: 699; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Looks like the 5.5" looks better than the 4.7". Lol
27. vincelongman (Posts: 1699; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I think the 5.5" looks fake/photoshopped
The screen is off centre, the left bezel is smaller than the right bezel
Its especially noticeable if you look at the top left corner of the screen, then the bottom left corner screen, its not straight
14. Feanor (Posts: 330; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
Ugliest iPhone ever. How can one screw up the design so much after the stunning 4 and 5?
It's basically an undefined non-descript aluminium thing with some ridiculous looking plastic stripes.
And thinness? Please... If the camera protrudes, as the leaks suggest, then what thinness?
16. joey_sfb (Posts: 3231; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Its roundness remind me of the 2012 Note 2 phone.
23. skyline88 (Posts: 347; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
they said the uglinest of iJunk has its limit since the original iJunk in 2007, but this new crappy iJunk 6 has again set a whole new benchmark for uglinest.
25. Barracuda (Posts: 20; Member since: 21 Feb 2014)
they will still sell millions of these phones :-) Izombies will sleep out and line up days before the release.
39. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6736; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Next thing the izombies will get rob from their precious iph6
32. amats69 (Posts: 1129; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
This phone is a lot better than s5 in terms of design..so this is not the benchmark of ugliness...Samsung s5 got that crown
61. shuaibhere (Posts: 1673; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
This looks better than 5s???
Lol...joke of the year...
5.5 looks okay...
But 4.7 inch one looks ugly with those 2007ish bezels....s5 looks better...
66. milesboy5 (Posts: 170; Member since: 07 Nov 2012)
He specifically said s5...then latter on to clear any confusion ...Samsung s5.
26. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3617; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Ugliest iphone ever. iPhone 4 looked the best, followed by 5, 6 looks like a cheap mixup of samsung front and htc one beauty back.
29. Lalit_Luis (Posts: 4; Member since: 14 Jun 2014)
If apple is going to continue with the big bezels..
they should be prepared to receive enormous flak from around the world.
but I can visualize one thing pretty clearly..Apple fans standing in huge queues outside apple stores to get their hands on these new iphones.
Good that they have a 5.5" version.
Bad that it will have huge bezels.
30. amats69 (Posts: 1129; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
The 5.5 really looks awesome! The black one is more appealing than the white render before....time has come to try iphone! The screen size stops me to buy iphone before..so this is it!this and my m8 powerful gorgeous duo..
31. gust3r3u (Posts: 84; Member since: 11 Apr 2013)
iphoe 5.5 that can handle ipad games is a dream come true
35. x88yunkw (Posts: 68; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
1 hand operation? apple, you forgot u said that before.