Google Nexus 7 denied in China, might mean halving sales outlook for 2012
The Chinese Government has barred the affordable 7 incher from landing in Chinese stores, and it seems this denial for the Asus-made Google tablet comes as a response to Google threatening to leave the country in 2010 as authorities wanted to censor more than Google thought possible.
What’s worse is news that without China, the projected sales of the Nexus 7 in 2012 might drop by more than a half - down from 8 million to merely 3.5 million devices.
There is really not much that Google can do here. The Chinese Government move will without a doubt allow Chinese white box manufacturers to gain some ground and momentum with their own products. It doesn’t sound fair, but we guess Chinese companies have been dreaming for such kind of protectionism, don’t you think?
1. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8152; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Ouch. That's going to affect Google. No tabs = no content bought in Google Play store.
8. Aeires (unregistered)
Likely no market for Motorola handsets either. Ouch indeed.
2. MeoCao (unregistered)
I don't think Chinese government can do that, this would start a trade war against China's interests.
I guess this is only a red tape delay.
5. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Yes China can and will do. It is on all front. They would not even budge on the Syria situation.
And since USA owe big debt to China, USA already lost the bargaining chip. Trade war? It's pretty much one sided, USA will not function without cheap chinese made components on all fronts.
10. Aeires (unregistered)
And guess where most of the US manufacturing went?
Corporations have no loyalty to any government, only to their bank accounts.
15. nak1017 (Posts: 328; Member since: 08 Jan 2010)
Mexico, India, Taiwan, Japan, Brazil, Vietnam, Indonesia, and, yes, even Canuckastan (who are the US's largest trading partners by far).
18. threed61 (Posts: 127; Member since: 27 May 2011)
US could retaliate against Huawei and ZTE. And the debt holder is very much at the mercy of the debtor when you talk numbers like US and China. It's more likely China will make its point and then the two will reach an accord.
35. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Yes they will, but not after Chinese branded tablets have enough time to take off and gain enough market shares.
21. itiswhatitis (Posts: 421; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
Or US coporates can invest in Myanmar(where??look it up in google earth)I heard the country just opened up to the world after decades of isolation and also according to the reports cost of labour is even cheaper than china,you get 3 labourers for the price of 1 compare to China but on a side note I don't think its all about cheap labourers I think its also about rare earth metals,again those can be found in Myanmar too(guess i'm too into these stuffs;)
36. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
There is no proper infrastructure in Myanmar. And yes people know where Myanmar is and it's the former Burma.
There is no proper government support and it is really corrupted. You have to guard against your investment. It's a tiresome affairs even if you have inside men or partners to guide you through.
The best you could invest there right now is probably construction contracts.
45. itiswhatitis (Posts: 421; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
Yeah since they just opened up their infrastructures gonna need a lot of development,the fact that it just reformed I guess transparency level is pretty low but in a few years it should definitely attract a lot of investment around manufacturing
14. nak1017 (Posts: 328; Member since: 08 Jan 2010)
This is international saber rattling 101
The ban has no real benefit to the chinese government, they just want to show Google that they can do it. It's a show of strength...
37. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Yes they do. The benefit is keeping Chinese Yuan inside China and make Chinese Companies prosper. Maybe the USA should do some of that for a start.
31. rf1975 (Posts: 242; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
If us can impose unfaire tariffs on chinese solar panels to protect us solar manufactures, Why chinese cant do to this?
38. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
And after imposing tariffs, US solar panels still cost more than their Chinese counterparts.
They issues is Labour cost is too high in the USA, raw material cost is too high, and you naturally end up with a higher cost product.
To fix the issues, labour cost and pricing structure needs to fix across boards in the USA and there is no way this will ever happen.
3. itiswhatitis (Posts: 421; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
If chinese government doesnt want,Indian government will welcome it with big welcoming hands!!!
17. nak1017 (Posts: 328; Member since: 08 Jan 2010)
I want to double thumbs up this...
As soon as India gets infrastructure, look out!
28. rusticguy (Posts: 2826; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
India is ruled by pirates currently. All busy in enjoying the proceeeds of plundering the national resources ... they welcome anyone who can pay the mafioso in Italy :)
39. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
You mean for the 1% in India who could afford it?
