Here is how Android's green robot logo came to be: inspiration from surprising places
The logo came to life some three years ago when Blok and her design team at Google were told to create a logo for Android, something that would instantly reverberate with customers, easily recognizable. Also, Blok was told the logo had to include a robot. After studying all sorts of sci-fi toys, she drew inspiration inspiration from a surprising source - a restroom. After all, everyone has seen the sign on a restroom and the male/female figures are instantly recognizable. So that’s where the robot comes in, in the form similar to the drawings on restrooms.
What’s really important however is that the logo went open source so everyone could play with it and customize it. So while others fiercely protected their logos, Google was going to go another way:
“We decided it would be a collaborative logo that everybody in the world could customize,” she says. “That was pretty daring.”
We all know what happened next with apps like Androidify and others, the little green Android has transformed in all sorts of funny ways and the logo is now extremely popular.
source: NY Times
1. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5404; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Android is a cute little smart fella. ;)
And Apple is just a fruit, a FRUIT.
I love Android.
3. DefinitiveKid (Posts: 114; Member since: 15 May 2013)
Damn, always going back to that stupid Apple/Android war...
5. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5404; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
So, Apple is not a fruit? Smh. -__-
8. alterecho (Posts: 1082; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
6. MobileKicker (Posts: 212; Member since: 19 Sep 2013)
I dont care about who created the logo
But the thing is it is not as stylish as the logos of apple & blackberry
9. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5478; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"But the thing is it is not as stylish as the logos of apple & blackberry"
Sounds like a trend victim.
15. skyline88 (Posts: 316; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
another butthurt apple fanboy lost in the middle of nowhere
10. MobileKicker (Posts: 212; Member since: 19 Sep 2013)
lol it would would be great
Androids logo was a restrooms logo
I could get a chance to make more fun of it
A happy apple and bb user
19. akki20892 (Posts: 3438; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
but don't forget that apple gives you vitamins for our body.
2. mr.techdude (Posts: 543; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Android can be all sorts of things but apple ummmmmmm just waiting to be eaten.
7. MobileKicker (Posts: 212; Member since: 19 Sep 2013)
The joke is lame
U ate an apple not an iPhone
17. saffant (Posts: 219; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
Well so is yours when you say that Android's logo was a restroom logo.
Apple's bitten apple logo inspiration could've come from gee iunno perhaps even Snowwhite and that "rotten apple".
12. DefinitiveKid (Posts: 114; Member since: 15 May 2013)
I thought it was based on some robot character from an old videogame...
16. Ibraheem277 (Posts: 3; Member since: 14 Oct 2013)
that's not true watch this video from MKBHD w ww.youtube.com/watch?v=1gUQhN5joSQ
18. Evilsj (Posts: 10; Member since: 03 Dec 2012)
Still not convinced that they're not just big fans of Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw's Zero Punctuation. Seriously, his Imps look exactly like the Android, but he's been around longer than this little guy. Do love the Android though, I have a figurine of him sitting on my desk. :D
21. 777light777 (Posts: 53; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)
Surprised no one thought of the @pple logo as the apple Adam and Eve ate.
Bite into it and your fked.
Apple=sin. (and the root of all evil) Truth.
22. ZeroCide (Posts: 688; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
For some reason ththought the logo was canadian in origin?
24. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
I love Andy. I have several of the Andru the Android Chargers from Power by Gen, and a vinyl sticker on my rear window of my car. Props to this lady!