Galaxy S5 Prime said to arrive in June with a Quad HD display to tackle the LG G3 directly
1. NexusPhan (Posts: 600; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Is it possible this is going to be the first Android Silver device? How awesome would that be?
2. rd_nest (Posts: 1388; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Samsung doesn't care Nexus/GPE/Silver devices. It's not like Samsung needs marketing help from Google. I would rather think Google needs marketing lessons from Samsung.
Certified by "Android Silver" tag means absolutely nothing for common people or sales in general.
You don't even have a S5 GPE, why would they care about Silver which is targeted to highlight Google software rather than Samsung product??
4. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Hello no more cheap junk plastic
This will have premium materials
12. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I can tell you that the plastic on the S5 doesn't feel cheap at all, Samsung doesn't use glossy plastic anymore so don't judge the quality of the plastic as there are many kinds of plastic that feels good.
34. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1807; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
It does feel better in the hand than the glossy plastic did, but make no mistake, it still feels ridiculously cheap.
45. pego99 (Posts: 86; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
Arty would be happy with even a crap phone if it is metal.
What a maroon.
Even the expression "cheap junk plastic" sounds like a child.
46. JEverettnow (Posts: 224; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
im not a fan of aluminum phones. I noticed the HTC one and One m8 consistently have weaker signals and have had more issues than the s4 and s5.
I work as a phone tech so I have these phones near me all day. Aluminum phones are heavy and Im just not a fan of the feel.
47. papss (unregistered)
Strange because my m8 constantly has better reception than my L1520 or others I've had this past year (note 3 and G2)
48. davenycept (Posts: 200; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
Thank you...everyone is jumping on the bandwagon about metal.. let's see how everyone is when you have signal loss...most ppl were happy with the galaxy phones until the One series came out..Sammy really just needs to move the speakers that's it..use the "quad surround" speakers like we've seen in those prototypes
59. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1102; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
I have been living with a metal phone (One) for almost a year now and never had a reception problem, hilariously as it might seem there were situations that my friend's phones would be out of signal and mine wasn't.
3. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
What about the specs?
Hope it comes with E5422 A15s at 22nm, and not the A9 glorified Snapdragon 805
9. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Are you really that spec hungry? We're all waiting for the Snapdragon 805, and you're the only one here that's going far away. Do you really need your phone to be super super super powerful? Why not get a gaming laptop if you want such specs?
23. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Yeah just like iP5s Arm A15 A57 64bit at 1.3Ghz is on par with S801
And that's only at 1.3Ghz. So imagine at 2.5Ghz....
So you won't be complaining at 2015 when it's available. ...
Why not and can't we have it know
30. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3686; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
hold on everyone here we have a "power user" who waits 22 seconds for PA site to load. And also according to him iphone 5s uses Arm A15 A57. We can get a idea of his nerd level eh.
36. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Try it for yourself on a N2 with flash enabled
35. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1807; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
One, the A7 is NOT ARM A15. It is closer to the A53, if you look at the micro architecture .
Two, none of the SD 800 Series processors are in the same league with the A7, and that includes SD 805. The iPhone 5S cannot reach the performance ceiling of the A7 because of memory restrictions, and it's ceiling is higher than anything on, or soon to be on, the market in 2014. Anand did a great article on it a couple of weeks ago.
37. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1478; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
Iphone5S doen not use A15 or A57... Don't you realize that what you just wrote doesn't make any sense?
E5422 will still use A15, and those are not far away from the Krait 400 on the Snapdragon 801/805. So you shouldn't care that much till they don't put some good dual core with A57 at least.
Cyclone is theoretically more powerfull than A57 though, if that's you standard.
38. livyatan (Posts: 867; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Arte is obviously that "TROLL" guy that most of the resident posters of this site will remember.
Only he can be that dumb to still go on with the same retarded story even after all this time.
Supposedly know the difference between the Krait, A9 and A15, yet he thinks A15 can run a 64 bit code.
Oh and Cyclone is absolutely not resembling the A53, that is laughable.
Even the A57 is much simpler architecture than the Cyclone.
Cyclone is a desktop-like architecture comparable to Core from Intel.
It has 6-wide design, and more than double the die size compared to any ARM Cortex core.
Hence, to be used in phones and tablets, it has to be heavily underclocked.
58. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1478; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
OK, thanks for telling.
After his last resoponses I'll make a mental note not to bother answering him again. He obviously doesn't have a clue.
41. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
It's still par with baytrail the A7 and A57
Even the Eyxnos 5422 on 22nm is on league ahead of A7
Apple them self say Eyxnos so Cpus are better than swift and cyclone
Just doubled L2 cache
A57 have 8 pipelines vs 6 on A7
A7 is still an ArmV8
43. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1807; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
No Exynos is on par with the A7. Exynos is a marketing name for mostly stock ARM, since Samesung still doesn't have an ARM Architecture license. Repeat after me: The A7 Cyclone is the most powerful ARM processor on the planet. Smarter people than both of us have made this proclamation.
49. livyatan (Posts: 867; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Are you high? Drunk? Banged your head?
