Apple comforts Europe's charging connector standard with a EUR 19 Lightning to microUSB adapter
1. tahnik (Posts: 133; Member since: 17 Jul 2011)
Now that is a very good move...Though i still don't see any reason to buy this phone...:P
4. SGSatlantis (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
This is only good for Apple making more money, how it will benefit you? EU made this law to cut back on waste created by cell phone makers(proprietary chargers, adapters, docks...) and this is just wrong.
I agree with the rest of your comment.
9. cheetah2k (Posts: 930; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
Why not just make the iPhone 5 with a microUSB port like every other phone out there???
FFS Apple.... Why do you always have to be the odd one out.
2. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
Would have been best if they had used Micro USB
but hey its apple, incompatability is in the name :(
3. android_hitman (Posts: 736; Member since: 07 Jul 2010)
better would have been to give it for free since it's an EU requirement
greedy apple ... 19euros for a stupid adapter
5. Peter27 (Posts: 233; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
Why should i pay for something that is requirement? Is this not breaking a law?
8. McLTE (Posts: 719; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
wow.. the money Apple will make from these ridiculous adapter alone is crazy!
19 euros for that thing? That's nuts!
I will say though, that I wish that the standard micro USB connector was this one.. the current micro USB connector is so fragile and I have seen the connectors break easily and the little tiny wafer thin board on the phone side break as well.
This is a very well thought out and engineered connector.. HOWEVER.. so irritating that Apple once again has to go proprietary!
11. cheetah2k (Posts: 930; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
I really feel for the people who have recently bought devices with docks based on the old connector. 99% of them wont seat the iPhone 5 properly with the adaptor in place...
IMO, the iPhone 5 should come with these adaptors FREE OF CHARGE..