“The Next Big Thing” campaign lives on newest Galaxy S5 ad, overtly takes aim at iPhone
The full minute ad will certainly get edited for a slew of 30-second spots to get wider TV distribution, but what cannot be discounted is the clear bomb thrown at Apple’s iPhone when it comes time to talk about the camera.
Normally, we would not take any note over such a claim as the Samsung Galaxy S5 has a fine camera. However, we have been catching wind about some folks’ S5’s cameras going on the fritz after a few days of operation and no immediate remedy in sight. The issue with the camera seems to be affecting Verizon customers the most. For now at least, it looks like the only option is to get a replacement under warranty, though a software fix should hopefully solve the problem.
That issue aside, in our review of the Samsung Galaxy S5, we had high praise for the camera. The 16MP sensor is augmented by a host of innovative features courtesy of Samsung. In the ad, Samsung makes a point that the Galaxy S5 camera takes photos with “twice the resolution of the iPhone.”
Samsung has always been a tough competitor to Apple, and the company’s effective marketing often mocks the iPhone faithful. While the camera barb is funny, its timing is going to find frustration with those contending with a “Warning: Camera Failed” issue on their device.
It is also the first time we can think of where the Galaxy S5’s competitor is actually called-out by name. Granted, the call-out would have a bit more sting with a typical Samsung mockery ad, but you never know what the marketing gurus are cooking up next.
1. darkkjedii (Posts: 12620; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I like it, I think it's smart clever, classy. Good job Samsung.
4. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3042; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Agreed, Samsung is amazing at marketing.
27. networkdood (Posts: 6326; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Yeah, it seems pretty good - Samsung is good at pointing out what they can do, over what someone else cannot do...I am looking forward to the Note 4...
50. Nevada (Posts: 13; Member since: 09 Feb 2013)
And what is that Samsung can do what others can't? They copy everything from other manufacturers that's what they can do the best, nothing else. 4K? They're not the first and only, IP certification? Don't be stupid! Heartrate monitor? What a bullsh.t! Fingerprint scan? Or what?
54. Astoni (Posts: 573; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Tbh i don't give a sh*t if a company copies a diffrent one if its a good feature :p. I'd much rather have a perfect phone with every good feature copied than a phone that can't do all the thing i want cause they don't copy..
55. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
life is hard mr butthurt. watch the ad again please.
57. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
You do realize if companies didnt try to use, copy features other companies did first.....it would be a very boring world...with maybe only a few companies worth buying from.
I dont wanna live in that world....I hope you dont too.
61. Ashoaib (Posts: 2428; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Why cant others copy and make such a great phone? bcoz the fact is that they can't do that, they cant do anything except saying that samsung copy from everyone.. thats all what they can say and thats all what some butthurt or buttkicked can say
67. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3042; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
I have never seen a more butt hurt comment in my life. UMADBRO?!
2. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
When Samsung does it, reaction - Oh what a great ad! Samsung rocks! Samsung rule in marketing!
When Nokia/MS do it, reaction - Nokia sucks! MS sucks! Greedy company! Arrogant company!
7. willard12 (Posts: 886; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Microsoft Surface ads were good. Their phone ads were hypocritical. "Can you please move your ginormous phone?" 4 months later, the Nokia 1520 phablet. Side by side comparisons are better than the attempts at comedy.
15. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3042; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Agreed, that's what I have always disliked about Microsoft/Nokia ads. They bash the competition for something and then go and do it themselves.
I will say though, Nokia does have amazing camera's on their high end devices, I just wish they would make a real effort in Android and get out of Microsoft's behind.
49. nlbates66 (Posts: 314; Member since: 15 Aug 2012)
They never bashed competition for screen size, said comments in their ads came the "apple" side, they were making fun of the fight itself, rather than each company.
8. wilsong17 (Posts: 1091; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
nobody care about nokia
if you nokia fan only talk about camera
do you actually think people or the consumers only buy a a stupid phone for a dam camera you must be smoking
12. akki20892 (Posts: 3653; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Nobody care about Nokia, then what I'm here for.
17. maccess (Posts: 633; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
You're here becoz you care anything about samsung.. am i wrong??
56. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
I'd rather spend money on a basic DSLR which is better than the most advanced nokia camera and buy a midrange Samsung device while paying a little more than I would have payed on a 1020 .. I get android, features and tons of goodies. That's what I hear people talking about.
36. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Well ppl do care about the camera too. Ang S5 camera is great too.
But I agree, ppl care not ONLY about camera, when buy smartphone. And S5 is there for that,
(there are great dedicated cameras out there)
10. PBXtech (Posts: 983; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
It's not healthy to take these things personally, you should work on that.
24. Topcat488 (Posts: 1173; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
This isn't about "Nokia" so stop trolling. O.o Samsung makes great phones and has great commercials, aaaaannnnnnddd great after sales support... You mad? O.o
38. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Great phones, and great sales- YES
But I don't see anything so special in this ad(or others)
28. networkdood (Posts: 6326; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
MS just does it in a way that is very inaccurate...
30. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
They say "Oh what a great ad", because they wanna suggest that NOT the great S5 features and specs sell so good , but the Samsung marketing.
All the tech sites was attacking S5 and predcting FLOP, and now they need exuse about their iBSs, when S5 is selling great.
37. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3042; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Very true, that always seems to be the case. The SGS4 still sold extremely well, despite it not doing as good as the SGS3. So many people said the same thing about the SGS5 and yet it's doing very well already. I keep hearing how the SGS5 has one of the best displays, performance, camera, and battery life they have ever used in reviews and yet there are still some who question why it is selling so well.
66. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2714; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Incorrect. The S4 didn't live up to Samsung's sales expectations, which were unrealistic to begin with. It sold better than the S3.
39. shuaibhere (Posts: 1675; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
The difference between samsung and nokia is samsung shows what their phone has over others...
nokia trolls or bashes simply!!.
48. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1472; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Just shows something about the users here.
62. Ashoaib (Posts: 2428; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Bcoz their products are not worthy enough to mock a worthy product, whereas samsung is using a fact.. iphone do have a 8mp, do you think its 80?
9. blingblingthing (Posts: 459; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
Nice. But I prefer when the jabs are done throughout the ad.
11. Sauce (unregistered)
Getting closer to selling a phone without bashing your biggest competitor!
All of that aside, I like this ad a lot. It lets me take them seriously while showing their phone off.
31. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Here they just said the truth about the resolution.
46. Sauce (unregistered)
Yet the iPhone has a brighter crisper more clear screen than most sad sack "feature phones". LOOOOOL
51. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Becauce, no matter that iphone has lower res, lower ppi, and obsolete LCD tech- they have RETINA DISPLAY.
13. Diezparda (Posts: 215; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
Nice ad but they need to do something at their design department, that usb 3 port was an ugly sight because of that waterproof feature. Sony did better job but in exchange the device it self getting bulky.
16. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3042; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Ah yes, the typical "Samsung needs to change their design post"
Why change something that isn't broken? Clearly people don't have a problem with plastic since Samsung sells more devices then they can make and if you have a problem with it, get a phone case. Which most people do any way.
I'm sorry but even if Samsung made a full metal phone, I would still get a phone case for it. Keep it nice and looking new and cracked screens aren't stylish.
20. Diezparda (Posts: 215; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
Typical? i'm using S2, Note 3 and Note 10.1 and never once complain about them and i have no problem with plastic, but ugly device are ugly why they ditch away what already good faux leather with the new "glam" design pattern? it's ait broken eh? and even the most selling device it's not define they are the best device, the marketing did...
I hope they realized it and i won't the same design applies to next Galaxy Note 4.
22. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3042; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
I think the the faux leather back is going to return with the Note 4, it seems like to me they wanted to make it look more like a actual notebook or something along those lines. While it doesn't look as good as the faux leather, the design for the SGS5 is fine to me, it isn't slipperly and isn't a fingerprint magnet. I can't complain about it because again, I am going to get a phone case for my next phone purchase, I always do.
25. Diezparda (Posts: 215; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
Sorry bro but every person may have different taste, i'm okay with using case but if the device it self was already good why it have to? for example is sexy M8 if i end up getting this phone i won't use any case because it will hide the original beauty.
