x PhoneArena is hiring! Reviewer in the USA

Text input9.5/10
Everyday usage9.3/10
UI speed9.1/10

johnriii
posted on 3 days ago, 10:05 (Posts: 240; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)

Samsung is getting close....

johnriii has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

got my S8plus the day after release. easily my favorite Samsung to date, and I loved the Note 4 and the S7edge. my only issue with the phone is the fact that premium seems to equal fragile. gorilla glass is not as tough as it sounds, at least not for drops and such. it would be best to invest in a skin for the back, and a decent minimalistic case that will work with the skin. picking this phone up off a desk or table in a hurry is damn near impossible, and will result in the aforementioned drop here and there. the battery is decent for most normal everyday use, and that infinity display is amazing. the camera is top notch, it's hard to take a bad quality photo. of course, the biggest public gripe is the placement of the fingerprint scanner, and I was one of those as well. however, muscle memory has kicked in, and I don't think I ever touch the camera anymore after about the first two weeks. I can do it right or left handed, though I am a lefty. facial recognition works most of the time, but it can be picky at times, then I quickly trigger the fingerprint scanner. overall, this phone is another step in the right direction for Samsung, and it looks like the Note 8 has addressed some of the issues that nag at this phone. I could see myself waiting for the S10, bypassing the S9plus next year.

Build quality 6/10 it's beautiful, but that comes at a price. this phone is quite slippery without a case and very fragile.
Reception 9/10 no problems at all getting or making phone calls and I spend 2-3 hours on some phone calls with no static at all.
Camera 10/10 as stated, difficult to take a bad quality photo. Samsung has made taking photo so simple.
UI speed 9/10 could be better, but in 8 months I've experienced "some" lag...but it's the best Samsung I've had in regards to this attribute
Display 10/10 what can you say? this thing is beautiful!
Battery 9/10 standby time is excellent, battery drainage during use is above average. I can get through a 13 hour day with medium use and still have 35%-40% left before I put it on the charger at night.

• ease of use

Cons

• fingerprint magnet
  • slippery
  • fragile build quality
  • bixby

osterrich21
posted on 30 Aug 2017, 16:55 (Posts: 35; Member since: 14 Apr 2017)

Galaxy s8

osterrich21 has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

At first sight the s8 seems the perfect smartphone, but with the diary use I see fault some things , but mainly the fragility of back in glass.Still I using superprotective cover I feel that smartphone dropping I lost my money. Just I hope Sammy change the material used in the cover of the top smartphones.

Pros

• Look
  • P2 input

• Back in glass
  • No stereo speakers

baldilocks
posted on 18 Jul 2017, 08:23 (Posts: 945; Member since: 14 Dec 2008)

Welcome back Samsung

baldilocks has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

Finally a Samsung phone that has dragged me away from the Google Pixel XL. This phone (especially the Exynos variant), is the most fluid and optimized Android phone I have ever used.

And that screen? Wow.

Pros

• - screen
  • - build quality
  • - fluidity (Exynos version)
  • - Great non Google Apps

Cons

• - fingerprint reader in odd location

Andrewtst
posted on 16 May 2017, 11:49 (Posts: 684; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)

No regret return back to Android

Andrewtst has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

The Infinity screen is the main wow factor - I can't see any phone is beauty now except this S8+ and G6.

The camera is finally in great output and no over sharpening issue or any fake color render.

Build quality is outstanding solid!

The new UI is clean and even far nicer than original stock.

Very happy ditch the iPhone 7 Plus and back to android now. :)

Build quality 10/10 Build quality is extremely excellent.
Reception 10/10 I don't have issue on reception.
Call quality 10/10 I don't have issue on calling.
Internet 10/10 I don't have issue on internet
Multimedia 9/10 Wish they came with better dual loudspeaker.
Camera 9/10 Wish they where 2 camera and one of it is wide angle.
UI speed 7/10 It is not extremely smooth in animation yet. Samsung need more effort on this to make it smooth like what suppose nougat have.
Everyday usage 10/10 It is my daily driver now
Text input 10/10 I had no issue on input.
Display 10/10 The display is extremely gorgeous! The best screen I ever own.
Battery 9/10 It serve it purpose and last long in my expectation. Off course the standby still no way near the iPhone.

