Snapdragon 820 unveiled: coming with Kryo CPU, Qualcomm's first custom 64-bit core
8. vincelongman (Posts: 3994; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I can't find any details about this 820
Strange since Qualcomm usually boast about their SoCs quite a lot
9. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
They have just thought about the chip. It's far from final details and production. I guess we'll receive first phones in Q1 2016.
13. havefunlets889 (Posts: 16; Member since: 23 Feb 2015)
"They just thought about the chip" - this maybe one of the stupidest comment I read in a while. It takes at least 3 years for a custom chip to go from design table to the final production. That means Qualcomm has been working on "Kryo" from the beginning of 2013 or maybe even earlier. So no they didn't just thought about the chip, they have been working on "Kryo" for a very long time.
16. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
Thought about means preparing the architecture and thinking abut the details of the architechture. -_-
24. ankitp (Posts: 138; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
thinking about details of the architecture ?? how could that giant processor compay qualcomm announce before thinking what would be their next architecture be like...they are into it..not thinking ..they would have been studied years before announcing infront of the mass ,thats so silly to make that big move without thinking and studying pros and cons lol
14. vincelongman (Posts: 3994; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
There's literally no details except the name of their next custom core
Maybe this seems like a panic announcement to try move attention of the performance issues with the 810 on the G Flex 2 and One M9
20. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1507; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
Looks like that to me. They know they are going to lose the performance battle against Exynos7420 in phones and Tegra X1 in tablets, so they are trying to shift attention to their future plans.
(Even the first nice tablet announced already uses Snapdragon 810).
25. ankitp (Posts: 138; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
may be panic announcement?? man it's not leaked and they are not talking about future possiblilities....how could a big oem promise if they cannot deliver it in future??
44. cheetah2k (Posts: 1499; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
The Future is Exynos... They know it too lol ..
30. Awalker (Posts: 1368; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
To be fair Qualcomm's roadmap for the second half of 2015 leaked out a couple of months ago and PA did an article on it.
43. vincelongman (Posts: 3994; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
That's actually a fake leak
The 620 was announced to have A72 cores, not Taipan cores
And now the 820 is announced to have Kryo cores, ton Taipan cores
2. techperson211 (Posts: 1163; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
Hopefully Sony will opt for this for their Z4 and z4c if there will be z4c.
4. hboy857 (Posts: 349; Member since: 03 Jun 2013)
Not going to happen. SD820 phones will arrive at the end of 2015 and first half of 2016 (Read the anandtech article).
Anyway, no worries. I saw couple of videos where M9 performs really well. Really fluid performance. Looks like the second batch of SD810 have none of the overheating issues that plagued the first batch.
6. Captain_Doug (Posts: 987; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Z4/Z4C haven't been released/announced yet. Could be delayed until then. It's feasible. I would be fine either way.
19. Fardon (Posts: 95; Member since: 24 Nov 2014)
Lol its not going to happen.
Sony simply cannot afford to just delay their mobile a whole year for a new processor...Just imagine If OEMS really did that, we'd be waiting forever for new phones.
The Z4 is using the 810 and its as simple as that.
31. Captain_Doug (Posts: 987; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Who said anything about delaying a year? Says they're sampling this half of 2015. Another few months and it could be released. That's ~6 months. They can afford to wait if it's for something that big. I'm just saying it's a possibility. I wouldn't be crass enough to say what they will or won't do.
32. Commentator (Posts: 3655; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
It says they're sampling in the second half, not this half.
15. techperson211 (Posts: 1163; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
We all know that Sony mobile division is in need of a game changer in their sales figure . With 810/820 and availability worldwide not to mention right pricing same as the m4. Then I guess they'll be back in the game.
17. hboy857 (Posts: 349; Member since: 03 Jun 2013)
Xperia Z3 series is a hit lineup for Sony. Z3 series is the reason Sony mobile saw profit in Q4 2014. Especially Z3C is selling really well. If they keep producing excellent product like Z3C and priced it competitively I think Sony mobile will be fine.
26. j2001m (Posts: 2758; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
The m9 is very big so I ne thinking no big problem, it's close to the dev phome
42. AppleCultist (banned) (Posts: 335; Member since: 18 Feb 2015)
Really? because Anandtech reported that the M9 lags and stutters.
3. usermaxthon (Posts: 70; Member since: 20 Jan 2015)
Awesome. I've been waiting for this. Good job Qualcomm. Next year phones will be awesome.
5. techperson211 (Posts: 1163; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
Yeah I think 810 has a lot of issues the reason why they release these 820 earlier. Hopefully they'll step up the game cause Samsung and other chip maker are ahead of them.
7. mostafawael.1998 (Posts: 240; Member since: 01 Oct 2014)
I will wait then. Better wait for a powerful correct SoC.
12. Kruze (Posts: 1285; Member since: 30 Dec 2014)
Kinda. Could be due to the overheating and throttling issue on the 810. If that's not the case, then they would've unveiled this 820 in IFA.
29. Mutation.X (banned) (Posts: 185; Member since: 09 Feb 2015)
Snapdragon were always outdated. Another overrated hyped products like Apple.
