Nokia loses number one spot in Finland to Samsung
During the first quarter of 2013, Nokia moved 196,000 devices to Samsung’s 211,000 units sold according to research from IDC. Nokia’s market share in its home country fell to 33.6%, down from over 48% a year ago.
Samsung has proven to be the manufacturer to beat in the global market and Nokia is not the first OEM to feel the pressure. Apple not only competes with Samsung, but is also Samsung’s customer and we all know that the two are embroiled in a never ending legal contest. In fact, all the other manufacturers have suffered at Samsung’s success, Motorola, BlackBerry and HTC as well.
In fact, Nokia should be credited that it has been so effective at fending off Samsung. While Nokia is a few shipments shy of Samsung in Finland, in India, the two are fighting it out where Nokia has been outselling Samsung in the feature phone segment and is making headway with affordable smartphones like the Lumia 520. Samsung leads Nokia in smartphone shipments by a wide margin, however that is very small segment of the Indian market.
In volatile, developing markets like India, that is a good showing and a keystone to Nokia’s continued success. Still, Nokia needs developed markets like North America and Europe to buy up its high-end devices, devices that drive advanced features and attract higher margins.
source: The Wall Street Journal
57. SleepingOz (unregistered)
I wonder where are papss, polrt, TheBitterTruth, jackhammeR and co now?
Probably busy swallowing the bitter truth! hahaha
64. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Lmao. True there not here, cause of shame and disgrace, humiliated. There hiding, o come on don't be shy show you're selfs up...
71. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
and what's the bitter truth? That's how it works, pal. Nokia was on top once, now it's turn for samsung.
Who knows what future holds. Maybe Nokia will come back as the number 1 when microsoft lifts up hardware restrictions. maybe another gamer will turp up (from far asia for example)
I have better things to do than waiting till some kid hiding behind a "sleepingoz" nickname spit out some meaningless comments.
80. TheBitterrTruth (unregistered)
Here I am.
And you know what is TheBitterTruth?
Nokia Dominates the phone industry for a decade with its own designed OS "Symbian" and not with others (like Android).
Well its the 3rd year that Samsung is ahead of Nokia. Congo.. but do not forgot that Nokia dominates the phone industry for more than 15 years. 15 years >>>>>>> 3 years
59. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Samsung products should be banned from using all versions of Microsoft OS, including WP, Win XP, Win Vista, Win 7/8, Win Server, etc.
Nokia, Asus, Lenovo, HP, DELL, ACER, and others can take their place...
81. TheBitterrTruth (unregistered)
Is there any WP of Samsung out there?
Really? I mean really?
2. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Oh my god, Samsung is strong like a boss!
But don't worry, Nokia still have India right? Keep it up, Nokia! You will outsell Samsung one day.
21. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
And how do you know that? Because you look like Eddie Murphy?
23. vandroid (Posts: 300; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
Nokia will never be samsung and that's a meme of Carlton from the fresh prince of bel air not me
26. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
But you can't just assume Nokia will never be Samsung, you're not an analyst, and how do you know that? You traveled here from 2020 with the Samsung Galaxy Time Machine?
And I know that avatar is not you, but that guy kinda looks like Eddie Murphy. lol
27. vandroid (Posts: 300; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
By 2020 Samsung will have phone with gigabit speeds which they're testing now Nokia fell under before and its likely to happen again
60. a961009 (Posts: 116; Member since: 04 Aug 2011)
You should know that. There is LG and Hwawei and Zte.....
67. taikucing (unregistered)
And by 2020 Nokia will still use the same old dual core Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon & 1 GB RAM. Forever the same specs. Only increasing the camera resolution. Stupid Nokia with its chessboard OS.
39. Whateverman (Posts: 3233; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Please stop! Alfonso Ribeiro looks absolutely nothing like Eddie Murphy.
49. eisenbricher (Posts: 972; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
xperiaDROID is the coolest person on PA!
50. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Thanks bro! eisenbricher is the BEST!
58. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I knew it was you, thanks for the downthumb wierdo. I was being sarcastic just now. :P
82. TheBitterrTruth (unregistered)
73. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
..and parents probably have just bought you a samsung ace to cheer you up
3. donjunior (Posts: 50; Member since: 28 May 2013)
Samsung Go Go Go! Samsung is the New King. The new innovative company.
35. Kurai (unregistered)
"innovative" . . . yes, the new king but it will not be forever ;)
83. TheBitterrTruth (unregistered)
Go go go away!
Go in the galaxy from out of this earth and produce your plastics there!
4. clevername (Posts: 1431; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
Don't think that'll last long. Not with Nokia picking up steam with their windows phones. Business. I only refer to Finland. And I could be wrong. Kudos to Sammy for competing strongly.
5. alterecho (Posts: 1091; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
If only Microsoft wasn't so pigheaded and lazy. Samsung should thank its stars that Nokia didn't enter the Android market. Yet.