Pros

• Stunning Infinity Screen
  • Stunning Camera
  • Stunning UI Design and Look
  • Fast Charging
  • Memory card expansion

Cons

• Animation Smoothness could be better
  • Wish they came with dual camera and one of it is wide angle
  • Loudspeaker could be better in dual
  • Extremely stupid position of fingerprint sensor

2112jc
posted on 11 May 2017, 19:06 (Posts: 8; Member since: 15 Jul 2012)

S8 Plus - AT&T

2112jc has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Swapped from an iPhone 7 Plus to the S8 Plus. Very happy with the overall device, except the fingerprint scanner. It is in the worst location possible for a right handed user. I find myself having to physically look at the back to make sure my finger hits the right spot. The Iris scanner and Face recognition has yet to work consistently. I have dropped 2 calls since having this phone, where I had never dropped a call before, iPhone 7 plus, Galaxy S7 Edge, Mate 9, Honor 8, all had perfect reception. This is all in the same location, so I would expect it to have just as good as reception.

Battery life is good, screen is absolutely awesome! The edges are much less dramatic than the S7 Edge, more in line with the Note 7 edges. It feels like a premium device, build quality is nice. Typical touchwiz sluggishness. I find myself hitting the period key when trying to hit the space bar, this is not the only phone that I do that on though, but it is still frustrating.

Pros

• Awesome Screen
  • Fast Charge
  • Memory Card Expansion

Cons

• Fingerprint Location
  • Bio-metric security needs improvement
  • Touchwiz

2112jc alternatives:

Khaled_2017
posted on 25 Oct 2017, 15:08 (Posts: 0; Member since: 25 Oct 2017)

My s8+

Khaled_2017 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

Perfect mobile but......
The only cons is the battery...poor
Every things work perfect: brighthnis.call.internet.
Back camera goog but the front camera poor image
Sooo the result: if u want mobile for only battery choose A7 2017 and if u want perfect designe and perfect display choose s8+

alanpcoleman
posted on 25 Oct 2017, 02:18 (Posts: 0; Member since: 25 Oct 2017)

Fragile- can't recommend it.

alanpcoleman has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

Good phone ruined by the fact it's fragile and broke easily. Some stuttering in software, great screen and night photography. Beautiful. But I can't recommend it as it broke and the screen is flaking. It should be impossible to break when in a case and fell only 30 centimetres.

Build quality 4/10 Phone was in a Samsun case, in a cradle on the car dsahboard which worked loose. Phone impacted on the centre console, some 30cm below and caused the screen to crack badly, with splintering of the glass in one area. Phone now is no longer waterproof as moisture is getting in.
Reception 8/10 Long distance calls sometimes muffled.
Internet 8/10 Slow to connect to the wireless router
Multimedia 9/10 Music via bluetooth good quality. Low volume from phone speaker itself.
Camera 9/10 Great night performance. At times a bit slow in daytime.
UI speed 8/10 Mostly good but sometimes hesitates. Not as fast as Nokia 8- marketdly slower.
Everyday usage 7/10 Too slippery to hold confidently. Very tall in pocket.
Text input 7/10 Challenging as the curved edge distorts the keyboard for the outer keys.
Battery 7/10 No issues but I'm a light user using power saving, and yet at night can be down to 30 percent battery.

Pros

• Screen and brightness

Cons

• Fragile
  • Occasional stutter in performance
  • Height
  • Expensive

o1kristina
posted on 26 Jul 2017, 17:50 (Posts: 0; Member since: 14 Nov 2016)

Can't put it down

o1kristina has owned it for less than year before publishing this review

I had pre-ordered it and this has worked so flawlessly and point on. I can't believe how amazing my photos and videos look since I travel a lot. I do almost everything on this phone. Although it's a beautiful , it's also a delicate cellphone so purcashing premium care should is highly recommended.

ipred
posted on 15 Jul 2017, 22:39 (Posts: 5; Member since: 02 Mar 2014)

Τhe future is here!

ipred has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

If you are looking for the best smartphone in design+display+camera, then your choice is definitely the S8! No smartphone can match the S8 in this triple combination. The only disadvantage is the non practical position of the fingerprint scanner. The Bixby button can be remapped or disabled via two apps in playstore.

