CoPilot Live breaks the mold, to introduce free offline navigation for Android and iOS by mid-March
posted by Daniel P.
Feb 26, 2012, 9:01 AM
CoPilot live has been one of the very good alternatives to the Google Maps GPS software on Android handsets so far, but you had to pay for its offline navigation.
Not any more - taking a page from Nokia Maps, the CoPilot app today introduces free downloadable maps for the whole wide world, coupled with millions POI. They don't require an Internet connection to show you the way, since they are stored on your handset.
Well, it isn't exactly like Nokia Maps, because you still have to pay if you want to hear a cute girly voice to tell you when to turn instead of staring at the screen, but you can buy the voice navigation add-on for $19.99 flat fee, and slap traffic and cameras for $9.99 a year, if you feel so.
Welcome changes, and we wonder if Google has something similar in mind for Maps that has forced CoPilot's decision, and whether the other notable GPS navigation apps like Sygic will follow suit. The offline CoPilot Live app will be available for download by mid-March.
New Offline Route Planning and Local Exploring App Announced for iOS & Android Devices
Mobile World Congress - Barcelona, February 27, 2012 - ALK Technologies Inc., one of the world's leading developers of mobile navigation software, today announced CoPilot GPS, a FREE route planning and on-board mapping app for iPhone, iPad and Android devices.
CoPilot GPS makes it easy to find places you need and provides the best route to the door. Search millions of pre-installed Points of Interest for nearby restaurants, hotels and gas stations. Find local businesses and attractions using Bing Search and Wikipedia. With CoPilot GPS, there's no need to rely on a mobile connection – detailed street maps of an entire country or region are stored on your smartphone or tablet, so the app still works even in offline mode.
Once you've selected your destination, CoPilot GPS calculates a choice of routes with turn directions, distance and travel time for each. Advanced multi-stop trip planning and optimization features, usually reserved for premium paid navigation apps, allow you to enter up to 50 stops and calculate the most efficient way to go.
- Maps stored on-board your smartphone or tablet for offline use
- Millions of pre-installed Points of Interest (POIs) with in-app dialing
- Powerful route planning with multi-stop trip optimizer
- Alternate Routes: CoPilot provides up to 3 ways to your destination. Drag and drop the route to adjust.
- Driving directions: manually cycle through the turns to your destination
- Walking mode: explore unfamiliar cities on foot with confidence
- Social sharing: let your friends know where you are with Twitter & Facebook status updates*
- Dynamic local content: find useful and interesting places with Wikipedia and Bing Search*
CoPilot GPS users can also upgrade to full voice-guided, turn-by-turn navigation via in-app purchase, and benefit from 3D map views, speed limit warnings, and realistic ClearTurn™ display with lane assist arrows and signposts at complex interchanges.
"Consumers are often left disappointed with free GPS apps because they usually rely on constant mobile data connectivity," said David Quin, Head of Consumer Applications, ALK Technologies. "CoPilot GPS offers smartphone and tablet owners a free navigation app that won't burn through their data plan, and will never leave them stranded without maps if they lose cell coverage."
ALK Technologies will showcase its latest innovations in mobile navigation, including the new CoPilot GPS app, on its stand at App Planet during Mobile World Congress Barcelona – Hall 7, Stand C80.
Notes to editors:
- CoPilot GPS will be available in Spring 2012 through the Android Market and iTunes App Store.
- Voice-guided, turn-by-turn navigation is available via in-app purchase for $19.99 for lifetime use.
- ActiveTraffic™: real-time traffic service that scans your route for delays and automatically provides a faster route if available – $9.99 for a 12 months subscription
*Route planning, maps and Points of Interest are available for offline use. Social networking status updates, Bing Search and Wikipedia require a mobile data connection
This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. You can order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers at https://www.parsintl.com/phonearena or use the Reprints & Permissions tool that appears at the bottom of each web page. Visit https://www.parsintl.com/ for samples and additional information.