Yahoo's board agrees to $1.1 billion acquisition of Tumblr
Yahoo has scheduled a press event for Monday at which time it is expected to announce the deal as well as an update to social picture sharing site Flickr. We will be updating this story throughout the day as new information comes in.
1. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Yahoo has 1billion in reserves! Wow!
Google should'ev bought it!
2. cwiley5045 (Posts: 16; Member since: 07 May 2010)
Hope this isnt Yahoo CEO Marissa first big mistake. From what I know Yahoo has 3 billion in cash. This is a large gamble for the company to get the youth.
3. madpiyal (Posts: 108; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
Ya, its a big risk she is taking but it might be the only one which in future be fruitful. Time will be the decider, lets see what happens.
4. corporateJP (Posts: 2152; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
Well, Tumblr was fun while it lasted...
8. jcarrigan (unregistered)
what is tumblr? what is flickr? i know twitter and facebook and google+ but all these other social things have me confused.
10. israinwet (Posts: 47; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
tumblr is awesome. You need to check it out
11. jcarrigan (unregistered)
5. PermanentHiatus (Posts: 267; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
They should've purchased Vine instead.
Vine is the future.
6. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6878; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Yahoo goes bankrupt as the board gets bonuses & everyone loose their job
7. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5977; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
The working stiffs always end up getting the shaft. It is just 'bidness.
9. roscuthiii (Posts: 1887; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
I hope Marissa has more up her sleeve than just purchasing Tumblr. I think it's going to take a lot more than pictures of what some acquaintances ate for breakfast, softcore/some-hardcore porn gifs, and daily affirmation comics (oh and the cats, must never forget all the cats) if she wants to make Yahoo hip & relevant again.
Was it ever really hip? Maybe back in the days when MapQuest meant something and they had Yahoo Chat, but that one devolved rather quickly into adolescent boys and middle aged men from whichever-country-you-are-in-they're-not-from-it asking a perpetual barrage of "a/s/l" & "cam?" (oh, and the bots, must never forget all the bots).
13. mydi.maus (unregistered)
14. kissily (Posts: 53; Member since: 09 Oct 2012)
Hope it goes well for Yahoo. They really are struggling to compete with Google.
16. taikucing (unregistered)
$1.1 billion is too much. Yahoo should buy it at $100 million
17. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5977; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
At a $100 million offer, there wouldn't have been a deal for Yahoo!'s board of directors to consider.