Pros

• Outstanding design
  • Outstanding display
  • Top camera in all light situations
  • Excellent performance
  • Very comfortable grip
  • Fast charging
  • Wireless charging
  • Accurate GPS signal

Cons

• Fingerprint scanner in wrong position
  • Unnecessary Bixby button

saeedshakil
posted on 15 Jul 2017, 06:41 (Posts: 0; Member since: 18 Mar 2014)

one of the best smartphone ever made

saeedshakil has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

best samsung phone in the world right now.one of the best smartphone of 2017.world best display , one of the best camera,great build quality,good battery life,6.2 inch infinity display,water and dust resistence

Pros

• maximum positive

Cons

• ui is little bit laggy

saeedshakil alternatives:

bigmaninjax
posted on 09 Jul 2017, 13:11 (Posts: 0; Member since: 14 Aug 2014)

Great Phone, I I love it.

bigmaninjax has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I had the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S8 plus I love the phone there's definitely a step up it does everything I want to and it looks good. I have no complaints there really are no cons to have in this phone

rinojuric
posted on 07 Jul 2017, 17:27 (Posts: 0; Member since: 07 Jul 2017)

I like it

rinojuric has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

I like the phone. Somethimes it gets hot in my pocket without a reason. I dont really like bixby, maybe if it was only software based then it would be ok but a button is really useless especialy when the voice part isn't working and I press accidentaly a lot. Those are its only flaws

Pros

• Beautiful build
  • Excellent camera

Cons

• Gets hot sometimes
  • A lot of accidental presses of bixby button

ViperGeek
posted on 07 Jul 2017, 16:28 (Posts: 0; Member since: 15 Sep 2015)

Outstanding battery life and not as huge as you'd think

ViperGeek has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

After my Galaxy S7 Edge developed the all-too-common "pink line of death", I started to let my eye wander for new Android smartphones. We've alternated between LGs and Samsungs, but tend to keep coming back to Samsung. A friend of mine purchased a Galaxy S8 and loved it, so I decided to head to my local, friendly Verizon store to check out -- and especially HOLD -- an S8+.

I have fairly large hands (10" span), so large phones aren't a problem, but I didn't want to be walking around with a tablet in my pocket. As it turns out (easily confirmed on Phone Arena), the *overall* size of the GS8+ isn't much larger than my old GS7 Edge, while the viewable screen is incredibly large. There's been a lot of hype about the "infinity edge" marketing line, but until you see a GS8 or GS8+ play a widescreen 2.35:1 Netflix movie, you can't fully appreciate the almost edgeless display.

The speed and OLED contrast/color are as expected (excellent), but what my wife (owner of a GS8) and I are most impressed about is the BATTERY LIFE. After 16+ hard hours of usage, we're barely below 50% most days. And this thing *loves* the Samsung wireless charger. Less than two hours of wireless charge and the phone's back up to 100%. It's very difficult to believe that this has the same size battery as the GS7 Edge, but seems to last *twice* as long.

In summary, multiple thumbs up! I'm completely happy with my purchase and encourage anyone else looking for a new phone to audition the GS8 or GS8+.

• Large, crisp display
  • Blazingly fast CPU and UI
  • Beautiful camera
  • Very responsive fingerprint reader

Cons

• May be too large for users with tiny hands
  • Some may find the position of the fingerprint reader to be counter-intuitive.

parfu2
posted on 06 Jul 2017, 07:25 (Posts: 0; Member since: 06 Jul 2017)

Variant Differences

parfu2 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

My wife upgraded to the 8+ the other day. We purchased straight from Verizon. When she encountered an issue with connecting to Bixby and registering on the Samsung site, Verizon suggested we visit the Samsung desk at Best Buy. While they assisted us it was brought to our attention that BB had the same phone for $200 less. Obviously we returned the 1st phone to Verizon and purchased a 2nd from BB. However, now my wife feels there are certain features/settings/options that she can not find or select that were available with the Verizon version. The only variation I saw noted here dealt with Battery life. Anybody have any intel on specific variations?

Pros

• virtually everything

Cons

• variant differences - Verizon v Best Buy

belieber1996
posted on 16 May 2017, 18:33 (Posts: 4; Member since: 27 May 2013)

S8+ Verizon

belieber1996 has owned it for less than month before publishing this review

I came from an iPhone 7 Plus to this phone, and it's by far the best Android device I've ever owned. From the infinity display to the new Samsung Experience UI, the Galaxy S8+ proved itself to be a real game changer. The enhanced camera on this year's model failed to disappoint, which is a key feature I already expected. Battery life is definitely an improvement over the S7 Edge, especially since I keep the Always-On Display off at all times. I'm not much of a gamer by any means, so speeds on the device when doing daily tasks such as emailing and scrolling through my social media were not an issue. The expandable memory on the S8+ was a huge pull factor, since I'm a huge media hog when it comes to music and photos. I would definitely recommend this device to anyone who's looking for an android device with top notch features and a large display!

Pros

• Infinity Display
  • DualPixel Camera
  • Expandable Memory
  • Great Battery Life
  • UI Speed

Cons

• Biometrics could be a little more accurate
  • USB Type-C isn't a mainstream charger just yet

belieber1996 alternatives: