Report: Foxconn assembles 100 Apple iPhone prototypes using sapphire glass screens
The two companies that Apple is relying on for sapphire material, Synopsys and Bern Optics, have recently expanded their production facilities. Both provide the material for the rear camera and the TouchID fingerprint sensor on the Apple iPhone 5s. Apple is believed to consume 10% of the world's manufactured sapphire and the expansions seem to indicate further use of the material by the Cupertino based tech titan.
Apple CEO Tim Cook, during an interview broadcast on ABC today, confirmed that the company's new facility in Arizona will be used to produce sapphire glass that could be used for future iPhone models, or for the expected Apple iWatch.
source: AppleDaily (translated) via AppleInsider
1. Phullofphil (Posts: 800; Member since: 10 Feb 2009)
That is probably the coolest thing I've heard in a while I would be pretty excited for something like that. I would like to do more research on how that would affect your screen thickness and the ability to never have to use screen protectors but that could be just a pipe dream
10. Finalflash (Posts: 1594; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Well seeing as how this is Apple rumors/news, don't expect it until it becomes either free to make or very cheap. Otherwise like hell they'll lower their margins to actually give additional value to their customers for free.
49. nctx77 (Posts: 459; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
Actually what you described sounds more like Samsung. This is one thing Apple would not have to worry about them copying lol! They are scared to make an aluminum phone lol!
53. willard12 (Posts: 737; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
I guess you didn't read all the comments. If you did, you'd know Samsung already uses sapphire glass, lol!
46. willard12 (Posts: 737; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
"If you’re worried about scratches diminishing the look of the Galaxy Gear, you can sleep easy knowing that it’s protected by the layer of sapphire glass over it – giving it a very slick feel to the touch." - Phone Arena
2. Phullofphil (Posts: 800; Member since: 10 Feb 2009)
After all hardness doesn't always equal durability also
3. joseram695 (Posts: 45; Member since: 28 May 2012)
Thats awsome that there is going to be that type of glass on the screen, now how about some other phones as well?, S5 Note 4, HTC M8? Just hoping.
7. Finalflash (Posts: 1594; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Lol that's a long wait to be prepared for, I guess 2025 can't come soon enough.
29. reckless562 (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
lol! try 2030!! but seriously jus kuz its got the glass All phones should have in the First place, Doesnt make the ipiece-off-crap-phone Any Better. "ooohhh!!! i dont need a screen protecter!!" but can u upload a custom Rom???? HAAAAA!!!
8. good2great (Posts: 1039; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
hey dark you got facebook bro? i'd like to link up with you outside of phonearena.
11. darkkjedii (Posts: 10568; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Yeah I do, but how do I get you my info without exposing it to these idiot haters on here.
14. Finalflash (Posts: 1594; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Set up a temp email account and exchange info there.
30. reckless562 (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
u have to go slow so the Apple user can understand why thad idea will work
15. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1579; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Awww that's cute, you guys should tell us about your first date.
37. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1579; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
You're not that interesting bro, get over yourself
6. good2great (Posts: 1039; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
and they say APPL doesn't innovate. pfft...
"what are they doing with $400,000,000,000?"
YOU SEE NOW iHATERS?!!!
13. Finalflash (Posts: 1594; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
How come all the iClowns think this has already happened? It isn't happening for a decade, they only do this so the other manufacturers jump the gun and invent a cost effective way to make it and then Apple patents it and pretends to invent it 10 years later.
19. a_merryman (Posts: 641; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
You're so wise, please tell us more about Apple's future products. You have a line directly with Tim Cook and Mr. Ive I am assuming.
12. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1619; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
there is a difference between hating and telling the truth...
and innovation is doing something that no one has done before...
now go graze somewhere else....
17. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1579; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
First, calm the F down. Second, its just a rumor. It's not innovation unless they are the first to do it and it is readily available to markets, governments and society. Try again fanboy
23. applesucker (Posts: 81; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
well it's not their innovation, sapphire glass is already been used by vertu so what the heck are you talking about iloser
24. applesucker (Posts: 81; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
sapphire glass on a phone is not apple's innovation, sapphire is already been used by VERTU
YOU SEE NOW ILOSER!!!!!!
31. reckless562 (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
how is that an inovation??? sapphire glass, IT ALREADY EXIST!!! THEY DONT EVEN MAKE IT THEMSELVES!!! sooooo. its an "Application" of technology. one that they hope their customers will accept.... u never know with an iphone user
44. willard12 (Posts: 737; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Galaxy Gear has sapphire glass. So no, they don't innovate. Been there, done that.
18. Kishin (Posts: 587; Member since: 30 May 2013)
Larger iPhone++Sapphire-Glass, the iPhone is about to control the market and some android manufactures are going to disappear.
