Sony sells 12 million Xperias in Q4, smartphone division swings to profit
1. Amir1 (unregistered)
17. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3718; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
That's some positive news from Sony.
2. warlok (Posts: 3; Member since: 13 Aug 2014)
or 9.9 billion during the summer quarter...
If they were selling a billion phone they would been marking huge profilts already...!!!
4. hellbread (Posts: 309; Member since: 21 Nov 2014)
I wouldn't like to see Sony leave phone scene.
5. LeBrownJames (Posts: 201; Member since: 17 Mar 2014)
Sony won't go down that easy. Hope this trend will continue this year. Sony FTW!
19. KParks23 (Posts: 618; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
If they keep improving there phones like they have been and can manage to get on all the usa carriers on time they should do very well. and a commercial here and there wouldnt hurt!
6. hboy857 (Posts: 349; Member since: 03 Jun 2013)
I really hope they that they wouldn't sell their mobile division. HTC and Sony are the only android manufacturer that bring genuine gorgeous looking and premium feeling smartphone in the market. Motorola has also created a very good looking and premium feeling smartphone with their moto X (2014). I hope this trend continue with other manufacturers.
I also hope they continue their gorgeous omnibalance design but reserve that design language for their flagship devices. They should employ new design for their mid-low end phones. They shouldn't water down their design language just like samsung did with their galaxy series.
7. meanestgenius (Posts: 11591; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Great job, Sony! I have always personally thought that Sony was one of the better Android OEM's. Glad to see that their smartphone division is bouncing back. Keep it up, Sony!
13. faizan-sharif (Posts: 97; Member since: 26 Jun 2013)
great to see there are some other people like me who think sony is best +1
15. meanestgenius (Posts: 11591; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Sony is a great company with a fantastic ecosystem. I truly hope that their smartphone division remains on an upward track.
If I ever decide to go full-on Android, it would be a Sony smartphone.
8. vuyonc (Posts: 1014; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
As long as they stick to one full size flagship for the year, one SD610/615 midranger with the 16MP IMX230, SD410 version of the E4, get their 2014 midrangers to Lollipop with their Z series and unify kernels for more custom ROMs, things can only go up. The 10 hour on screen time/3 day battery life mark is theirs for 2015 too. 70 million units sold for 2015 I bet if they keep things streamlined.
9. deanylev (Posts: 213; Member since: 11 Mar 2014)
Absolutely fantastic! I thought Sony's mobile division would die off after bleeding so much money, but glad they didn't, but Z2 is AMAZING
29. Djz89 (Posts: 310; Member since: 25 Aug 2014)
Yes! Z2 is a great phone. Absolutely no problems for almost a year now. I will stick to the xperia line-up as long as they keep this(z2) quality standard!
30. Djz89 (Posts: 310; Member since: 25 Aug 2014)
Agreed, it's been some sad news lately. Finally something good happends for sony aswell
11. Chuck007 (Posts: 1110; Member since: 02 Mar 2014)
Hmm.. so their plans to sell off their mobile unit is put on hold I take it?
Happy to see them making profits again. I love Sony.
12. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Oooo this is great news! Now Sony needs to get innovating and change their business strategy.
14. rency0722 (Posts: 157; Member since: 12 Jun 2013)
Now, unleash the beast of IMX230 and SD810-4GB RAM tandem in the Z4
18. josephnero (Posts: 555; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
lets hpe this is the first of many good news for sony to come
20. pyradark (Posts: 857; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Finally they hit 12M, cant wait For the corresponding revenue with that sales!!
Congrats and hope to see 15M quarterly
22. JaroB (Posts: 107; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
SONY XPERIA Z3 Compact is the BEST ....GO SONY GO
23. isprobi (Posts: 654; Member since: 30 May 2011)
Well maybe there is hope for production of the Z4 Ultra after all. My Z Ultra is nice but the technology is starting to get old.
24. techloverNYC (Posts: 601; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
Sony time to take the Andriod throne :}
26. checkmymike (Posts: 148; Member since: 28 Dec 2011)
This is a positive news for sony! I just love them!
27. Skizzo (Posts: 37; Member since: 14 Jul 2013)
It's great to see. It would be a big shame to lose such an important player in the game.
Sony has played an important role (dare I say a leading role) in the tech world for so long, and their phones are finally showing the maturity that comes from such a strong history.
They just need to continue on this path and not ease up or give up.
Same goes for HTC.
The more players, the better the game!
31. WallStreet (Posts: 256; Member since: 21 Sep 2014)
Great! Just bring on the Z4s! What would Sony be without Viaos and now Xperias- can't happen period
32. gosselin (Posts: 89; Member since: 22 Sep 2014)
Z3 Compact is amazing, and I love mine. No wonder Sony made good sales in 3Q 2014.
33. ESilber (Posts: 49; Member since: 01 Feb 2015)
Then Z4 will be crucial. I hope Z4 will come with the best specs and attractive design.