Samsung Galaxy S5 size comparison: the next big thing, literally 'big'
You can spot the difference best in comparison, and that’s why we suggest you take a look right below where we compare Samsung’s brand new ‘big thing’ against its most popular rivals.
Smartphones are indeed growing larger every year and it doesn’t take a genius to notice this, and the Galaxy S5 is a good example. It’s actually grown closer to devices like the Xperia Z series, which in turn are dangerously close to phablets.
Take a look below to see how the Galaxy S5 looks when put alongside the Galaxy S4, Note 3, iPhone 5s, LG G2 and all its popular rivals.
142 x 72.5 x 8.1 mm
5.11 oz (145 g)
151.2 x 79.2 x 8.3 mm
5.93 oz (168 g)
138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9 mm
5.04 oz (143 g)
137.4 x 68.2 x 9.3 mm
5.04 oz (143 g)
142 x 72.5 x 8.1 mm
5.11 oz (145 g)
146.8 x 73.3 x 8.2 mm
5.75 oz (163 g)
157.9 x 81.9 x 8.3 mm
6.07 oz (172 g)
137.84 x 69.17 x 8.59 mm
4.59 oz (130 g)
29. darkkjedii (Posts: 12375; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
$199-299 on contract like most flagships. Off contract probably 700-800$
2. Skoms (Posts: 118; Member since: 03 Feb 2014)
Sony Z2 or Samsung S5
They are both water resistent
31. rueleonheart (Posts: 20; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
Would seriously consider Z2 if not for the scratch prone screen protector on top of the real glass.
32. pwnarena (Posts: 959; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
then remove it. that's a rather unsound reason.
i'll understand if you won't like the z2 because of the size. it's not as compact as the s5 but it has a considerably bigger battery. front facting stereo speakers and a larger camera sensor.
i thought i wouldn't like this refresh. i actually like it now. just have to wait for the price drop.
also, there will definitely be bugs andcomplaints so will just have to wait for a while
39. UglyFrank (Posts: 546; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
The battery on this won't last as long as the S5
8. rickysam (Posts: 44; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
s5 its water resistant and more compact most probably with a better camera excellent battery and awsome screen n good software updates
18. haseebzahid (Posts: 1836; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
no OIS no good camera daylight everything works like charm even 4U-Pixle HTC One
and stop fooling ur self no phone after 2013 have good battry life one day bat is BS u can say othervise all u want
27. mokhtar (Posts: 265; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
be sure and very sure , z2 camera will blow s5 camera , battery 3000 MAH ( z2) vs 2800 mah (s5) , screen is gorgeous on z2 and the best in the market now
33. pwnarena (Posts: 959; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
actually it's 3200 mah for the z2. it will surely be very expensive though
36. rickysam (Posts: 44; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
3200mah have u seen the videoplayback capacity its just6-8hrs n for s5 its 10-12
26. mokhtar (Posts: 265; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
z2 is waterproof , s5 is water resistant :)
3. Kishin (Posts: 631; Member since: 30 May 2013)
These devices are just getting 2 big it's out of hand...
Nice work Samsung I like the S5
5. mayur007 (Posts: 459; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
i got tired while watching nothing new
7. cornerofthemoon (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Apr 2010)
A 5 inch QHD screen would have been nice but I doubt anyone except the last son of Krypton would be able to see any real difference in quality between that and a HD screen
10. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1270; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
1080p is excellent even for my 5.7" Note 3. I'd rather see brightness levels increase so that I can see the screen while on my motorcycle. 1080p should be very usable to at least 6 to 6.5".
20. blingblingthing (Posts: 458; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
Great point. All this quad hd would do is some very minor marginal gain to viewing and be quite taxing on the GPU.
9. mayur007 (Posts: 459; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
but still it will be priced too high ..
