Kyocera Hydro Elite User Reviews

Build quality8.5/10
Everyday usage6.5/10
Call quality5.5/10

posted on 19 Oct 2015, 21:53 (Posts: 0; Member since: 19 Oct 2015)

Decent Phone For the Price

judg724 has owned it for more than one year before publishing this review

I do agree with the previous review that the voice recognition is kind of lacking a bit, the camera has poor low-light abilities, and the battery could be a bit bigger. That being said, this really is an excellent phone overall. Though I would like to see those things improved, they weren't a deal killer for me, as this phone does have some capabilites that I need, that others simply don't offer. For one, the lack of a regular earpiece speaker is great for me as I work in a loud environment. With the phone pressed against your head, you can hear very clearly in a loud environment, even with earplugs in! Very nice. Also, the screen is very resiliant. I've dropped it many times without a problem. I do use a gel case though. The screen is also MUCH better is full sunlight than many other phones I have had. The Motorold Razr Maxx I had, was so bad in the sun, it was unusable. This on you can see perfectly in the sun. Yeah, I wish it had a bit larger screen and a better camera, but I've had it for about a year and a half, and it has held up MUCH better than the previous 3 smartphones I've had. So if you want a durable phone for not a lot of money, I would highly recommend this phone.

Build quality 10/10 Very durable.
Reception 9/10 Pretty good in the large metal building I work in, even compared to newer phones.
Call quality 9/10 Excellent in a loud environment with earplugs on.
Internet 10/10 I use Opera Mini and Chrome, and both work great on this phone.
Multimedia 8/10 Watching and streaming videos is fine, just not as fast as newer phones with LTE Cat. 6, which is to be expected.
Camera 7/10 Camera has pretty lame low-light capability, and does not have the ability to pause while recording a video. The focus is less accurate and slower than the old Samsung Droid Charge I had 4 years ago, but it's better than the Motorola one I had that got dust inside the lens on an old Razr Maxx.
UI speed 9/10 This is stock Android so UI works very smoothly.
Everyday usage 8/10 Not bad, all the functions I use work well. Indicator light, answering calls and going to speakerphone, texting,
Display 10/10 While it's not the biggest or highest res display, the ability to view the screen perfectly in full sunlight, is a HUGE plus in my book. Seems to be very shatterproof too, as I've dropped it dozens of times on the cement at work, and never a problem.
Battery 6/10 Drains fairly rapidly in the factory I work in, needs to be charged at least once at work. Not as bad out and about or at home though, but could be much better.

• Really is waterproof, I took it to a waterpark thru the pools.
  • Screen viewing in full sunlight is EXCELLENT
  • Very durable being dropped dozens of times, (with a gel case)
  • Pretty much stock Android, so it's fairly fast
  • Very nice size and feel in hand
  • Removable battery and SD card
  • Ability to listen in loud environments even with earplugs in, thanks to the special display that acts as a speaker
  • Headphone and USB ports have held up very well compared to previous phones I've had

• Battery could be bigger
  • Camera has poor low-light capability and no option to pause video recording
  • Voice to text can be a bit less accurate than some phones

posted on 18 Dec 2013, 19:33 (Posts: 0; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)

MishaMell has owned it for less than 3 months before publishing this review

This is an awful phone. The things I do like are the 16 GB internal memory with SD slot. I like the 4G internet speed. I like that it is waterproof, although it doesn't function while it is under the water. What I do not like is the sound quality, even when the phone is dry it sometimes sounds as though you are speaking underwater. My husband and I both have this phone and both have trouble receiving calls and texts. The voice recognition is really bad. The camera takes horrible pictures, expecially in low light. My iphone 4 takes much better quality pictures than this phone. There is also some kind of water damage going on with the screen, it gets worse each time the phone gets wet (so much for it being waterproof). It has also been overheating very quickly, there is a spot on the screen that is lighter colored than the rest and that spot heats up when the phone is being used. lastly the battery life is terrible. I usually have to charge it 2-3 times a day, I use my phone a lot but no more than I used my iPhone 4 which usually lasted me all day. I would never recommend this phone to anyone. If you want waterproof just get a good phone and a waterproof case.

• 4G