As i know Samsung built quality was very good that my Note 3 already proof it, so i don't need to worry much about damaging the phone.
It's a flagship phone, i rather have more professional and simple looking device than having S5 which kinda ugly and a lil bit childish to me.
26. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3042; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
I can't risk not having a case on my way. I know way too many people with cracked screens and tons of scratches all over it. Sure not everyone is as unlucky as they are but I still can't risk it. I always like to sell my phones at "like new" prices.
42. Diezparda (Posts: 215; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
Good luck to you then. I see your point, my iPad is easily scratch it always using case since first time i purchased, so sad because it's gorgeous and using case doesn't make it look better. But Samsung phone was made from plastic, it's not easily scratch like aluminum so using case won't be necessary at least for me...
63. Ashoaib (Posts: 2428; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
You are right my friend broke his iphone's screen... he used to say that he purchased phone due to its looks and why to make it ugly by a cover? now he says alas! If I had used a cover, I might avoid a loss... so precaution is better than a cure
40. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
The tech media and the iZombies(you) army were bashing the faux leather the same way. But when coudn't convice the ppl that can see it, they(you) stopped now
Same will happen with S5. I can bet on that. S5 looks great and ppl will see it.
45. Diezparda (Posts: 215; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
who the hell are you to told me to shut? Did you see my comment i have Note 3 and i like it but i really hate S5 design because it's ugly and thats my opinion not yours, or you are simply blind?
64. Ashoaib (Posts: 2428; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
No, Sgs5 doesnt look that great but still its decent... where as, the screen of Sgs5 is amazing, really, I havent seen such an amazing display before
33. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Here we go again with the "design" "aluminum" "hairdressers" and Tim Cook
18. STATION7 (Posts: 1; Member since: 25 Apr 2014)
Sounds like Mr Maxwell is a bit biased.. Samsung calling out iPhones inferior camera making you upset in any way?
19. twens (Posts: 699; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
But we all know the galaxies are one of the best cameras you can find on a phone. That isn't bashing apple. At least here on PA. The galaxies have constantly beat out the iPhone when it comes to details. And that's what the add said. They never lied.
21. techloverNYC (Posts: 422; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
Way better ad than the HTC all new ones i think we can all agree.
41. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
HTC M8 POS sell bad, not becaus of the "bad ads"
Searching for excuse???? Right??LOL
Ppl are on the market for good SMARTphones, not for ALUMINUM
47. Supraman21 (Posts: 73; Member since: 09 Jun 2010)
Is your first language English? Ohh and I bought an HTC Once because I was sick of the nasty cheap playschool plastic phones from Samsung. After having a GS1, Galaxy Nexus, and a GS3 the HTC One finally made me feel like my phone was worth the price. Best phone I have ever had.
52. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
"Is your first language English"
What does it matter????
What matters is that millions of ppl buy SMARTphones, NOT aluminum
60. Supraman21 (Posts: 73; Member since: 09 Jun 2010)
Cause the majority of times you post, you don't make any sense. I'd totally understand and forgive you if it wasn't your first language. Lol and yes people do buy phones cause they are made out of premium aluminium. I did lol. All my friends switched over to android from iPhones cause "they finally made a phone thats not plastic"
23. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 440; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
Very nice Samsung. Doesn't seem super over-presented like some of their ads. Darkkjedii worded it very nicely; classy.
29. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3739; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
I wish I had a Samsung Galaxy S5. With the Galaxy S5, I can drive a BMW Mini and have fun all day. What a great phone, the S5. I think if I get this phone and an iPhone 5S, my life will be twice as good. I am so happy to spend a lot of money on Samsung and Apple.
32. asksmart (Posts: 6; Member since: 25 Apr 2014)
the next big thing... will be to confess their sins.
34. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
PA " While the camera barb is funny, its timing is going to find frustration with those contending with a “Warning: Camera Failed” issue on their device."
What?????? Only you PA don't know that “Warning: Camera Failed” has nothing to do with Samsung??? Or you know, but don't like to say the truth?