12. Heangchanrotha (Posts: 3; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
Finally, The Galaxy S5 has been released at MWC 2014 in Barcelona as Samsung planned. What I notice is "Disappointment about design" come from every where. Hmmm... To me actually, it's a bit ugly at the back and nothing so different from GS4 in the front, BUT it just a picture. You cannot judge it until you hold it in your palm. Remember when GS3 was announced? Everybody said Samsung was crazy to design a round phone while other manufacturers prefer rectangular one. However GS3 was still the King of android phone and almost killed HTC, LG and Sony. And when GS4 was released, everybody also complained about it's same same design to GS3, nothing different. but it was the most popular Android before the Note 3 was released. And what I notice more is, once you get used to Samsung flagship, you hardly find the other manufacturer that could leave you impression like Samsung does. Now the GS5, it does disappoint me with its design, especially the back (based on the picture). But I won't judge it until I have chance to hold it in my palm. And I do trust on Samsung strongly.
13. babalove (Posts: 20; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
samsung is becoming apple no major updates high price and more sales. hate this two
14. Carlitos (Posts: 340; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
I don't think it was a big disappointed. Was it groundbreaking no. But it's a pretty solid upgrade.
I think the S series has been spoiled due to the Note series. I'm beginning to see that when a new Note comes around everything else looks like dips**t.
The design is meh not horrible, but nothing new either. Idc about plastic or some other metal that scratches and dents easily...do appreciate the glossy back is gone. I like the blue color.
Plus the iso cell camera is a really big bump from even the Note 3. And not just in megapixel count.
17. davenycept (Posts: 175; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
Thank you..it's because everything the note does seem bigger and it makes the s-line look subpar..the note4 will have everything ppl thought would be in the S5
19. Andrewtst (Posts: 358; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
R.I.P Samsung Galaxy S5, worst spec than my current Note 3 with the most awful design in touch flagship phone!
40. UglyFrank (Posts: 546; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
Besides the 2GB Ram, this is the most powerful phone ever announced
22. bootroot (Posts: 35; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
TOO MUCH BEZEL!
Come on we need smaller smartphone and 5inch is cool
We dont need lost place on face.
Note 3 or G2 are the way to go
23. Saamic (Posts: 119; Member since: 20 Feb 2012)
I think I'm just going to wait for the G3...
24. TerryCrowley (Posts: 184; Member since: 31 Jul 2011)
Where's that retard that was telling me that the HTC M8 was gonna be bigger than the Galaxy S5? What do you have to say now?
34. Taters (Posts: 3518; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Did you see the GS5 vs. HTC One video? Chances are the M8 will be bigger actually which is typical HTC dropping the ball. Sure Smasung dropped the ball on size here but never underestimated how crappy HTC is. Judging from the size og the HTC One, the 5 inch screen, and that huge bezel with the HTC logo, it actually might be worse than the Z2. I certainly wouldn't put it past HTC.
When Samsung drops the ball, they drop it harder.
38. TerryCrowley (Posts: 184; Member since: 31 Jul 2011)
I'm going to write this down, and hold onto this for when the HTC M8 is announced. Then I'm going to come back here and call you an even bigger retard than Samsung for releasing the GS5.
42. TerryCrowley (Posts: 184; Member since: 31 Jul 2011)
The HTC M8 just got leaked in this videohttp://www.phonearena.com/news
Turns out, you're a f**king idiot. It's the same size as the original one.
25. steedsofwar (Posts: 288; Member since: 07 Oct 2013)
err... I don't see the iphone 5s. Maybe it is too small to see.
28. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3586; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Arghh, this is a total mess. I think xperia Z2 will replace my aging galaxy sII.
30. darkkjedii (Posts: 12375; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
If they'd remove the Samsung logo from under the earpiece, there's .2 inches more of screen real estate.
37. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Thanks to 0.1" larger screen than S5 and Stereo speakers.
Just like i said before tater your beloved company can't make bezelles waterproof phone but you just sooo closed minded and think that samsung will do some miracles.
S5 will larger and thicker than Z2 if you put 5.2" display, stereo speaker and 3200 mAh battery.
Let me tell you why
1. 5.2" is about 2.5 mm larger than 5.1"
2. Stereo speakers need more space than single speaker thats is HTC phone soo tall.
3. 3200 mAh battery will be physically larger than 2800 mAh.
41. UglyFrank (Posts: 546; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
400mAh wasted in that phone since we already know the S5 will outpace it.