Carrier IQ tracking scandal escalates: it’s not the manufacturers, blame the carriers
- Carrier IQ | Android Security Test - the initial report published by Trevor Eckhart (web link)
- Carrier IQ cease and desist order (PDF file)
- Eckhart’s response (PDF file)
- Carrier IQ's withdrawal and apology (PDF file)
1. Leyjee (Posts: 47; Member since: 25 Feb 2011)
Even if it is the carriers, its still wrong. I always thought that a mobile phone was something you could trust, but there is so much secrecy and surveillance behind them. Mind you though "turning off automatically" means to generally stop sending diagnostic reports to microsoft, google etc.
7. remixfa (Posts: 14056; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
eehh. . i have a hard time swallowing carrier bloat from an apple. apple doesnt allow squat on their devices that they dont want. unless they are getting privy to the information as well. Maybe that was all part of that tracking scandal a few months ago.
19. JonGarrett (Posts: 29; Member since: 06 Aug 2011)
you're an @ass. believe what you want but chpwn has a reputation and knowledge that's trusted by millions of iOS users and his word carries tons more weight than yours ever could.
If chpwn says its there in iOS then its there, go on with your denial you silly iDiot.
20. downphoenix (Posts: 2373; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Remixfa isn\'t an iDiot, and he is right that it doesn\'t sound like Apple, as Apple prefers to do the software all their own, thus why you dont have various carrier specific apps on Iphones usually.
21. remixfa (Posts: 14056; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
dude, someone just called me an iDiot!! take a picture!!! lolololol.
see, i get s**t from the apple guys when i defend android. i get s**t from the android guys when i defend apple. lolol... an iDiot for stating an obvious fact that even a blind fandroid would know.
thanks, i just laughed my ass off. lololol
22. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
lol you must be new if you think remixfa is an ifanboy lol lol lol
2. Victor.H (Posts: 450; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Absolutely, I\'d say it really is scary since all of that was/is happening without the user actually knowing someone could be spying pretty much his every action.
6. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
isnt this a government protocol? coz i dont think these carriers give a crap about our phones calls and such.. this is probably just for security purposes.. they can track down criminals because of this..
8. TheMaster (Posts: 4; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
You mean Wall Street bankers and The Government?... They have NSA approved CIQ free devices.
10. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
you know some of those movies where the CIA tracks down targets via their mobile phones? then the goons throw 'em away to avoid being tracked.. maybe something like that.. i believe thats what they have used to figure those 9/11 attackers..
11. rendHELL (Posts: 304; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
they watch your every move... with or without your permission...
13. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
i think thats true
23. rcrider4 (Posts: 118; Member since: 14 Nov 2011)
Or just wait until the outrage becomes high enough that carriers have to disable CIQ or get sued into oblivion.
5. mctcm (Posts: 204; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Really nice how they try to strong arm Eckhart then back down and want to "talk" when they find out he has representation
This is an example where regulation is needed to protect consumers from absurdly unethical actions. Obviously, that wont happen from any partisan group.
14. Victor.H (Posts: 450; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Agreed. Interestingly, probably they would\'ve succeed if it was the average person, but Eckhart stood his ground.
12. rob5150 (Posts: 125; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
I sent my senator a link to this story. Lets see if it helps. We all should. Just last week after the story came out about the shopping malls were going to track us by our cell phone. Senator Schumer released a statement ....http://thehill.com/blogs/hilli
15. Victor.H (Posts: 450; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Activism will definitely help resolve this quicker. Thumbs up!
17. networkdood (Posts: 6306; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Using TrevE logger app pro - the RAZR does not have any sign of CIQ on it - disabled all tracking....
18. LewsTherin006 (Posts: 140; Member since: 18 Nov 2011)
Every carrier but Tmobile actually has sents a copy of all its data to the government anyway, so its not like our data safe ( read this on the web once). Plus facebook steals are our information too. yes, its wrong of the carriers to do this but its not like this is the only way they steal our info.
24. denney (Posts: 98; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
The way I see it, weapons manufacturers could end us all with a push of a button, but they dont. Just because a company has the ability to do something terrible with their industry's technology doesn't mean that it is being done.