Samsung Galaxy S4 catches fire under the pillow of a 13 year-old girl
The cause of the fire? The Tolfree family blames a replacement battery for the incident. There was no word on whether the replacement cell was an authorized replacement. Last year, there was a series of incidents that took place where Apple iPhone and Apple iPad users received shocks (at least one was fatal), supposedly from the use of unauthorized third party battery chargers.
Regardless of who is at fault here, Samsung did agree to ship Ariel a brand new phone (a Samsung Galaxy S5 perhaps?) and replace the singed bedding, pillow and other damaged materials. Samsung does warn owners of its handsets not to keep it under bedding (like a pillow) as that can restrict air flow and possibly cause a fire.
Thanks for the tip, Sid!
source: FOX4News via UPI
1. nohatenofanboy (banned) (Posts: 515; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
wow thats bad. Its good that girl is ok I think we should use original parts especially battery and battery charger
3. iCloud (Posts: 38; Member since: 15 May 2014)
I agree. Rather spend a few bucks more and be safe.
4. joey_sfb (Posts: 3071; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I have bad experience with third parties battery to last me a life time.
8. Settings (Posts: 578; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
I guess Samsung phones were coming to flames sooner than expected. It was too HOT for the consumers?
Get it? Flames and Hot? Get?
69. amats69 (Posts: 1122; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
this phone is on fire! this phone is on fire!-A. Keys LOL
84. Commentator (Posts: 2466; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
It's also marked as a "HOT" article by Phone Arena.
You sly devils!
87. Settings (Posts: 578; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
Trolls here already posting here. Flaming the article.
58. KParks23 (Posts: 458; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
Why would u put ur phone under a pillow? good way too get a nice big dose of radiation for the night, i bet she wakes up feeling really refreshed!
118. johnbftl (Posts: 220; Member since: 09 Jun 2012)
This article is misleading and inaccurate. In an interview with the girl, she said she left it on her bed when she fell asleep and it slid under her pillow. She didn't leave it under there intentionally.
88. akki20892 (Posts: 3601; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Looks like phone didn't get the enough oxygen to live.......RIP S4
101. lolatfailphones (Posts: 153; Member since: 08 Apr 2013)
But let's kill apple when we can't put our Chinese knock off chargers in our iPhones and not get shocked
106. slaggyb (Posts: 191; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Samsung just trying to defend itself and brand. The battery on that phone is a OEM battery from Samsung. This phone came out last year and it's to early for battery replacement. No matter what a 13yr old can't ruin a battery under one year as she's not a power user. All she does is instagram, facebook and text. So Samsung manup and take the blame.
109. Settings (Posts: 578; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
This is the con of removable batteries. There is a
chance that you can install a counterfeit battery,
compared to it's unremovable battery
counterparts. In the end the likes of Sony won't
get this kind of problems.
113. iHarlequin (Posts: 2; Member since: 26 Jul 2014)
You realize that the family themselves said that they had a replacement battery?
Now you feeling real dumb, don't cha son?
122. TechieXP1969 (Posts: 467; Member since: 25 Sep 2013)
They bought a replacement battery. Basically they admitted it wasn't a Samsung branded one, but not saying it was one. Every phone I can think of that has every caught on fire was using a non-original part. GET OVER IT!!!
7. fzacek (Posts: 2056; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Lol why would you keep your phone under a pillow?...
15. boosook (Posts: 1069; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Many teenagers do it… the smartphone has replaced the teddy bear. It makes them feel they're not alone.
60. skymitch89 (Posts: 1094; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
A lot of people, not just teenagers, have "converted" to using their phone as an alarm clock instead of the traditional bedside alarm clock. I know because I'm one of those people.
75. WahyuWisnu (Posts: 1001; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Me too. I also using my phone as alarm clock.
But I don't put it under the pillow. If I put my phone under the pillow, I won't hear the alarm because the sound will be muted by the pillow.
89. iCloud (Posts: 38; Member since: 15 May 2014)
Same here but i never put my alarm clocks under my pillow lol
90. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1251; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
How dumb are you? Everyone knows that you put your phone under the pillow so the Phone Fairy can come in while you are sleeping and give you a new one. How else do you think people get upgrades? Duh!
