SmokedbyWindowsPhone takes over the city of Toronto
Check out the video below of a young man named Corey putting up his Apple iPhone 4S against a Nokia Lumia 900. The task was to find a list of local GTA eateries and the Nokia Lumia 900 handled it faster by coming up with a listing of a Tim Hortons restaurant before Corey even had opened his map application. Microsoft originally gave out new Windows Phone handsets to the losers until it was discovered that some were losing on purpose in order to snag a free phone.
According to Mobile Syrup, the crowd consisted mostly of BlackBerry users (it WAS Canada, after all), Apple iPhone owners and those clutching their Android handsets. The site noted that very few in the crowd had heard of Windows Phone and an even fewer number were carrying one around. Can a promotion like this one garner enough word of mouth for Windows Phone to help it become a stronger competitor?
One interesting note. The video of the contest that you can view below was taken on an Android powered HTC One X.
1. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
Show me the smoke challenge.. bring it on..
Ill smoke any Windows Phone with my arc S
This challenge is also quite silly, Microsoft employees being trained to do one thing for hours and remember they get PAID for it!! so when catching anyone off guard definitely that person cant compete
PS: I have a windows phone (omnia 7), if you watch the video he has probably minimized that app from where he find's the nearby restaurants...
Nice one microsoft... can your phone send files from bluetooth??? NO?? awww
15. joaolx (Posts: 354; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I think that he did that way to fast, I'm actually a little suspicious. In my opinion the fastest phone is not the selling point, my problem and is about functionality and wp7 fails in many things.
24. T12RYK (Posts: 98; Member since: 10 Jun 2011)
I had a Windows phone and I can honestly say that he wasn't cheating or anything. It really is that fast at doing certain things, its just a matter of keeping the search button 'long pressed' and then tap on the local search button and its done.
Only bad thing is that it's missing some things which is why I'm back to iOS for now at least.
30. wp74ver (banned) (Posts: 62; Member since: 10 May 2012)
Just can't wait to see wp8 with a dual core lol and 500 new features, this haters get so mad the been getting smoke lol .
28. haseebzahid (Posts: 1831; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
then why the hell would an ordinary Ifool or Fandroid with lack of training on their devices whould like to challange the profetionals of WP. its abvious those fools think they mobiles are awsome while they forget who they are
36. Pancholo (Posts: 377; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Since you started it...
Whew. My twitching stopped.
44. haseebzahid (Posts: 1831; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
well if i had auto correct on my pc would be lovly :P and i write in the DARK muahahahahah
37. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Also, you need to capitalize the beginnings of your sentences. Oh, and punctuate as well. Also, the 'i' at the beginning of an Apple product should always be lowercase (for some reason).
Just make your sentences legible. Your first sentence hardly even makes sense.
45. haseebzahid (Posts: 1831; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
well to all of u noobs thats what u can do all your life time correct english i can hire u as my "sectry" correct this one for me as well slave and i love to screw englishie
48. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Good luck getting an education. You're going to need a "sectry" all throughout college.
50. haseebzahid (Posts: 1831; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
err sorry i am already employed with no english required so its all forgin language for me dont so i give it a much try at all
46. haseebzahid (Posts: 1831; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
haha u must be a iTeacher thahahaha thats explains a lot iFOOL
49. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
I am far from an Apple fan. I'm the biggest Android fan you'll ever meet. All I do is promote intelligence (which you seemingly lack), not Apple's products.
51. haseebzahid (Posts: 1831; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
oh plz a man with smartphone doest prove that he is intellegent and if u want to judge only by words and then u are ignorant since it is never my language so why should i even bother to improve it. and i am engineer lol does not require any of english there and so u are a teacher for sure othervise u would have shutup
2. imsickwithphone (banned) (Posts: 76; Member since: 17 May 2012)
Yeah, I got smoked from ciggeratte smoke
3. akshaye.shenoi (Posts: 24; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
I've got the lumia and im literally MINDBLOWN..
This OS is like heaven. It is awesome. Now obviously the android pack is going to hate this comment. So what if Bluetooth files transfer is not possible? The UI is SO good. The animations are just out of the world! Believe me, no OS has been THIS good in terms of social networking. The experience for me has been just phenomenal.
5. the_s2 (Posts: 206; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Seriously? Social networking integrated into some tiles is all you care about? I never owned a windows phone handset. I was hoping to get a lumia 800 as a secondary phone. After going through that article about 101 reasons why you shouldnt get a windows phone, Im a lot wiser. I am replacing the lumia 800 with some upcoming Nokia Carla handset(As I was a die hard symbian fan once) or a Nokia 111(I'm sure the lumia 800 cant do many things which this phone can do.)
16. akshaye.shenoi (Posts: 24; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
As a matter of fact, i bought the Lumia 800 AFTER reading the 101 reasons article (it took a lot of will power) but i was SO amazed by the UI that i just couldn't resist it. In terms of bluetooth file transfer and other stuff it can't do, it's quite the same like iOS. Its a closed OS. I definitely agree that file managing is s**t in Windows Phone AND it is problematic. Now its my opinion that i wanted it coz of the UI. You can't just hate other people's opinions because you don't like it. People have bought it and they pretty much like it.