6. pankajgupta (Posts: 59; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Both China Users and Google loose here.. what is the Govt thinking.. ??
And it is Asus and not Google's product.
Ban all Android smartphones since they are using Google made OS??
9. cj100570 (Posts: 204; Member since: 12 May 2009)
It's not an Asus product, it's made by Asus for Google. Much like the iPhone is made by Foxconn for Apple. There's a subtle difference.
27. rusticguy (Posts: 2826; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
US should pull out of all "Outsourced" manufacturing China. Will US Do? No it won't as Obama hates Outsourcing ... :D
40. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Google already lost before it even started. China is Baidu's land. Maybe google will stand a better change when China becomes a democracy.
7. Veigald (Posts: 237; Member since: 13 Jan 2012)
China doesn't play fair in other areas, so why start here? They're the new playground bully, and has no qualms about that role.
11. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Though I would not say it is only China who does not play fair. What about USA import restrictions? All countries try to protect their own economy. Some more aggressively than others.
13. nak1017 (Posts: 328; Member since: 08 Jan 2010)
Actually US trade restrictions are not all that high, hence the huge share of foreign made goods
12. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Also, why would China be bully if BIG USA corporations moved their production to China? They are the ones to blame.
16. JoeBelfiore (banned) (Posts: 79; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
GOOD, China FTW! Sanction Google for copying!
20. tedkord (Posts: 4641; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
That just might be the least intelligent comment ever on phonearena. And that's saying something.
19. jove39 (Posts: 1276; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Hmmm...how about US ban on China made devices...iPhone/iPad...hahahahahahaha...that'll be awesome!!!!
22. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
google should bring it to india with all the play store content
23. medicci37 (Posts: 622; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
China Sucks. The U.S. is getting screwed by China when it comes to free trade.
41. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
How about you stop buying Chinese products. That is everything that is made and produce in China.
Anyone will have to be the top 0.01% to afford that lifestyle.
24. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
good China already have enough cheap tablets.. dont need another one..
26. networkdood (Posts: 6267; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Hey, I.B., the N7 would be the best tablet in China....
25. networkdood (Posts: 6267; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Bad move by China, but then again, this is nothing new.
29. NewWireless (Posts: 27; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
You know whats funny.... I could of swore I read somewhere that the Nexus was built here in the good ole USA, of domestic and foreign parts of course but it is made here in the USA. So we export a pretty good device to China they say NO, but we have Walgreens and Walmarts and every store in between that sells a made in China tablet device....
I know we as America can't just cut China off, hell China owns the United States. Most people don't know but China purchased most of America's Debt for interest payments. So yea I can see how China can say no.
On the flip side, China's new premier used to work in the midwest and has lots of friends there still, maybe things will change.
42. Alistaire (Posts: 132; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
That is just the Nexus Q? (that sphere like device) I think. There is a write up somewhere. Though how many Nexus Q did Google sell? Is it even for sales?
30. IHatePhones (Posts: 99; Member since: 12 Aug 2009)
They would have sold many more here there and everywhere (except China) if they just allowed external SD card storage... I'd have one right now if they weren't SD card haters. I have a ton of content that won't cut it on a primarily cloud centric device. At least not without a mobile connection... I could accept a 32GB version but all I have now are rumors..
33. DigitalMD (Posts: 226; Member since: 17 Feb 2010)
Yeah that was really a stumbling block for Apple too , that cloud storage thing...................
43. IHatePhones (Posts: 99; Member since: 12 Aug 2009)
Yeah but they have products that go up to 64GB internal, which would be great on the Nexus 7.
I like the backup capabilities of an SD card as well. As I said before, if it doesn't have a mobile connection I'd like that external storage option as well.
I like as many contengency options as possible. Paranoid? nah, prepared? Yup.
32. DigitalMD (Posts: 226; Member since: 17 Feb 2010)
This is what you get when you have a debt ridden apologist for a US President. Go bow some more Obama..........
44. JunkCreek (Posts: 402; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
Great Country, Great Policy... Protect their nation product. Great Concept. Not likely in my country, Everything overseas is great than everything in the nation, what a fvck vup country...