Breaking bad: Apple iPhone 5s and 5c drop test (video)
1. Yes-Sir (banned) (Posts: 58; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
Why and where is the black and gold version of the iP5s
4. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Sorry, no black version of iP5S. Maybe Apple is prejudiced against black?
37. akki20892 (Posts: 3744; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
No change for anyone in this test vs Nokia.
40. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6944; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
why this guy is wasting his money doing drop test? and good to see the screen can still crack
45. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9667; Member since: 14 May 2012)
The new screens Samsung and LG have in store for 2014. Can't wait until they're on next year's phones. :)
57. softfurryanus (banned) (Posts: 232; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
The flexible ones? Yeah, that is simply the display, not the glass covering it, which will still crack anyways.
44. Pancholo (Posts: 380; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
They don't really waste their money on drop tests. They get sponsored and get provided either with the phones or the money to get them. After said drop tests they also probably do repair videos, so it's still a win-win.
46. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4537; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Why do people insist on talking about how others "waste" their money?
WHO CARES! It's NOT your money. Worry about YOUR money not someone else's money whom you have never met.
47. artealis (Posts: 98; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)
because the world economy, this world, the same world you live is in economic crisis.
yes who cares, you still live alone in a cave right, no need for anybody, no care for anybody, you and your big ego just said who cares with the african people died because no water for them as long as you can shoved that shiny fruit phone in the a55 and bragging to your friend how rich you are.
i can see no different between apple CEO and their fanboy. arrogant and heartless.
48. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4537; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
During the middle ages Europe was in chaos. So much poverty & only the rich were a select few. It lasted until the poor revolted. Nobody got a handout & nobody was helped. The people unified & did it themselves.
We should let poor countries figure it out because if you go & keep giving aid you create a country who depends & they will not fight for what is right. They all need to STAND UP unify & DEMAND better from their governments. You keep giving free handouts they WILL keep coming back for more whether it be the stray cat in your back yard or a poor person in some poor 3rd world country. What incentive do they have to work for a better life if we keep giving aid.
Enough with the politics, look my point is that too many people in this world are worried about PETTY things like money "wasting" when it's not their money in the first place. People need to keep calm & worry about themselves & not worry about the pockets of the next man.
Why don't you make some EXTRA money, go to those countries, be those people's freedom fighter & stop worrying about things that really have nothing to do with you, like what people are spending their money on.
51. thequota (Posts: 37; Member since: 02 Apr 2013)
is it me or did the iphone 5s not drop on its face? instead hit the side and just kind of flipped around
49. Sauce (unregistered)
Amen! First post of yours I agree on!
54. hons9424 (Posts: 7; Member since: 07 Aug 2013)
Isn't that the "Black Color" one already gone (pass away)??
2. Ninetysix (Posts: 1813; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
All phones crack when dropped unfortunately :(
3. anleoflippy (Posts: 405; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
Yeah, no matter what type of glass.
Whether it is durable tempered glass, Corning, Dragontrail, etc.
10. Yes-Sir (banned) (Posts: 58; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
Except Vertu phones! Sapphire glass
17. alterecho (Posts: 1094; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
And Nokia 3310 and most Nokias, ofcourse.
6. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Unless you have an Otterbox Defender case. Then the phone+case bounces. And your phone has survived for another drop.
41. theruleslawyer (Posts: 108; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
Right, but you can only carry it in cargo pants.
7. darkkjedii (Posts: 14119; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Try telling that to the you-know-who's. +1
5. darkkjedii (Posts: 14119; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Both were pretty solid, but wow that 5S is durable. 2 hrs 40 min to go.
9. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Did you drop your earlier iPhone? I just don't get the whole waiting in line thing. You could be snuggled in bed with your honey. Instead, you are waiting in line? Objectively, I think your priorities are mixed up.
12. darkkjedii (Posts: 14119; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Well Doug, you and I never argue and we won't now. You're a droid guy I happen to respect, but here goes. I'm not snuggled in bed with my honey, cuz she demanded to come with me, she actually wanted to experience this bro. Her jr, and work are my priorities and they're all taken care of. My priorities are actually in line, no need to list them. We as men know what we need to do. She's gone for coffee, I'd rather stand here in the dark with total strangers alone than have her do it while I get coffee. And yes I dropped my ip5 several times, once it took a very very nasty fall from about 10 feet up at the flamingo hotel. That fall left it with a cracked/shattered screen :(
20. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
An Otterbox Defender might have saved the day, but 10 feet up is a bit above and beyond.
As far as the rest of your post, if your honey wants to do the standing in line thang, more power to her. I guess you have to experience it at east once in life. (Dunno)
Personally, I prefer having the FedEx Truck bring my toy. But right now, I am trying to decide on a Droid Maxx.
Good luck with your 5S. Hope it doesn't get dropped from 10 feet up. If it does, I guess you will be waiting in line for the iP6?
21. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
P.S.: I got cured of waiting in line in another life when I lived in Pasadena and friends wanted to wait in line for front row seats for the Rose Parade. The line started 3 days before the parade. By the time the parade started, I (along with more than a few others) was wasted.
But if your honey wants to do the waiting in line thang, it is part of your life together. I wonder if she will want to repeat the experience?
30. darkkjedii (Posts: 14119; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Damn dude 3 days!!! Now that I'd pass on lol.
29. darkkjedii (Posts: 14119; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I hope it doesn't either dude, I was pissed to hell and back, when I picked it up. It still worked though. Can't go wrong with a droid maxx. I've been doing the stand in line thing for about 4 years now, call me crazy but I actually like it, it's fun. She was adamant about coming, I told her to chill and just come like 7:30, but we're close friends too so along she came. I bet she won't come next year though, sleeping in the car isn't like our bed lol. +1
8. zachattack (Posts: 611; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
Interesting how much stronger the 5S is. It is way more premium however. Aluminum will always scuff and dent, doesn't even look that bad. In general just take care of your phone and you will never drop it XP
14. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Drop test done by hand are not accurate. Even when done by a machine it doesn't always land the right ways.
11. chunky1x (Posts: 265; Member since: 28 Mar 2010)
This is news? Everybody knows iPhone is brittle.
15. Ninetysix (Posts: 1813; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
iPhones being brittle is news to me.
58. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
You can watch people beat their phones with hammers and drop them all day and survive. It will never crack from those it will crack from stupid stuff like landing just right enough to send all the pressure into the screen from a 2ft drop.
13. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
Nothing are durable and strong in this world :P
39. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1062; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
I would happily pay an extra $30 for a sapphire screen!
50. Sauce (unregistered)
I would happily pay an extra 100$ for a sapphire screen!!
18. flatronics (Posts: 1; Member since: 20 Sep 2013)
why they didn't turn the phone on to see if it's still functioning correctly? and, is that a real iphone 5s and 5c?
19. ximacloudx (Posts: 12; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Yesterday when I was out with my friends, I had one friend with an iphone 4 that the front was cracked, one where the front and back were cracked, and one where the front and back were both cracked and the pixels were messed up to where it looked like it was in negative. Phone drops can be tough
27. pixel8or (Posts: 48; Member since: 10 Jun 2010)
As always, not very scientific. The 5c face test may have landed on the tip of one of the uneven cobblestones. Meh...
28. jb4674 (Posts: 143; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
I hope this dumbass gets his money back for those POS phones.
33. tedkord (Posts: 6223; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Drop tests are, as always, next to useless. Since you cannot have every phone land exactly the same way, it's meaningless. You would need to drop hundreds of each model each way to have anything approaching legitimate data.
38. rob5150 (Posts: 134; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
exactly, plus look at the ground that he is dropping it on, all different shapes and edges to those rocks that are in the concrete, so big whoops, the 5s may have avoided falling on the same protruding corner
42. jb4674 (Posts: 143; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
A better test should be throwing it into a wall to see if it survives.
52. McLTE (Posts: 731; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Seriously.. what is the point of these tests? We all know that when you drop todays cell phones, the screen is likely to shatter. Is it a guarentee? NO. it shure is a risk though!
I've had my Note 2 launch out of my lap onto the pavement 2 times, while getting out of my truck and all I have to show for it is scuffed up corners and pristine glass. Does that make my Note 2 more durable? NOPE. It means I got lucky 2x!!
53. promise7 (Posts: 518; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
I know it's their money and they can do to the product whatever they wish, but these drops tests are insanely stupid, and useless.If Phone Arena doesn't care what happens to these phones, wouldn't they be better served giving them away to Phone Arena users in a contest? Would make the community happier rather than see them go to waste.
56. rdemon (Posts: 46; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
I just like the part where dropped the iPhones.
59. MSCCAG (Posts: 14; Member since: 12 Nov 2013)
Leather ejected molding with the 4corner TPU reinforce,Improves elasticity,avoid hurt from the drop by accident. this iphone5s drop resistance case is the right one from gadget2us,also slim pattern
60. sootfoot5 (Posts: 1; Member since: 16 Jan 2014)
I have held onto my 3gs because I have neuro problems and tend to drop things. My phone is dropped on an almost daily basis. Most of my friends have iphone 4 and all of them have suffered from a cracked screen at least once while I never have. I don't have any special case on my phone - it is just that the way the 3gs was made was more protective of the screen and the body of the phone in general so that my repeated drops have not done any damage to the phone. Now it is time that I must make a decision to get a new phone as my battery is dying and I have needs that the 3gs doesn't cover. If I stick with iphone I know now at least to go for 5s, so this video was helpful to me. But I doubt that the 5s is anywhere as tough as the 3gs. The way the sides curve in on my phone is what I believe protects it. Oh well - Apple has to make a buck somehow, right?