Samsung ATIV S Neo User Reviews

snowgator posted on Jul 03, 2015, 4:56 PM
Posts: 3614; Member since: Jan 19, 2011

A fine option that can be snagged cheaply.

snowgator has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Please note: This review is for the AT&T version, not the Sprint version.

In this day and age, it is not hard to find an inexpensive Windows Phone device. Nearly 99% of WP's sold are Nokia/Microsoft branded devices, and the vast majority of them are low to mid range WPs. But I had to find a replacement for my HTC One for Windows when I gave up on HTC, and my Lumia 920 just would not take a charge. So I found one of these on EBay for 120$. I remember liking them when I played with them in the stores and I have had good luck with Samsung branded WP's in the past. So I took a flier.

Overall, I am pleased. It updated to WP 8.1 as soon as I initiated the updates. It really does perform well. I have had no lag or stutter, something some underpowered WP's have problems with on 8.1. The screen is large enough at 4.8" to enjoy. It is bright and I have a decent time with reading it outside. I bought an SD card and have all the storage I want.

However, Samsung sold the Neo short in a few areas. It's camera is mediocre, and I am not demanding at all. The build quality is very cheap. You need a case for it, as it is so slippery plastic and light drops are a thing. Also, call quality and audio quality are just bad.

However, it is light years ahead of some of these dirt cheap WP's. I do think it is worth the price they are going at right now. I do not want a monster like the 1520, I did not want another 920. Samsung has supported this, and features like ATIV Beam and...

The plastic won't shatter, but it feels cheap and is unbearably slippery.
No problems holding onto the AT&T signal in my area.
Maybe the worst call quality of any device since the feature phone days.
Performs like a champ. No hesitations, even on the dual-core chip.
No doubt the dual-core chip will show signs of age, but so far I have had no problems with any streaming or multi-media.
Below average shutter speed and details are not impressive. But there are truly good installed tools for editing.
Works like a champ on the WP 8.1 update.
The camera and audio really drag this rating down. But I do love the response, lag-free performance, and the screen.
Excellent.
Works well. Detailed and a good size.
Works forever. The battery performance is fantastic.

Pros

• Good screen
  • Enjoyable, practicle size.
  • Excellent battery life.
  • Lag free performance.
  • Excellent value right now.
  • Samsung has supported this device well and has numerous useful apps for their WPs.

Cons

• Camera is just not good.
  • Call quality is horrid.
  • Audio performance is only fair.