A57 is not even near the Cyclone, it is 3-wide vs 6-wide and far more advanced cache adressing.
The advantage of A57 is that it is much simpler and smaller so it can be clocked higher.
So typically, a 2GHz A57 should perform similarly to 1.4GHz Cyclone, on a 28nm HPM process.
But again, the Cyclone is too big and power hungry to be used in a quad core configuration, while the A57 is not.
So a typical 4×2GHz A57 configuration will be much more powerful than dual Cyclone.
51. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Intel baytrail destroys this in pure processing power
42. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
E5422 at 2.1ghz vs S801 at 2.7 ghz are same
E5422 clocked at 2.7ghz will destroy the S805 at 2.7ghz ghz
54. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3686; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
HM-MM keep the bullsh*t coming, i'm listening
33. troutsy (Posts: 308; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
He's posted his list of must-haves for a new device on plenty of articles on PA. Basically he pulls every buzzword from technologies that are in early R&D stages and expects them to go into mass production right now.
Spec hungry is putting it nicely... I'd say wildly delusional.
27. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3686; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
yeah with ugly touchwiz over it sorry
5. Astoni (Posts: 630; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Anyone got any good suggestions what i should get next?, Currently using z1 and going to Change in October-november. Either Note 4, Galaxy (F) if its going to happen or LG g3?.
7. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
There are no any good suggestions at the moment, because the phones you mentioned haven't released yet. Be happy with your Z1 first, it's still a good phone.
6. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
The S5 owners will be mad of this for sure, Samsung released their flagship S5, then now they will be releasing a flag to their flagship S5 Prime. It's like a slap to the face of the S5 owners. How can you expect people to buy your flagship if you use this kind of flagship cycle?
8. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1102; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Sony has done this for years now and nobody seems upset about it, but then again Sony confirmed they have a 6 month flagship cycle and Samsung denied this phone would come.
10. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
It's different, Sony have a 6 month flagship cycle which is a bad strategy already but Samsung is even worse, they release another flagship after three months which is the first time I've seen from any manufacturer.
22. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3532; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I don't think 6 months cycle is a bad strategy. That way they can always have the best specs available at that moment. Though if they want to keep that cycle they shouldn't let these delays happen. This really breaks the circle
I know I'm a minority in this aspect.
40. Peeyushmalik96 (Posts: 73; Member since: 08 Jun 2013)
I dont think so because prime version will be priced ridiculously high.
Even if Samsung had launched both the versions together S5 would have sold more because of its lower price.
55. willard12 (Posts: 1345; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
If you bought an S5, then you got exactly what you paid for. If people are upset that better devices are released after theirs, that's a personal psychological problem. An S5 doesn't operate any better or worse because an F series is released.
11. niks0017 (Posts: 5; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
2 minutes of silence for people who just bought s5 ;)
13. FriendsOfSamsung (unregistered)
This >>>>> LG crap
24. DONUT (Posts: 370; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
b*tch bye. no one cares for your clearly blinded opinions
14. FoneAddict (Posts: 242; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
The S5 is expensive as it is how much will Sammy charge for this? $800 perhaps $900 this is crazy expensive! Pass.
26. FriendsOfSamsung (unregistered)
Says no one ever
44. SamDroid (unregistered)
Said him ever
Now I see why people call you a troll
17. tiara6918 (Posts: 1948; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Finally with all these prime series trending, iPhone will no longer be just the single phone that is used as a status symbol because of it's very high price
20. MarkArigayo (Posts: 240; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
Cheap fake leather on S and Note series aren't comparable to high quality polycarbonate found on LG's flagship.
29. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3686; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
as far as i know note 3's faux leather was far better looking and feeling than LG G2's " high quality polycarbonate". Argument over.
25. Smokin (Posts: 120; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
Actually i suspended my Z2's pre order because i think my Z1 is still a pretty solid phone so i decided to wait for either this, G3 or Note 4. One thing that i really dont like about LG is the finish. I actually liked Samsung's S5 and N3's backs.
28. ancellim (Posts: 34; Member since: 24 Mar 2014)
Taking this on a balanced view, the S5 Prime will appeal to higher-end consumers because of the "premium limited quantity" feeling. However, we should look at all sides of the competitors before we say which is best.
31. Taters (Posts: 6333; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
If this has a 5.2 inch LCD like the tab pro 8.4, then I am sold. 5.5 is too big and I am tired of all these 2014 flagships dropping the ball.
The only thing the GS5 was missing was that it should have been smaller than the GS4, not way bigger, and it needed a QHD screen.
57. Klamba92 (Posts: 210; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
Why does it need a QHD screen it's not like content has been made for it. The jump will probably be straight to 4K for media content being updated.
39. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Another lesson learn. NEVER EVER go out and rush to buy a phone when it first debut. I usually wait till October when buying a new phone.
52. redmd (Posts: 1125; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
I might ditch the note series for this though.
56. Einstein333 (Posts: 50; Member since: 22 May 2012)
Why would anyone actually want QHD? I couldn't even tell a difference when I moved to full hd. It only drains the battery faster.