Windows Phone/RT welcome dozens of new apps: Instagram, Vine, FIFA 2014, Asphalt, Temple Run 2 and more
It really is Nokia's world today at Abu Dhabi – the Espoo-based handset maker has come out with a number of very compelling firsts today. So much so, in fact, that we wish we could somehow shake off that gloomy smile off our faces and witness the legendary company's latest attempt to get back into the big game without a sense of dread. A talk for another day, perhaps.
The new set of Nokia hardware goodness, however, is only a part of the whole package that the Finnish manufacturer will be pushing for consumers to consider. Whereas the aforementioned hardware has hardly ever been a weak point for most any of Nokia's devices during the last few years, the software undoubtedly has, despite Microsoft's best efforts with Windows Phone/RT. That's not to say that the underlying functionality and looks of the platform are not compelling, rather, it's the lack of an exhaustive app store that has been holding the software down. Today, Nokia is hoping to change that for at least some of us, by adding dozens of new apps to the Windows Phone/Windows RT platforms. Though an exact timetable wasn't provided, starting today, you can expect the see the following in the coming weeks:
- Instagram (WP8)
- Vine (WP8)
- Netflix (WinRT 8.1)
- Hulu Plus (WinRT 8.1)
- Vyclone Pro (WP8)
- Nokia Beamer (WP8)
- Nokia Video Director (WP8/WinRT 8.1 – Lumia 2520 exclusive)
- Nokia Storyteller (WP8)
- PicFeed (WP8)
- Xbox Video (WP8)
- CamScanner (WP8)
- SophieLens HD (WP8)
- DreamWork's Dragons Adventure, based on the How to Train Your Dragon movie (WP8/Lumia 2520)
- Asphalt 8: Airborne (WP8/WinRT 8.1)
- Disney Fairies Hidden Treasures (WinRT 8.1)
- EA SPORTS FIFA 14 (WP8/WinRT 8.1)
- Hot Rodz (WP8)
- My Talking Tom (WP8)
- Rabbids Big Bang (WP8/WinRT 8.1)
- Rayman Fiesta Run (WP8/WinRT 8.1)
- Temple Run 2 (WP8)
- Rail Rush (WP8)
- TuneIn Radio updated (WP8)
- ESPN F1 (WP8)
- Goal.com (WinRT 8.1)
- Goal Live Scores (WP8)
- Xbox Video (WP8)
- Flipboard (Lumia 2520 exclusive at start, and other Lumia devices later)
- Adobe Photoshop Express (WinRT 8.1)
- Evernote Touch (WinRT 8.1)
- Papyrus (WP8)
- Adobe Reader Touch (WinRT 8.1)
- eBay (WinRT 8.1)
- InNote (WP8)
- phriz.be (WP8)
- Papyrus (WP/WinRT 8.1)
- Nook (WinRT 8.1)
- Citrix Receiver (WP8)
- Citrix GoToMeeting (WP8/WinRT 8.1)
- LINE (WP8
- Facebook (WinRT 8.1)
- WeChat 5.0 (WP8)
Quite a mouthful, huh? Nokia didn't stop there, however, and also announced that it'll be offering $5 million worth of rewards through its DVLUP developer program that is now available to Asha devs, too. Moreover, Nokia is also providing a range of new design, development and troubleshooting tools that the company is hoping will not only help the creative folk get more productive, but also drive much needed interest for the platform.
1. Omar-BHR95 (Posts: 184; Member since: 23 Dec 2012)
WP HAZZ APPZZ AND GAMMEEZZZ !!!!
getting the Lumia 1520 for sure !!! bye Note 3
2. solomonsteve (Posts: 74; Member since: 19 Dec 2012)
OMG , Nokia nailed it. Now Microsoft should sit up and deliver more features to Windows phone OS (notification bar, better volume controls etc.
14. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 495; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
Its coming my good friend. In due time..
35. ZeroCide (Posts: 695; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
It will be here in WP 8.1 due out in few months
38. Dastrix (Posts: 599; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Nokia is the BEST! I don't think we've seen that much dedication before, especially coming from an OEM. M$ should be really glad to have Nokia under its arm. Much love and great job Nokia!