91. stealthd (Posts: 973; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
If the phone doesn't catch fire it's not really a problem. Under the pillow or close to it is a good place to keep the phone for sleep tracking apps.
9. Duketytz (Posts: 512; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
Some people need some common sense inside their heads. Charging any electronics without well-ventilation is just plain dumb. I ain't even sorry for her.
44. itsandroid (Posts: 4; Member since: 19 Oct 2013)
i use spigen slim armor case with my s4 its doesnt have any ventilation will my phone explode too what about all those people that use cases
10. iushnt (Posts: 724; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
i will never buy an unauthorized battery and charger..too risky..
38. sip1995 (Posts: 899; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
Tho can happen even with the original ones....
11. Muayyad (Posts: 137; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
Never put a phone while charging under a pillow or something that prevents ventilation. Phones get hotter while charging but nevertheless, Samsung should put something more aggressive to stop charging in hot conditions.
18. vincelongman (Posts: 1545; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
If Samsung wanted to stop this they would have to make the battery non-removable so no one can use cheap third party battery, but that's highly unlikely since the removable battery is a big selling point
Even then people can still use cheap third party chargers, so unfortunately there's nothing Samsung (or the other OEMs) can do to completely stop this
20. WahyuWisnu (Posts: 1001; Member since: 29 May 2014)
It's government job to BAN such sell. Just make it a law to require ALL CHARGER AND BATTERY must have charging limiter to avoid over charge.
30. vincelongman (Posts: 1545; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Its not because of over charge
Modern battery cant over charge
The problem is that many third party battery/chargers are poor quality, hence why they are cheaper and can lead to problems such as catching fire or exploding
So if the government were to ban something, then they should ban third party batteries/chargers
However that's not good for consumers as they are plenty of high quality third party batteries and chargers as well and would limit competition
Consumers should just avoid the cheap third party batteries/chagers
31. WahyuWisnu (Posts: 1001; Member since: 29 May 2014)
That's why I said in post #14 that it must be tested and met certain standard.
57. skymitch89 (Posts: 1094; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
The government has bigger and better things to deal with than the regulation of third party cell phone batteries & chargers.
65. WahyuWisnu (Posts: 1001; Member since: 29 May 2014)
The government regulate on anything:
* The replacement tire of your car
* The ingredient of your salad (no yolk in USA) because of some germ
* and many more...
119. kevliu1980 (Posts: 2; Member since: 27 Jul 2014)
That's so idiotic and just supports the dumbification of consumers. Just b/c some morons choose to buy replacment batteries for $5, this feature shouldn't be available for anyone else? Including regular travellers like me who like being able to carry a spare battery and immeidately swap after a long flight.
How about personal responsibility? It's the same attitude that'll one day have your personal computer completely sealed "to protect you".
108. slaggyb (Posts: 191; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Were did you read that she was charging the phone? It was just under her and pillow and wasn't plugged. Stop defending your beloved brand as you sound ridiculous.
114. iHarlequin (Posts: 2; Member since: 26 Jul 2014)
Why you mad tho? And is it so wrong to defend a brand that one likes?
Dayum bruh, guess who hates life?
12. DogeShibe (Posts: 869; Member since: 10 Jan 2014)
Samsung : Built in exploding and lagwiz features.
(PS : Note that i never said android lags.I said Touchwiz lags.I actually like android L.But Windows Phone for me at the end of the day)
24. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3570; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Here comes a wp fan who cant even troll decently :(
28. DogeShibe (Posts: 869; Member since: 10 Jan 2014)
You didn't read the post script,did ya CM Puke?
40. sip1995 (Posts: 899; Member since: 07 Feb 2014)
It's a Samesung fan boy...why do you expect.....he will realize he was wrong when his phone will blow in his pocket......poor guy :)
51. T.Law (Posts: 340; Member since: 10 May 2014)
I'd rather buy the S5 or even the Note 3 full price instead of using the latest WP flagship for free.
76. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Then most people are pathetic or have not concept of money.
81. WahyuWisnu (Posts: 1001; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Some user only want a dumb phone, that's why it was sold when MS/Nokia (or BB) do a clearance discount.
13. ikenvape (Posts: 65; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Good thing she's okay! But still no one should put a cellphone near their head for a prolonged time anyway! They do emit radiation after all