Symbian Carla and Donna coming down the pipe, Nokia N8 successor to run Donna with dual-core support
The first one is apparently called Carla, grazing on the alphabetical order, and will bring a new 8.0 browser version. Richer widgets, Dolby Surround sound support and enhanced NFC functionality are also in store with it.
Donna, apparently adds the promised dual-core support to Symbian, and rumor has it that the alleged Nokia N8 successor with the optical zoom we heard about recently, will run Donna.
Hopefully that means the N8 follow-up will be dual-core as well, and thus sport 1080p HD video recording, which, together with the optical zoom, will make it a really worthy successor.
source: Twitter via AllAboutPhones (translated)
30. Medel (Posts: 84; Member since: 31 May 2011)
it will bring it on! baby! woooh~~!!! yeaaaah!!! sorry, i have an adrenaline rush! XD
3. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
if symbian had more companys making the phones and supporting the os and developers making more apps for it i think the os could possibly be a serious competitor to ios and android. But only and only if those things happen will they be a competitor.
23. thatdude1 (unregistered)
Symbian was King of the hill long before ios and android came around, and although things have changed, there\'s no way that you can Symbian cannot compete with the two. Symbian phones have more features than any iPhone and is a more powerful OS than android or ios.
29. Medel (Posts: 84; Member since: 31 May 2011)
absolutely GREAT! i'm so, happy and excited to wait this smartphone! : )
5. nanozander (Posts: 72; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
I'm using an N8 right now with 2 year plan. Got it when its first release. Damnit!!! Now i'm frigging torn between wether to switch to Xperia Nozomi or wait for the N8's sucessor which may be another hit and miss...
6. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 400; Member since: 24 May 2011)
Holy..S**T....Return of the king?? To tell you really, the N8s camera is still the best around...
12. ryq24 (Posts: 534; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
you are so right. my friend have a htc sensation and the picture he took with that phone was no way near the image quality of my n8.
7. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
for a dying OS... welcome back,... Symbian.... remixfa missed you...
19. Muhannad (Posts: 455; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Symbian isn't a dying OS, Nokia simply shifted their focus to another platform (Windows Phone 7). Why would they make more Symbian phones if they've dumped the OS?
8. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
Do you have any personal problems with Nokia????? This is not an iOS article.
16. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
in what part of my comment i mention Apple?... or that I have problems with Nokia?... are you ok..?...
17. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
C'm on we all know you are an iOS fan!!! and besides that you are the one that mentioned the ''dying OS''
9. GYNGA (Posts: 19; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
Anna, Belle, Carla, Donna? Really? Congrats for Nokia for copying Android's naming system.
20. Muhannad (Posts: 455; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
GTFO, Android names it's OS versions after desserts. Symbian uses names for a sexy European female.
10. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
what a nice joke! I thumbed you down though!
11. bbblader (Posts: 583; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
wait how is girl names copying androids sweets' names?
wait a f-in second when we first saw symbian belle unanounced it was about a week before 18th august when we got the anna update! so that either means its coming possibly in 18th november which is 2 days from now or the end of this month or sometime in december
13. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
He's just jelous because his android phone is not gonna get that many updates.
33. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 804; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
About the not gonna get that many updates part, Are you sure about that?
14. tango_charlie (Posts: 91; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
According to that leak Symbian Donna will arrive at the end of 2012/ beginning of 2013! And only dual-core symbian phones will get it. So the N8 successor will come preloaded with Carla. Don’t know if it has a dual core cpu, but for 1080p recording you don’t need that. A strong broadcom GPU could do that job either.
31. lubba (Posts: 1311; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
Who and why would anyone thumb this comment down?
15. karanstyle (Posts: 188; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I knew it. After all its Nokia the Innovator... ;-) KEEP UP!!
18. rafael.roque (Posts: 78; Member since: 03 Jul 2010)
Very Happy N8 user is even much more happier now!
Nokia, it's still not to late to get off the "microsoft" bandwagon and pave your own way again with Symbian and Meego :)! "Innovation thru independence"
21. Muhannad (Posts: 455; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
The King of all Camera Smartphones: The Sequel
22. berniecalo (Posts: 7; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
I love Nokia and Symbian! Live long and prosper!
24. Just_a_boy (Posts: 183; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Waiting for it maybe in Brazil will cost my legs and my arms like iPhone(USD 1340) or Galaxy SII (USD 1400) but ill save money and buy it i got my N8 for (USD 800) is sad.
34. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 804; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
What $800? seriously? that kinda sucks, anyways in my country symbian phones are way cheaper than their android counterparts, so this will surely be cheaper than any High end Android and esp. iPhones. . .
25. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
dying os? what is your definition of dying os. is it os which receives so many updates and will get updates to 2016?
your ios is not compatibile with previous gen of phones. well, officialy of course to make more money.
and android? ics will be available only for small amount of older phones. the rest will stay with gingerbread or even older. the same with Symbian. so what is your problem with Symbian? your ios is still like a child among smartphones with silly restrictions and stupid company policy.
3 official updates and many more a little bit smaller and you still call it dying os. you have no right to talk about Symbian because you dont have Symbian handset. go play with your fart applications, douchebag.
you have some problem with interpretating the reality or you want to believe that you are so cool and special so hard that you cannot see things the way they are?
26. 530gemini (Posts: 2198; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)
I wonder why android fanboys aren't trolling on here. Oh yes, because android fanboys were/are nokia lovers before they became android fanboys, and that explains why they hate Apple so much. And android is their saving grace to have an iphonesque device :)
27. Tatperson (Posts: 58; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
Seeing how Symbian Belle looked , and actually trying out the Nokia 701, I am confident for the future Symbian releases and the devices which are gonna run it :)
28. Medel (Posts: 84; Member since: 31 May 2011)
Nokia Will Rule Again! and i really love my Nokia N8. the Best Camera Phone in the World! can't wait for N8's successor. i hope it'll have a larger screen and HD display.