Google files patent for back panel touch controls
1. avin007 (Posts: 139; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
Aww....now google is also going the apple way
2. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Apple uses patent too stomp competition and sue others.
36. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
As long as Google doesn't abuse this patent, I'm cool with it.
It might have just been a "I'll patent this before Apple does" move, to protect Android from more Apple lawsuits over things Apple didn't invent.
8. rajagopalan.k (Posts: 35; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
while google uses it to just stay without being sued by i-diots
20. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
It sure was a serious comment so you are right it wasn't funny nor clever. Perhaps you never realized (oh do BOTS ever realize anything?) that you made a wise statement going against your "1 Infinite Loop"
12. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 12539; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Too bad the Sony already has something like this with the ps vita,
17. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3662; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Err...yes, we read the article on which you're posting your comment.
But let's face it, PS vita aint a phone nor a tablet, it's a GAMING CONSOLE (in case you don't know /s).
This is a nice idea, however, i don't see a practical use of this if the device is touch enabled. Don't you people think so?
18. Whateverman (Posts: 3253; Member since: 17 May 2009)
That never stopped Apple from patenting things they didn't come up with. Besides, Motorola did it way back in like 2009.
24. jroc74 (Posts: 6004; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Yea they do, so I agree. The world must be ending tonight.....
Anyway... if Apple's patent history showed us anything....Google will be granted it. Then it will be made invalid in a few years.
3. nikenturd (unregistered)
Well at least the way I see it, a very useful patent...quality over quantity
4. Daftama (Posts: 619; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Someone seriously needs to sue Apple..they need a wake up call..
5. TheLolGuy (Posts: 483; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
I have the Vita, and while the back touch controls capability hasn't been leveraged to it's full potential there are more opportunities for use in mobile devices.
Still, that can complicate things with cover manufacturers and people who feel like they want/need a case for their phone. If the back-touch controls become optional, then many won't adopt it and it'll become forgotten and underutilized.
Also, I imagine swiping and making gestures on the back of the phone could make your grip unwieldy. Unless they do combo gestures with the front and back so you don't get too loosey with your grip.
7. phljcnth (Posts: 485; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
That could possible mean non-removable battery. Oh, I love Sammy.
9. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Well ThE Motorola back flip also had this technology.... Or something similar on that matter
10. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Back panel touch controls? But what will happen if I dropped the phone by accident?
11. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Did everyone just forget that the playstation vita already has this?
29. pixel8or (Posts: 59; Member since: 10 Jun 2010)
Worthless, not so much, but biased, absolutely!! "fingers crossed" since it's Google. "We could only hope" if it was Apple...
19. Topcat488 (Posts: 1395; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
How many people will have sore fingers using this sh!t... From mostly all the video I've seen, the person had to squeeze the phone so hard, that you could see the straining in his hand... Just to flip the page or something... I'd hardly use this. Just my opinion.
21. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
So now Google joins the fray/ Looks like they are preparing to be next Patent Trolls when their earnings fall. Come thumb me down kids :)
23. jroc74 (Posts: 6004; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I dont see how this is preparing them to be patent trolls. Its odd tho since the Vita has back controls tho. I think a tablet from a few years ago had it too.
What one does with the patents determines if they are or attempting to be patent trolls.
22. snoopy5 (Posts: 7; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
i will concerned about if i put my phone in the way that back panel facing the table,will activate those functions?lol...
26. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
Doesn't Moto backflip have this exact thing?.....
oh wait! Google Owns Moto
28. pookiewood (Posts: 631; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
First Sony stole my idea and now Google? No way!!!! LOL! Man I thought if this before the Vita came out. I'm just glad to see this come into use. (didn't patent or anything I just thought about it along time ago)
30. predator93 (Posts: 122; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
I think similar technology was already shown in the Yota phone prototype.
35. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
like I said Apple dictates and rest simply follow..
37. Jango_Fred (Posts: 58; Member since: 17 Dec 2008)
How is this a patent-able idea? What, do you think RCA filed for a patent when they said..."Hey, I have a novel idea, everyone is putting their channel knob on the right side of the TV...WE should put ours on the LEFT!!!" Earth shattering research there.
38. DHILLON_ARSH (Posts: 66; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
SEEMS INTRESTING BUT IF UH SEE PRACTICALLY NOT A GOOD IDEA....