36. Trex95 (Posts: 877; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Apple is overrated hyped Lol. So this the reason why Samsung copied Apple iPhone 6 and iPhone 4s including Xperia's z ultra desgin and call it galaxy S6..! Yeah I agree that Samsung manufacturing excllent chipsets and Nand flash, but don't rush it cause the next overrated hyped as you mentioned above iPhone 6 S and 6 plus S or 7 and 7 plus going to packed with the same 14nm chipset call it A9 and more powerful GPU than any smart phone in the market.
47. yoosufmuneer (Posts: 1471; Member since: 14 Feb 2015)
A9 is gonna be manufactured by Sammy. The combination of GS4+Z3+Iphone 4s+ Iphone 6 is great and like they said it is designed for a purpose. Apple has slowly copied many things from Samsung and other OEMs. Samsung is way better than Apple in many areas.
Some apple products are really just overrated hype like the iphone and the ipad. There isn't anything really changed that much. S6 Edge is better than any smartphone in the market IMO.
You say that Samsung copied apple. What about Ativ S, Note 2 and S3. They had seamless edges before Apple. Why don't you think about it?
11. Kruze (Posts: 1285; Member since: 30 Dec 2014)
The Z4 must have this! And if possible, the G4 should have this as well. But I think most likely the Z4 will have this, I hope that's one of the reasons why Sony is delaying the Z4. I'm really excited!
27. j2001m (Posts: 2758; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
None of them will have this. It will not be used to dec/jam next year, dream on, the only phone that will be any good with the 810 is the m9 due to the size of the phone and the good os code and that's it, but then it will not even be close to the speed of the samsung s6
18. Zekreon (Posts: 6; Member since: 18 Feb 2015)
Finally 820 with custom cores will be able to obliterate Intel core i7 on CPU and nvidia x1 on GPU,can't wait.
21. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1507; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
You dream on both sides... Both the SoCs you metion have a higher TDP than the 820 will have, so it won't really come close.
Not to mention:
by that time Nvidia will have a new chipset too.
i7 means really nothing... As thre are i7 in several nodes/technologies and TDPs.
28. j2001m (Posts: 2758; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
Ha it be up to the 7420 levels and only if they go 14nm or its doa
37. renz4 (Posts: 317; Member since: 10 Aug 2013)
i take that as a joke. but GPU side on the mobile i think only Imagination Technologies probably will be able the capabilities to go head on with nvidia. actually i still think Imagination is better but nvidia is start to take mobile GPU more seriously. and they are catching up to Imagination. and in terms of API support right now nvidia is ahead of Imagination where their gpu able to support full openGL down to the latest version of OpenGL 4.5.
38. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1507; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
You may be right and he may be jocking, but he was posting the same in gsmarena. It may be that he only needs to add an smiley to his post ;)
As for the best GPU I think Tegra has now the best one on mobile. Why? Because the Tegra K1 and the GXA6850 were very near in performance (OK, GXA6850 a bit higher) BUT:
1) k1 had better API support
2) K1 was built on 28nm, while GXA6850 was on 20nm
3) GXA6850 is not strictly speaking ImaginationTech, as it's a side product created by Apple. The most powerful from ImTech was the GX6650 at the date, and was inferior to K1.
Of course those are things that can be argumented one side or the other, not real had facts.
41. renz4 (Posts: 317; Member since: 10 Aug 2013)
to me Imagination might have advantage because they were in the mobile for a lot longer than nvidia and they have been licensing their GPU core for a long time. nvidia mobile graphic right now only exclusive to their tegra chip. they did mention about licensing K1 graphic core to others but so far i haven't heard anyone take that. with K1 nvidia was the only player with full opengl support. i think we probably can thank nvidia for that because Imagination will also have new GPU with full opengl support:
AFAIK Imagination PowerVR only targeting OpenGL ES with their GPU in the past
22. Cyberchum (Posts: 661; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Oh! How the fast changing smartphone world have spoilt us.
33. mostafawael.1998 (Posts: 240; Member since: 01 Oct 2014)
Maybe the "HTC One M9 Plus" will have it ? Maybe they did not announce it as it will be ridiculous.
34. kerginaldo17 (Posts: 166; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
Samsung continues chasing the perfect processor =http://androidheadlines.com/20
39. Manux (Posts: 26; Member since: 29 Jan 2015)
Snapdragon 810 and 615 it's way to fast already, hmm
40. Zekreon (Posts: 6; Member since: 18 Feb 2015)
@TylerGrunter +1 for noticing that I was on gsmarena.I was not joking but hoped that snapdragon 820 would defeat tegra x1 because I wanted that power on smartphone not tablet.As for your other part I agree with you that the power of a CPU lies in its architecture not in its processing nod,example-20nm vs 28nm.
46. renz4 (Posts: 317; Member since: 10 Aug 2013)
by the time 820 arrive nvidia also have new chip that will be competing directly against 820. GPU wise i don't think Qualcomm will ever beat nvidia. sure they might win in benchmark but when running real application or games nvidia will come out on top. last time adreno 330 beating nvidia gpu in tegra 4 was because nvidia was using their very old architecture. but nvidia still winning when it comes to driver efficiency.
45. yoosufmuneer (Posts: 1471; Member since: 14 Feb 2015)
Touch ID- Sense ID. Couldn't they name it better?
49. ToxicTaZ (Posts: 1; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
Windows 10 Phone to use custom 64-bit 8 cores "Kryo" CPU & "Adreno 530" GPU in November 2015.