Samsung and Nokia to be a part of NTT Docomo's 5G trials in Japan
The testing will involve the usefulness of running 5G speeds on high frequency bands above 6GHz. 5G involves data-transmission at a high-speed of 10Gbps, which is 1000 times the capacity of current 4G LTE. The test will determine how well this frequency will support 10Gbps, even if a large number of devices are trying to connect to the network at the same time, in a small area. Docomo will begin testing 5G this year, inside at its R&D Center in Yokosuka, Kanagawa Prefecture. Outdoor trials will begin next year.
The data that comes out of the testing will be shared with with research institutions and global conferences so that international standards for 5G can be hammered out. The discussions to determine exactly what the standards for 5G will be, should start in earnest in 2016.
source: NTTDocomo via Engadget
1. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1214; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Damn 10gps... Too bad the U.S. carriers will create its own 5G standards with 100mps and try to sell it to the general public as the amazing 5G...
4. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6239; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
by then we will say goodbye to 2gb down to 500mb of data
9. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1214; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Nuh, we'll have unlimited of data by then, but get throttled by the time we used 500mb of data.
3. PressStart (Posts: 113; Member since: 08 Apr 2014)
5g, damn! I can't even get 3g with TMo in my area.
5. D79_D79_ (Posts: 38; Member since: 19 Feb 2014)
I pay enough for 4G so im not in no rush for 5G. Bring on the project for free world wifi :)
6. 0xFFFF (Posts: 2600; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
So much more could be done with a pervasive, high capacity, low power, super reliable, 4G network.
7. Arte-8800 (limited) (Posts: 4054; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
I think everyone is happy with 4gLte speeds
I have 20Gb 4G a month which isn't bad
8. romeo1 (Posts: 197; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
Here in holland we have 50mbps max
At least with my provider.
For now that is fast enough but with 4k upcoming i think it would be handy to have 5g