Sony, Lenovo, Huawei and ZTE to launch MediaTek-based quad-core phones soon: are the cheap 1080p devices coming?
The quad-core MT6589 might not be among the most powerful ones out there, but it delivers a very solid performance for an extremely low price that allows Chinese manufacturers like Umi to deliver 1080p 5-inch phones with an IPS screen for a price of around $200 or less. That is the off contract price, nearly three times less than what known manufacturers charge for their 1080p smartphones.
With Sony, Lenovo, Huawei and ZTE on board, though, that might be a huge opportunity for Taiwanese chip maker MediaTek to start rivalling the bigger chip makers like Qualcomm and Samsung.
1. joesseth posted on 22 Mar 2013, 04:19 25 0
As an honest consumer, I don't like the sound of "Cheap", use "more affordable" instead.
10. mafiaprinc3 posted on 22 Mar 2013, 09:07 2 0
googd point because alot of these high end phone aren't worth the price with all the problems with build quality and phone dying radomly.
2. BitterTruth (unregistered) posted on 22 Mar 2013, 04:42 11 0
Thanks for caring about those who can't afford high end phones
6. xperiaDROID posted on 22 Mar 2013, 07:21 4 1
I agree! Thanks to Sony, Lenovo, Huawei and ZTE, I hope their smartphones will become a big hit!
8. xperiaDROID posted on 22 Mar 2013, 07:59 5 0
Of course I know, I didn't even say Sony is cheap, I only said thanks to them for making affordable smartphones. Geez....
11. mafiaprinc3 posted on 22 Mar 2013, 09:14 2 0
did u even read his comment man. geeez
4. Bozzor posted on 22 Mar 2013, 05:41 4 0
With 3D gaming, this CPU would have a heart attack, but really, if all someone does with a 1080p phone is basic websurfing, videos, music and apps such as newsreaders, location software and social media, then this chip is pretty much fine...and with stellar battery life.
15. SamuraiCER posted on 23 Mar 2013, 09:33 0 0
Not really, the PowerVR gpu on this chip isn't too much of a slouch
5. istitch posted on 22 Mar 2013, 06:24 5 0
That's a right move for Sony to not place their products high as apple
9. ktime posted on 22 Mar 2013, 08:07 3 0
In another word, they provide CHOICE where apple is none
12. Sangeet posted on 22 Mar 2013, 11:06 2 0
India is rocking with MediaTek Chipsets, i am loving it, now everyone here can get a quad core phone with a HD Screen for $200. Thanks to companies like Micromax and others..
14. rusticguy posted on 22 Mar 2013, 19:00 1 0
Micromax Karbon et al have 40% of market share i guess. Mciromax should increase builtin storage to 16gb as bare min.