Debate: Apple Vision Pro is official! What do you think about it?

Join the discussion
• 11mo agoedited
↵iphoneisboss said:

Got it, you can’t name one headset.

No, you just can't read, or you can read but not understand it.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 11mo ago
↵trakk8 said:

Of course all this is speculation (educated guess?) on my part as nobody can predict the future :)

Given that AR/VR has been pretty much stuck in first gear for the past 10 years, I can't see the revolution happening overnight just because of the Vision Pro. I like the Google Glasses AR concept much more.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 11mo ago
↵Moe2023 said:

AR/VR is waste of time money unless if used for medicine.

Or in different industries. Google Glass 2.0 and HoloLens 2 Industrial Edition are doing wonders in places such as car assembly, repair, architecture, and the medical field as well, as you pointed out.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 11mo ago
↵Smarf said:

It's clearly not meant for the mainstream audience. This is mainly for developers and the few wealthy apple enthusiasts that would buy anything with an apple logo on it. They need developers to buy these and start making all of the content for it that will someday make it desirable while Apple continues to find ways to make it smaller and cheaper.

Personally I find that strategy to be BS because they're making people pay 3500 for a niche product with very little content...expecting them to MAKE all the content...then charge them a fee for selling their content through apples app store...the very content apple is relying on to get more people to jump onto the bandwagon.

Yes but... developers develop software and apps for the mainstream market, most of the time. Also, it'd be crazy to ask developers to pay full price for this hardware in order to build your ecosystem. Apple should give devs free/heavily discounted units IMO

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 11mo ago
↵StanleyKubrick said:

I just replaced three major appliances that were all over 13 years old and two of them were failing. Washing machine, dryer (the one still working OK) and refrigerator...the total for all three was about $200.00 LESS than this toy! Now which of these will last at least another 10 years or more???

ROTFLMAO!

The real question here is: would you be more productive wearing these or using conventional tech such as a laptop/PC/smartphone? I don't see how waving my hands and seeing virtual windows float in my living room can speed up my working process... But then again, I haven't tried this Spatial Computer yet...

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 11mo ago
↵sgodsell said:

It's not official until it has an official release date. That date looks to be next year in the first half of 2024. So it could be in June of 2024 when Apple sells their first headset. By that time Apple could be using a newer version of the R1 chip, as well as an update M2 chip for their headset.

I don't think the silicon inside is the problem or has that much relevance to sales, price tag, etc... Apps and ecosystems are the things that have sunk AR/VR.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 11mo ago
↵ErikOiseaux said:

As opposed to what?

As opposed to NOT wearing one, I guess :))) I think regular glasses that act as a controller/external monitor are much more practical than a standalone device with that kind of bulk.

• 11mo ago
↵Ann01 said:

But why? Why can't people just live in reality and not behind technology. There's really no use for it.

And you typed this message using reality or technological device? Huh? Gotcha! ?

• 11mo ago

Pretty impressive for a first generation product but it's also pretty expensive too. The price need to come down to at most a $1000 then it would be accessible to wider user base. Apple is betting huge on future of AR/VR which is almost certain to be the next big thing. This first generation device is like experimental phase to check how the audience would react, plus became the forerunner of the next revolutionary change in tech.

• 11mo ago

Honestly I really do see this as having a future... Whether it is THE dominant future device or not... The interface, ecosystem and typical Apple polish all make it seem significantly more advanced than anything else out there and the control system is truly the most next-gen part of this tech. Apple have always been about usability and this is a clear hit out of the park on that point.

The social side of using a headset around people is still up for debate - I think it still seems heartless and cold but honestly if the tech makes that pass through more believable and the headset shrinks then I don't see this as too much of a barrier.

My main takeaway though is that this ISN'T a competitor to the iPhone or iPad. This is gunning for the Mac instead! If the pricing didn't tip you off then the all in one OS that connects to everything really should - this is designed to be a professional work tool and I really think it will absolutely be a competitor to people looking at buying a Mac and a ProDisplay XDR - and when you put it in context of that then it's actually very reasonably priced...

This is all very interesting and I'm excited to see how it works in real life one day myself!

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless