Munster: expect 5 million to 10 million Apple iWatches to be sold in year one
Gene The analyst has snatched up his trusty abacus and has computed that Apple will sell 5 million to 10 million units of the Apple iWatch during the product's initial year on the market. For those more impressed with dollars and cents, we're talking about $2.6 billion revenue and $790 million in profit.
Munster just conducted a survey of 799 people (couldn't he find just one more?) and asked if they would pay $350 for an iWatch that paired with an Apple iPhone. Of those with an iPhone, 12% said "ring me up" while the remaining 88% politely declined. With that in mind, Munster conservatively figured that 2% to 4% of the installed base of iPhone users would buy the iWatch during its first year on the market
Piper Jaffrey's estimate of 239 million iPhone owners led to the estimate by Munster, and at $350 a pop, he computed the sales and revenue. One thing to consider. If Munster's forecast is accurate and the iWatch brings in $2.6 billion in revenue and earns $790 million, that would represent just 1% of Apple's annual sales and profits.
11. appleDOESNT.com (banned) (Posts: 456; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
iDo, iFollowers make up about 40 million individuals of the 700mllion iOS devices (just reported recently) out there. iWrecken the average iFollower has about 4 total iPads, 5 iPhones, 5 iPods, 2 appletvs and 1 iWatch coming up. Apple's whole market share is the same iFollowers that buy iDevice after iDevice, year after year lol.
So ya, they will easily sell 5 million iWatches to their kind, no FLiPPiN doubt!i!
16. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6736; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
number to high. think those analyst are over exaggerated with numbers. plus the thing haven't even been out. only smart watches been out is SONY SMART WATCH 1 now 2. now SAMSUNG. Lg needs to remake their first SMART WATCH phone few years ago and redesign it.
17. Finalflash (Posts: 1903; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Yea, I think this guy is desperate to get Apple's stock back to where he bought it. These fackin smartwatches seem so uninspired and reactionary. It seems to be just a money making tactic, not something that someone actually thought would be great. And it only started when rumors of Apple making a smart watch started. Can't wait until this garbage flops and some real innovation happens somewhere.
3. parvsingh05 (Posts: 98; Member since: 11 Jan 2012)
Wait for another one year.. But just do it right.
4. Stayfly2407 (Posts: 49; Member since: 15 Dec 2011)
If they can integrate facetime in the watch, that would be nice. But I'll stick with my G.gear and note3 combo.
7. DaNTRoN (Posts: 135; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
I wish my job involved analytics and guesstimations, where the margin of error was millions or tens of millions. What an easy gig.
9. bucky (Posts: 1574; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Meh, not really seeing the point in these watches yet. A lovely baume and mercier watch is still going to sit on my wrist :D
15. PotDragon (banned) (Posts: 214; Member since: 22 Jul 2011)
Nice! Which model Baume & Mercier? I really dig the company polices they exhibit; as an animal lover I really appreciate the financial support they give toward ending animal abuse.
Just snagged a 1977 Rolex Oysterquartz with plum face off the vintage matket .
There's the point...what watch geek is gonna drop $350 on this ugly crap? That is assuming it works of course, and that it creates some type of new "must have" app. Anyone want to try and read texts off their wrist in bright sunlight off a postage stamp?
10. lauremar (Posts: 181; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
How can you expect something to sell that does not exist?!!! Gimme a break!
14. GrapeEyes (Posts: 248; Member since: 01 Sep 2013)
Apple can't even get iOS7 right, let alone build a new iwatch that will only cost them $24 to build from scratch.
18. boosook (Posts: 1090; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Expect 5 to 10 million iWatches to be ignored as soon as Google Glass will be released! ;)