Samsung should also be thankful that all other companies trusted it fully to manufacture their components.
55. Topcat488 (Posts: 1173; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
EXACTLY, "Alterecho"... Samsung is making smartphones for what 4-5 OS's... Android, Windows, Bada, Tizen,... If Nokia made phones for Android, it WOULD be a different story! The People of "Nokia-Land" have spoken... They've chosen Android, and lost "Home Advantage".
6. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3024; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Nokia can now step up the game if they really intend to make it BIG. Letting someone take over the spot even on their turf is not good, it's like giving away the girlfriend. Not a news to celebrate....but Samsung did good!!
7. chistoefurpuffer (Posts: 140; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
Good job Samsung. Gotta love that sweet competition.
8. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Nasty, Samsung are growing very powerful and strong. For Nokia to loose Finland, that means something.
13. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
It's not a trouble for Nokia, it's more of a win for Samsung.
84. TheBitterrTruth (unregistered)
Its a part of life.
10. harigrg33 (Posts: 165; Member since: 20 May 2013)
Samsung when r u goin to fix the heating problem of s4 exynos octa i9500..?
11. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1291; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
I want the Snapdragon 800 in my USA Note 3. Sammy can keep the exynos octa for outside US.
85. TheBitterrTruth (unregistered)
Lol at the dislikes.
12. J1919 (Posts: 32; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
Welp. I'm not one to usually say this but I do wonder what would've happend had the Lumia 800 been a Gingerbread and the 900 an Ice cream sandwhich.
14. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
It would of been an interesting result if Nokia went Android for sometime or even for a few phones, I do wonder how much they would of sold and how many supporters they would of gathered. Even though I'm against Nokia going Android.
15. Daftama (Posts: 575; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Eventually they have no choice if they want to survive. ..windows isn't cutting
28. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Windows Phone is doubling in market share percentage in almost every quarter. So please, no.
20. MartyK (Posts: 726; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
Nokian and Elop will never admit nor surrender their WP os, they will go down with the ship.....what a pity...lol
ANDROID marches on ;)
30. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
You probably jumped on the Android band wagon at its height, doesn't anyone understand that Android was ONCE a small, unknown platform like WP was? Windows Phone is growing fast.
34. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Really... please your making me Lmfao..
Look what happened to W1234567& now 8, it's been 8 years and they still can't progress. It's kept alive, floating because of sponsors and funds!
74. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
erm...there weren't any 1,2,3,4 windows platforms...
and windows mobile was utterly something different
android was as ugly and retarded as hell when it was unveiled. Donut 1.6. Don't you remember?
How much time has it taken to be at this point?
You laugh at windows, however, android was in the same place 5 years ago. Keep laughing troll.
37. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
While I do agree Android started from the bottom....that first green thumb is from me...lol...it took 2 years for Android to take off and gain lots of market share and popularity. The G1 launched in Oct 2008...by Oct 2010 Android was at 23% and fighting Apple for 2nd place...WP is going on what 2 and 1/2 years? Still near the bottom.
The problem is while WP and BB is struggling to gain market share....Android and iOS, the iPhone is getting better each year. As long as either one doesnt rest on their laurels...its gonna continue to be a struggle for WP and BB. Even the iPhone has lost some of its luster, mystic over the past few years.
WP wasnt necessarily an unknown platform...it is still linked to Microsoft. That might be a bad thing....cuz Win Mo is still linked to MS too. Android and iOS were really unknowns when they both launched. To this day its still amazing what they both accomplished.
Before someone chimes in about WP8......it started at 7....in Nov 2010. Lets start from the initial release...and not this "but WP8 just came out...."
16. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
NOKIA FANBOYS JEALOUS
WHAT GREAT GOOD NEWS
75. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I woudl like to remind you that android got its reputation along with motorola droid. It took almost 2..and if we think about developing, probaly 3 or 4 years to get some attention.
17. 8logic (Posts: 131; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
should had went with android, its the only holding me back from getting the new nokia (yes. i had own couple of nokia before android came out).
33. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Look at Samsung.....its like a steamroller flattening everything in its path....
36. Kurai (unregistered)
yes, but the steamroller is made of plastic
38. jroc74 (Posts: 5192; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
And that matters....how.... If anything Samsung saved a ton of dough using plastic. I said it before...I had a G Nex...and it didnt feel cheap. It didnt feel like my Rezound or RAZR, Maxx HD...but it didnt feel cheap.
The back the of RAZR is a material softer than plastic. Its feels solid because the battery is right behind that soft material. Dont know about the Maxx HD but it also has that soft material. Kevlar.
Being made of plastic....I dont know why this is such a big deal. And I dont even like Samsung phones...
41. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
it's not mainly because it feels cheap, but because of its durability...