33. Whateverman (Posts: 3223; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Quit thumbing the guy down for liking his phone! There's nothing wrong with askshaye enjoying Windows over Android or iOS. Calm down guys.
39. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Woah. I read that 101 article just now. Thanks for pointing that out. That's a LOT of missing features. I'm a power/efficiency/file management freak and that just made sure that I never get a Windows Phone.
8. frydaexiii (Posts: 1235; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Wow, tiles after tiles after tiles, SO good! and oh man, those animations! No wonder the iPhone is selling well, people just love repeated crap with no personality and fancy animations to hide loading times.
17. ashu277 (Posts: 18; Member since: 20 May 2012)
awsum fone lumia is....luv lumia 900 ......which nokia sold over 250 million in less than 2 months :)
35. akshaye.shenoi (Posts: 24; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
You've got your stats completely wrong. I think you've put an extra zero.
47. allen83 (Posts: 107; Member since: 01 Mar 2012)
and you forgot your decimal point in between the 2 and 5 number. :)
4. akshaye.shenoi (Posts: 24; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
And even if the guy with the iPhone was as familiar with the task as the other guy, he would still have been SmokedbyWindowsPhone. WP7 is pretty fast.
6. steelicon (Posts: 313; Member since: 02 Apr 2011)
Challenge #01 : Replace battery.
Challenge #02 : Display through HDMI on HDTV.
Challenge #03 : Take picture then send file through Bluetooth.
9. Gmaheshzx (Posts: 2; Member since: 16 Dec 2011)
i decided not to buy an windows after reading 110 reasons not to buy windows phone article and i also dont buy the iphone because i cant afford it and i hate it
14. joaolx (Posts: 354; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I was so disappointed for that. So many reasons and many of them a big failure.
10. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
I've always find this marketing campaign weird.., :s
11. shy2papa (Posts: 209; Member since: 23 Jan 2010)
What this crap is still on when WP7 cant do 101 things s**t
52. haseebzahid (Posts: 1831; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
wao can u use apple or android for cleaning ur s**t i guess not so moblies are not for doing all the things for you lazy old man try doing some of those 101 things yourself for now :P
12. angelesmec (unregistered)
I would to like have one too.. someone send me a free lumia 900 & i wll take care of it! xD
13. imsickwithphone (banned) (Posts: 76; Member since: 17 May 2012)
For me, people who are using WP7 phone are mostly from ios,android,blackberry, symbian users who are boring with their previous ui, os etc bla bla bla
19. mambocream (Posts: 27; Member since: 10 Jun 2011)
How Profound! Couldn't you pretty much say that about any OS?
20. allen83 (Posts: 107; Member since: 01 Mar 2012)
Meego and Symbian is still the best! Eventhough in the Philippines they launch a Lumianation windows phones doesn't still ring a bell to me here Symbian, Meltemi and Meego still the best to me.
27. TROLL.ISAHA (banned) (Posts: 535; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
True its much better than windows......
21. ashu277 (Posts: 18; Member since: 20 May 2012)
Symbian will rise again...nokia is strong and wont let tht platform go outdated ..n surely will reveal new symbian os lyk CARLA OR DONNA
32. allen83 (Posts: 107; Member since: 01 Mar 2012)
I really would love to see a Symbian Carla or Donna phone. Because that would be my next phone after my n9
22. imsickwithphone (banned) (Posts: 76; Member since: 17 May 2012)
In term of file sharing, android is still THe KING
Why must we need to use computer, zune, itunes, bla bla bla for just sending a picture, song, video, or even apps between other phones??
23. ashu277 (Posts: 18; Member since: 20 May 2012)
bt i don think any android device gt NFC lyk NOKIA? :D
25. imsickwithphone (banned) (Posts: 76; Member since: 17 May 2012)
Yeah, you are right
They are just started to used NFC in windows phone
But and again, there are some limitations
41. wassup (Posts: 565; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
Nexus S, SIII, some others, all have NFC... Nokia isn't special anymore
31. wp74ver (banned) (Posts: 62; Member since: 10 May 2012)
Ppl really when the hell have I sent files using Bluetooth you gotta be a loser lol ,but that's no the point is windows phone 7 ,have all of you hating like this ,just imagine when wp8 comes out lol and trust me ppl hate on good products and wp7 is just getting better .
42. steelicon (Posts: 313; Member since: 02 Apr 2011)
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." - Voltaire
"The best is the enemy of the good." - Voltaire
This is supposed to be THE Nokia /FLAGSHIP/ @ $700+ USD yet the Nokia 701 @ $385+ USD, a Symbian Belle FP1 device with a /DEAD OS/, can do more than this Windows Phone.
40. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
The only way this challenge would have been cool is if microsoft let us decide to do. For example, when I did the challenge the guy said to find the weather in boston. Of course it only takes him 2 seconds because he already has it preloaded in his weather hub. How about at the very least you let me choose the city.