Windows Phone GDR2 update begins its roll out
Turns out that unlocked HTC 8X have started joining in onto Sammy's fun earlier today, which likely confirms that the roll out is already under way.
Some of the new features and functionality we can confirm are to be found in the new update include:
- A new Data Sense feature that will help you track your data consumption
- FM Radio
- You can now set a Camera app of your choice
- VoIP apps like Skype and Lync feature improved stability and performance
- HTML5 improvements
- Other, undisclosed tweaks
You'll probably arrive at the same conclusion that we did: these are all relatively minor. Fortunately, the GDR3 update, also known as Windows Phone Blue, will bring features of a significant importance in comparison. Apart from support for 1080p devices, WP Blue is expected to introduce huge changes such as a new notification center, better multitasking and unknown changes to native Windows Phone apps.
As always, once it's official, you'll be among the first to know.
source: Windows Phone
1. wendygarett (unregistered)
Made it as 1st commenter before TROLL :)
anyway wonder how it performs, any review on it?
2. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
So Gdr2 will take another 2 months to be OTA available.
On Android you can Root and get the feautres straight away.
So Gdr3 will be in 2014 feburary, and another 2 to3 months wait. It will be a strugling inpatient raged wait.
No reviews yet. Have to wait a very Loooooooong time®
Where are all our regular Android fans
3. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Root and void the warranty in a flash, oh wait.
12. hung2900 (Posts: 821; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
In my country, at least with Samsung's devices, any hardware issue can be fixed with the warranty, regardless rooted or cooked ROM or not.
7. grapeseed87 (Posts: 123; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
Haha as always, to get something you gotta break the system first. No support once that. To each their own, on their own.
11. Penny (Posts: 1264; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
GDR2 is already available on some unlocked phones; guess you glossed right over the aricle. T-Mobile devices will start getting GDR2 in 3 days, not 2 months.
On Android you would HAVE TO root to get the features because your device wouldn't be getting the official update anyway.
14. tigermcm (Posts: 752; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
how long does it take non rooted droids to get updates if they even get it at all? in other words what you are saying is you have to manipulate an os that's suppose to be open and customizable in order to get an update??
15. haseebzahid (Posts: 1836; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
its not like android offical ones ur roms can suck all they want who does hard rest their phones every 2 weeks jjust to get update first ahh yes android guys who cant wait for antoher 8 months to receive or maybe never receive update if they dont get the rOMS hahahahahahaaa
4. -box- (Posts: 3878; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Got it on my Lumia 925, which already had the Amber update. There's updates to WiFi, tethering, Storage Check, accessories, a few other things, plus what's mentioned in the article. Nokia & Windows Phone, updating stuff you didn't realize were imperfect or missing, just like they did the first few weeks with my Lumia 900
5. grapeseed87 (Posts: 123; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
Own an HTC 8x unlocked on Tmobile. Haven't seen the update yet. Will keep an eye out on it.
6. icyrock1 (Posts: 306; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
You might not get all of the features, depending on your carrier (Data Sense has to be Carrier enabled to work).
8. tigermcm (Posts: 752; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
wait I thought the blue update was AFTER gdr3
9. Penny (Posts: 1264; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
You are correct as far as I can recall. GDR3 is supposed to be released by the holidays at the end of this year, Blue (8.1) is supposed to be released in first quarter 2014.
13. tigermcm (Posts: 752; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
um nope been reading up gdr3 is NOT blue so this article is wrong even though one was on here stating blue is after
16. theminolaboy (Posts: 128; Member since: 18 May 2013)
any news for lumias here in the philippines?