Windows 8 apps confirmed to run on Xbox One, no word on second-screen controls
Microsoft teased that Windows 8 apps would work on the Xbox One, and has implied that at some point there will be cross-platform gaming between the Xbox One and Windows 8 machines. Nothing has ever been confirmed, but it looks like Dell might have accidentally confirmed that Windows 8 apps will indeed run on the Xbox One, at least "all your favorite Windows 8 apps" will run and sync to your Xbox One.
The question is in how those apps will be controlled. Using a gaming controller can be extremely annoying for TV app input, which is why Microsoft has been pushing its SmartGlass mobile app, so your tablet or phone can act as a second screen (and most importantly, a screen with a quality keyboard).
We assume there will be more Kinect input, but it would make sense for Microsoft to offer a way to control Windows 8 apps on the Xbox One with a phone or tablet. We'll have to wait on that info as it will likely come with the official Xbone release next month.
source: Dell via Neowin
2. reckless562 (Posts: 851; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
Writing with Word while playing Halo? on the SAME screen??? Awweeesommmeee!!
n im a ps4 fan.
9. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 435; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
Word is a program, not a light app that can easily be ran by the XBOne.
12. Dastrix (Posts: 599; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Who knows what M$ got up its sleeve? Just like the Office on WP, maybe there we will have Office for XBOne.
11. Dastrix (Posts: 599; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
LOL that's hilarious! Is that even possible?
3. Jommick (Posts: 208; Member since: 10 Sep 2013)
"no word on second-screen controls" - "...its SmartGlass mobile app, so your tablet or phone can act as a second screen."
As someone with an older xbox 360 and a windows 8 laptop, there's already second screen features available. I might be missing something, but what else is needed?
4. Shatter (Posts: 2030; Member since: 29 May 2013)
So its just a low end gaming computer? Going to laugh if this thing gets emulated in a few years.
5. Miracles (Posts: 534; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
Its like telling a teacher/professor that your HW/Paper was so easy that I did it on my Xbox One while playing Halo. LOL
10. -box- (Posts: 3823; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Especially with voice input, lol. Heck, could use Kinect to play, voice input for paper, and be hands free save for taking the paper from the printer (students still have to print stuff, they just don't typically email them yet, right?
14. Dastrix (Posts: 599; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
And then there's Cortana lol, helping you play and work like a bawsss.
6. adolert15 (Posts: 27; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
Why I would use windows 8 apps on a game console?
7. Shatter (Posts: 2030; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Gimmick features to get casuals to buy an xbone over a PS4.
13. Dastrix (Posts: 599; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
A 'gimmick' feature that PS4 could only dream about...
18. GTR722 (Posts: 241; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
Yeah PS4 only have better hardware, better games and a 100$ less price...
15. cc3493 (Posts: 155; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Question: aren't a lot of samsung phone features gimmicks? Dont they seem to sell heaps of devices? Dont people get that these gimmicks, which are FEATURES, enhance your use of the device and we should be pushing them more?
16. AstronautJones (Posts: 271; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
60 inch screen or same thing on a 5 inch? Hmmmm. I wonder.
8. nlbates66 (Posts: 304; Member since: 15 Aug 2012)
Newsflash to those others who only use consoles for games : we are the minority.
17. AstronautJones (Posts: 271; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
Makes me really consider jumping on that 1520.
Looking better every day.