20. darkkjedii (Posts: 10568; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
This next iPhone is mos def gonna be white hot, instead of red hot. I'll be getting a 128 gig gold, if they make that capacity, and two 32 gig golds.
35. reckless562 (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
piping hot golden Craps, sraight from Satans ass Alley
38. darkkjedii (Posts: 10568; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Dude go away, I'm not gonna bother with you. End of discussion, no respect for people that come here, just to be a bother...get a life.
42. reckless562 (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
dont get mad when its true, all they will ever be is piping hot golden Craps.... sraight from Satans ass Alley
25. almostdone (Posts: 110; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
Some people like/dislike iOS, while others like/dislike Android. The majority of people don't jump ship just because of a larger display and sapphire glass.
I don't care if it was made from Kryptonite. I just don't like using iOS and iTunes.
33. reckless562 (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
not even relavant to market control. jus more phones will have sapphire n some wont
21. papss (unregistered)
I wonder how many children they have working at foxcon these days. China.. what a grand place.
I'm pretty interested in what this means for other mfg, wonder if they will follow suit
26. applesucker (Posts: 81; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
There's no such thing as apple innovation cause they just copied others!
touchID claimed by apple but copied from motorola atrix
IOS inspired by microsoft with added twist
first touchscreen smartphone copied from sony ericsson
premium design! VERTU wannabe
36. reckless562 (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
yup, which would be ok, if it wernt JUST a damn toy
27. applesucker (Posts: 81; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
if iphone is running android then definitely i'm gonna turn my back against samsung
32. Kishin (Posts: 587; Member since: 30 May 2013)
Why would apple ever run android, just in case u don't know android was created for competition against iOS and still today we are at the top.
39. reckless562 (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
i believe it was created for openness for users to design for themselves n program apps. i remember when i had my samsung Omnia, which ran windows mobile 6.whatever lol, i dont remember. it was sooooo customizable that everyone said it was better than an iphone when i pulled it out.
only bad part was screen durability as it was a pressure sensative screeen, not capactive. it eventually jus started registering presses where i didnt press. verry fustrating when using google maps. o yea n a lack of apps other than a dope ass Mobile suite of ms Office apps. Powerpoint Mobile anyone??
well windows was what was the most functional back then, as android was barely in it infancy wit the G1 n what not. it was jus like a symbian os back then. crappy graphics n what not. if Apple decided to make an Android iphone, I mite buy one. all it needs after that is a perferably removable but deffinitely more serviceable battery, and SDcard slot ill probably get one
54. number29 (Posts: 185; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Android was bought by Google so that they could extend their advertising reach and profits. Don't be under any illusion that it's for anything more.
40. darkkjedii (Posts: 10568; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Dude why bother with these immature trolls? Don't stoop to that level Kishin, not worth it. How will you go about getting the next iPhone? Myself and my wife we camp out overnight at our local AT&T, we're usually the first or second in line.
43. reckless562 (Posts: 675; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
low key.... that camping out, n dragging ur poor wife out there too, seems WWAYY more troll-y than just posting fact based opinons. F waiting in line for a full priced phone, and AT&T of all places?!?! why not be part of Big Red?? theyre service is Waaaay better for the same money. if ima be ripped off, its gona be atleast good service. ive done auto sales b4 so i get "if ur not sellin, ur being sold," so we need "Customers" "like you," but those ppl are whats wrong with america........ sorry.
51. Kishin (Posts: 587; Member since: 30 May 2013)
Dude Stop hating on Apple and admit defeat, but no its not a battle its just an iPhone article on phonearena get whatever devise that suits U.
Just stop Hating cause ur just mad, u would not waste all this time responding to our comments. Their are plenty android articles to comment on if there is some article u don't like SKIP IT.
50. willard12 (Posts: 737; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
"We are on top." Congratulations to you. The company with 83% world-wide market share on top.
52. Kishin (Posts: 587; Member since: 30 May 2013)
I never wanted to say this but its unfair. Android has more than 10 manufactures, but i live in the US so apple is at the top.
55. darkkjedii (Posts: 10568; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That's rite. USA baby!!! Las Vegas all day!!!
56. tedkord (Posts: 4511; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Even in the US Android has a higher market share than iOS.
58. willard12 (Posts: 737; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
10 manufacturers is a good point except Samsung outsells Apple by itself world-wide. I'm an officer in the US Army so I can wave the flag too.
60. applesucker (Posts: 81; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
did it benefit the americans? no! cause apple can't afford to pay their taxes and obama is just protecting them
57. phonemonkey (Posts: 162; Member since: 13 Feb 2012)
going to do the same thing gorilla does
be a selling point that disappoints