How to multitask on Android: use multiwindow mode on Samsung Galaxy devices like the Note 3 and S4
What is multiwindow mode? Simple - it’s a way to multitask on Android, stacking windows alongside just like you’d do on a desktop operating system like… Windows. It’s a feature that you can only find on Samsung’s TouchWiz Galaxy devices, and not even on all, but only on the fastest ones. Interestingly, such multitasking with two simultaneously opened windows is not possible even on stock Android!
Enabling the multi-window feature is extremely simple. Just swipe down from the top to bring the notification shade on your device. In the long horizontal list of toggles, scroll down to the last one and tap on it to enable it.
It’s easy to tell if you’ve turned the multitasking feature on - when it’s on, a little white arrow appears on the left side of the device (if it's off the arrow is not there). To start using multiple windows at the same time you just tap on it and then tap on or drag apps onto the screen. You can then adjust the size of each window freely - you can have, say, a YouTube video playing in a small window, and a larger one with your browser open for reading for example. You can even save your favorite pairs of apps for quick access, which we find handy.
Have you tried this feature on your Samsung Galaxy device? Do you like it? Let us know in the comments below.
How to use multiwindow mode on Samsung Galaxy devices like the Note 3 and Galaxy S4 Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Leaked screenshots reveal a possible upcoming huge Android redesign
14 Apr 2014, 03:50
Alleged Apple iPhone 6 front panel leaks, corroborates 4.7-inch display size
15 Apr 2014, 05:39
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
12 Feb 2014, 08:58
How to use multiwindow mode on Samsung Galaxy devices like the Note 3 and Galaxy S4
1. tedkord (Posts: 3932; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Just as s side note, some recent Kitkat CM based ROMs for the Galaxy S3 do have multi window.
3. darkkjedii (Posts: 9290; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
It didn't natively get that feature thru 4.2.2?
5. SleepingOz (Posts: 2479; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
We're talking about 4.4 CM based ROMs here.
21. darkkjedii (Posts: 9290; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Don't really care what you're talking about. I was talking to Tedkord
26. SleepingOz (Posts: 2479; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
You didn't get it, did you?
Anyway, go back to your puny iphone, it suits you better. :)
9. Finalflash (Posts: 1136; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
All S3+ devices with jelly bean have the feature and CM and Paranoid have their own version of it.
14. g2a5b0e (Posts: 1930; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
It actually got it with 4.1.2, I believe. The S3 & Note 2 skipped 4.2.
24. Topcat488 (Posts: 1040; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
This is even on my OG-Note N7000... Which makes an old Samsung device more capable of doing more things than a New iphone 5S. It came with 4.1.2 on the international Note 1.
28. nasznjoka (Posts: 222; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
SleepingOz you need to grow up man! Those days are over these days some of core android got themselves iphone and the other way around.
31. darkkjedii (Posts: 9290; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Exactly man. All this pointless bashing crap is sooo tired. I use and love both a note 3, and 5s. +1 man
35. box14380 (Posts: 15; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
No. I disagree with you. My old shattered screen Samsung Galaxy S3 has a multitasking mode/capability starting Jellybean 4.0.
But now it's replaced with my new Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-900.
36. g2a5b0e (Posts: 1930; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
There is no Jellybean 4.0. 4.0 is Ice Cream Sandwich. You got it with 4.1, just like I said.
2. darkkjedii (Posts: 9290; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Other than scrapbook, this and pop up video are my fav features on my note 3. Wish so much that Sammy would include auto compression/editing of vids though :(
4. tenho1982 (Posts: 31; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
I use this all the time for my foreign language class. On one Window, I open SNote (which contains the imported content from my PDF textbook) and on the other Window, the ColorDict application which I can look up words.
6. Ninetysix (Posts: 1072; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Android users are smart. We don't know a freaking how-to. Thank you very much.
13. Mxyzptlk (limited) (Posts: 2846; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Looks like grammar how-to is what you need.
16. Ninetysix (Posts: 1072; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Relax broski. Just trying to make fun of fandroids. You can see their comments on iOS related how-tos.
8. joey_sfb (Posts: 1973; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Look like a paid advertisement by Samsung. Hope they pay PA well.
11. surethom (Posts: 184; Member since: 04 Mar 2009)
I hope Android adds multi window to the next version on Android.
12. Mxyzptlk (limited) (Posts: 2846; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Is that supposed to be a UI or a cartoon?
15. poikilo (Posts: 45; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
Can't tell there is too much color in the way.
19. tedkord (Posts: 3932; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
That's an ironic comment from an iOS 7 user.
34. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 548; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Ha ha ha.. U nailed it man....
+1 to you
23. PorkyBurger (Posts: 138; Member since: 18 May 2013)
Yes, I like cartoons. Don't you like them?
25. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 664; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
A great feature indeed, thoroughly enjoyed it in my GS3, and enjoying it in my GS4 :)
It's features like this that make TW hated by the Samsung Haters as their favourite manufacturers don't have it, yet make TW the best OEM Skin around, I've yet to find a custom skin that brings the speed, fluidity, rich feature set and functionality all in one, look now even Sony is taking some TW features and incorporating them in their Android4.4 updated UI in Sirius or whatever they call it. :)
32. __0__ (Posts: 187; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
I enjoy using pen window more on my Note 3 . when using multi window you press the home button and it no longer works. For me I use pen window to call someone , text , YouTube and internet
33. __0__ (Posts: 187; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Pen window floats on top of everything ! Just like Sony's small apps .
Speed and fluidity on touchwiz ? Forget it , touch wiz slows things down and its very ugly. I use both xperia ZL and note 3
29. nasznjoka (Posts: 222; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
The other reason why Sammy tops android. I've been seeing this "nexus" movement on g+ and some pro-google gellas, the thing is even if you get the latest android rom(stock) there're some dudes with more functional features on they phones with last year android version. Take multi window as an example, Plus i think stock android sucks big time so if every oem use vanilla after few days you get used to them and then you start ship jumping.
In short i think every oem need to create their own skin like sammy and htc to keep android alive
37. Avenger827 (Posts: 46; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
Well said, 1
stock android is boring, expecially the camera app.