ZTE surges past Apple to become the world's fourth biggest phone maker
3. cj100570 (Posts: 204; Member since: 12 May 2009)
Why do people keep calling Apple a phone "manufacturer"? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Apple contract out the actual manufacturing of the iPhone?
5. iankellogg (Posts: 155; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
many of these other companies don't manufacture their own phones ether. Motorola doesn't for example.
8. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
Correct and to separate it from say Microsoft and Google who make the OS...but don't design the actual handset. You'll see Apple vs. other manufacturers for amount of phone sold, but you won't see Apple vs. say Google unless we are talking about OS's. That's not a jab on either company for those who are trigger happy this morning...
16. andro. (Posts: 1960; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
The only major component apple designed in the iphone 4 was the antenna and the less said about that the better!
17. Phoneguy007 (Posts: 218; Member since: 02 Jun 2011)
also apple only has one phone that is a smart phone.....but the other companies make smart and non smart phones.
30. ardent1 (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
It has to do with business speak. The manufacturer is deemed the one who makes the product -- the fact the manufacturing process is outsourced or subcontracted out -- does change the fact that Apple "made" this product.
4. iankellogg (Posts: 155; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
I have barely heard of ZTE so this surprises me a bunch. I don't think they are very popular here in the states.
6. chocolatebear76 (Posts: 121; Member since: 03 Mar 2011)
the reason for this is coz u're not a techhead or fanboy
7. remixfa (Posts: 13930; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
ZTE is a very minor player in the US. They are huge however in emerging markets like china and africa where cheap handsets are the primary sales.
Apple has nearly slid off the page!!
10. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
This is for all phones including feature phones. Apple doesn't sell feature phones.
13. snowgator (Posts: 3233; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
I actually was going to say what Taco did. ZTE would not touch a list of only smartphones. It is pretty amazing that Apple can compete against these manufacturers with only one device.
There will always be a need for a basic phone, and a huge market for it. I often think some of these manufacturers that are going Smartphone only are making a mistake. Yes, feature phones are dying off due to Smartphones becoming so affordable. But basic talk and text phones will always have a market. Companies like ZTE and LG would be wise to stay in the market for that need.
31. ardent1 (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Check out Metro PCS, Cricket, or the other smaller carriers. Boost will carrying the ZTE Warp.
11. ledbetterp3 (Posts: 466; Member since: 31 Aug 2011)
Wow, never heard of the brand "others" but they're doing very well!
12. ledbetterp3 (Posts: 466; Member since: 31 Aug 2011)
Jk, but why doesn't ZTE make good phone for the US?
14. ayephoner (Posts: 837; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
i dont think they make many good phones at all. they are focused on up and coming countries (markets).
US carriers are focused on top tier devices, so they give all their business (even for feature phones) to companies that produce the big dogs.
15. Sniggly (Posts: 7113; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Ugh, ZTE. Cheap piles of crap. And their soft keyboards ARE a direct ripoff of Apple's.
20. 530gemini (Posts: 2198; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)
Expected. Apple only has the iphone, while Samsung and ZTE have all sorts of phones from low priced to high priced ones, so this is no surprise. Apple holding the 5th spot with only the iphone is still very impressive. Profitwise, Apple is still the most profitable. And the iphone still remains the most sold by model. But of course android fanboys will take this as that the iphone is no longer selling well :)
22. remixfa (Posts: 13930; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Apple is currently selling a dozen versions of 3 devices, so there is more than just "one iphone". Im sure this is counting total sales of everything, so it probably has iPad sales in there as well.
Q3 sales were down for apple. Was it just because the i4 was old and people were waiting on the i5 (apple fooled ya..lol)? Maybe. We will find out in the coming quarters.
24. 530gemini (Posts: 2198; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)
@remix. This just concerns the ip4 sales and not including other iphones from prior years. So why are you summing up all iphones including the ipad? There have been several articles already that stated that the ip4 ONLY, remains to be the top selling smartphone model with Verizon and At&t. Stop making up numbers, AGAIN.
Q3 sales are down of course for the iphone, but still remained strong and still exceeded expectations considering that there was no new iphone until after the 3rd qtr.
28. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Wow Apple has dozens of models as in more than 1 dozen? So they have at least 24 devices they sell? And in your mind this includes iPad sales even though it's clearly talking about phones?
Whatever helps you sleep at night. I guess only someone in massive denial thinks Apple isn't doing well.
33. Johnny_Mnemonic (Posts: 240; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Taco stop smoking that stuff your going nuts saying that Apple has dozens of models wow I can see now the 4s Is a ( new ) model ok sorry my mistake my eyes have been open I can see the difference. IPhone 4. IPhone. 4 s. Now that's what I call a new design culero
25. Pdubb (Posts: 239; Member since: 08 Aug 2011)
Apple has a free phone, and a $99 phone, to go along with the new phone. They also have a few sizes(gb) for each of the phones they sell. So they have more than 1 phone but they do make a ton off those phones.
32. 530gemini (Posts: 2198; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)
@pub. As I have said. There were articles released clearly stating that the ip4 only is the top selling phone model both in At&t and Verizon. Which part of "ip4 only" don't you understand? Are android fanboys that dense that they don't understand what "ip4 only" means, that you guys include all iphones? Lol.
27. Boti95 (Posts: 162; Member since: 05 Sep 2010)
I am actually thinking of buying a ZTE Warp from Boost Mobile. Sounds promising.
29. cupcake (Posts: 106; Member since: 15 Apr 2010)
I actually refuse to sell the one ZTE phone we do have. They're crap and bound to come back in days.
34. darth8ball (Posts: 519; Member since: 02 Aug 2011)
WOW. A little known company like ZTE comes along and kicks sand in the face of Apple. WOW. When you look at the chart of companies and what place they are in, after Apple is the 'Others' group. Apple is slipping and sliding, and losing ground.
35. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6579; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Never heard of ZTE but as long everyone is getting ahead of APPLE