TSMC in, Samsung out for A8 production?
No matter what the rumor du jour was, the bottom line was always the same. Apple would continue to rely on Samsung to contribute a valuable part for the Apple iPhone and Apple iPad. But a new report out of Taiwan appears to finally put an end to this. According to this report, Samsung will not be producing the A8 chip, leaving it up to TSMC to handle all aspects of its production.
However, the reason for Samsung's decision might not be due to a rivalry, patents or any court battles. As it turns out, Apple wants the chip to be produced using the 20nm process which is something that Samsung has not been able to perfect. It seems that the Korean tech giant has suffered low production yields at 20nm. TSMC, on the other hand, has been able to meet Apple's demands with yields now believed to be as high as 70%.
On the other hand, the A9 will probably be made using the 16nm or 14nm process, and Samsung does have experience in the 14nm arena. So any decision made by Apple for the A8 could just as easily be reversed for the A9.
Thanks, Anonymous Tipsters!
source: TechNews (translated) via GforGames
1. mr.techdude (Posts: 569; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
I don't think the ifans would grasp the real truth about their a7 and under ships being made by Sammy boy. Soooooo.........painfulll :(
4. stealthd (Posts: 1067; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Everyond already knows, it's not a secret. It's still Apple's chip, their own design, just manufactured by Apple.
17. stealthd (Posts: 1067; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Er, typo, manufactured by Samsung. Perhaps soon to be TSMC
20. Topcat488 (Posts: 1229; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Er, typo, Apple is either too lazy, too cheap, or just too dumb to manufacture their own chips i suppose. Hahaha XD
6. Sauce (unregistered)
My girlfriend makes me, or, "puts together" a PB&J sammich. The thing tastes phenomenally good and is outstandingly delicious. Who gets the credit for its taste? My girlfriend? Or the company that created the recipe and sold it to us?
9. nctx77 (Posts: 1006; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
Seriously, if GM designed a the C7 corvette and someone assembled it at a plant, who gets the credit for the C7?
13. Sauce (unregistered)
The robots, which GM also designed.
11. Ninetysix (Posts: 1902; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Is it okay to give credit to TSMC when they produce Qualcomm SoCs then?
21. Topcat488 (Posts: 1229; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Sure that's a fair suggestion, but the Exynos 6 and Exynos S which will be faster then Qualcomm SoC, is all Samsung credits. ;) Haha
24. MySchizoBuddy (Posts: 104; Member since: 23 Aug 2011)
yes that is why samsung uses Qualcomm chips in majority of it's phone.
29. Topcat488 (Posts: 1229; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
You don't know what you're talking about, Samsung only use Qualcomm in some of their flagship phones. Go back into the hospital rubber room where you must have come from with that kind of assumption. LOL ;)
30. xfire99 (Posts: 633; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
More like you dont know what u are talking about. Samsung are using Qualcomm in ALL theirs flagships models that use LTE.
Galaxy S4, Note 3, NotePro LTE = Qualcomm S800
Even upcoming S5 is using Qualcomm S805 and isnt S5 new top flagship model?
Which one of these arent Samsung flagship models?
2. sipha (Posts: 401; Member since: 12 May 2012)
Mmmh, i kind of like this... Hopefully this means samsung will put more resources and effort on their Exynos...
3. zig8100 (Posts: 180; Member since: 13 Dec 2012)
Lets see if they can make reliable chips like sammy. It would be all bad for Apple if those chips start burning out.
12. Ninetysix (Posts: 1902; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Do you know where Qualcomm chips are manufactured?
18. vincelongman (Posts: 2668; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Also, I think Nvidia & AMD chips are also manufacture there
Apple fans don't need to worry, TSMC are just as capable as Samsung, if not more
26. Finalflash (Posts: 2141; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
lol no they're not, I have never seen Nvidia or AMD being happy with the quantity of graphics chips that actually make it out of TSMC. Now with the volume that Apple demands, can't wait for next year's iPhone shortage due to low yields that "were not foreseen".
5. KIANO (Posts: 73; Member since: 13 Feb 2011)
The beginning of profit shortfall from processor production/sales. But no worries for Samsung will always find to innovate new features and design for all their electronics. Also this is good for other manufacturers to source from Samsung for their equipments. Apple may still rely on Samsung in case of backups.
14. superduper (Posts: 151; Member since: 20 Oct 2013)
I hear octa core oven-fridges are the Next Big Thing.
15. joey_sfb (Posts: 4261; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Wow! a fridges that grill, roast, microwave food automatically. I want!!!
7. Sauce (unregistered)
Look at all you production and business majors! It's good to know that the future of my (future) children lay in good hands.
10. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 2734; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
Good. Lets see if they can make them at the same quality. After all, the smaller the chip the harder it I to make.
So lets see if more apps start crashing or what other hiccups an iPhone using the A8 will have.
27. Finalflash (Posts: 2141; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
It won't have problems like that, it will just have insane shortages due to bad production yields. So expect more expensive iPhones and retarded fans paying double for last years internals.
16. twens (Posts: 849; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
I was talking to my girlfriend today and she had to beg me to end the call cos her iPhone 5s was frozen.lol. Apple doesn't have to leave Sammy to get frozen Iphones cos they already do with the help of ios7.lol
22. joey_sfb (Posts: 4261; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Good for you! You can now wear a badge that say; "I am a Android Idiot, my phone freezes on me every week!"
If you can't handle Android, go use a lesser OS.
25. MySchizoBuddy (Posts: 104; Member since: 23 Aug 2011)
if a users android phone freezes he is an idiot. but if an iphone freezes it's probably io7. Remarkable brain you android fanboys have
28. androtaku (Posts: 223; Member since: 12 Dec 2013)
android user tend to think they are superior human being with PHD mind just because they bought an android phone