3. SAYED-EJAZ (Posts: 224; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
WOW by this windows os is one of the fast developing OS in the world !!!!
12. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8615; Member since: 14 May 2012)
No it's not... Three years later is has market share under 7%.
16. cc3493 (Posts: 155; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Market share is not a determining factor of how fast an OS develops. It only shows how much of a portion of the market the phone has claimed. Its a totally different category.
22. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8615; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Alright, so in three years, they've made little changes. I don't see how it's the fastest developing OS. Windows App Store is still lacking tremendously, which is why so many are turned off by the OS.
26. papss (unregistered)
I disagree smurf... they have made big changes in the last year alone. I remember getting my l920 and it needed major help in many categories but by the time I got the l10 20 it was much better and I see it again with this. Ext round of phones. Dog it all you want but it's a wonderful OS that is getting to where it needs and if apple doesn't start moving I can see wp moving into second place within another year or so.
39. Dastrix (Posts: 599; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
LMAOOOO... Now go back to your Google Search Box.
5. emadshiny (Posts: 1135; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Now WP deserves to be considered as a outstanding OS.
6. mishooo111 (Posts: 30; Member since: 22 Nov 2012)
one question does wondows rt compatibility mean that it will also be compatible with full windows... please answer me !!!!
15. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1100; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
the nokia tablet runs the new and improved Windows 8.1 on arms CPU operating system. This OS only runs Apps and programs designed to run on a touch screen Tablet like the Ipads and Android tablets do. it will not run any Desktop Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 desktop programs but it does come Pre loaded with Microsoft Home /Student/ and Windows "Outlook" making it a
tablet a busuines Person or college student can use to make documents and presentations.
7. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Yes! More apps means more OS competition, which is always good for the consumer. Me, I prefer Android because I like to tinker and flash roms.
9. funchumm1206 (Posts: 52; Member since: 04 Mar 2013)
Hopefully that "coming weeks" will not turn to 6 months
10. Sire3008 (Posts: 87; Member since: 26 Sep 2013)
Yeeeey..... Really need these fast.. Tired of third party instagram apps
11. julz17ronald (Posts: 45; Member since: 26 Apr 2013)
Good job Nokia! I am really excited in getting one of the new phones.
13. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8615; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I'm glad WP8/W8 is finally getting these apps, but damn that took way too long.
17. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1145; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
WP HAS DE APPPPPPPPPPPPPZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
18. dexter_jdr (Posts: 1145; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
everytime there is a nokia event that TROLL guy is hiding
19. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1100; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Windows phone 8 smart phones use a new OS their smart phones have been on the market
for about a year. I have a Nokia lumia 928 and i really am glad we are getting some new
21. potatosalad (Posts: 40; Member since: 07 May 2012)
1. can WP8 play videos formats other than MP4?
2. can it be save to phone storage / sd card (assuming you are downloading it via app)?
23. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 968; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
nokia is doing so much while microsoft aren't giving a single SH*T about developing wp
24. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2692; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Bring more & more & more apps like this.
Credo where are you my dear friend? Download all this apps. :)
25. londoner (Posts: 33; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
The reason am leaving my L920 is for one app...
When Grindr is coming to wp8?
27. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8615; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I think you should have kept that to yourself...
31. Ty_inCA (Posts: 10; Member since: 13 Oct 2013)
Seriously! I love my 1020, but the lack of that or jack'd is kinda a hassle. How hard can it be to port an app? Whichever shows up first will end up with 100% market share of young gay guys with WP.
41. londoner (Posts: 33; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
Yes, that's truht, a lot of my friends likes the wp8 style, far from this, there's just a few apps for gay people like scruff which needs to be upfated and Grindr that is not there. They will go for a wp if hose apps are on the market place.
It also, might help a lot of guys to get out...lol
33. jsdechavez (Posts: 708; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Suddenly, RT doesn't suck much anymore. Thanks much to Nokia.
37. Dastrix (Posts: 599; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Glad to hear that jsdechavez. You used to not like WP/Windows RT before. xD
40. Kishin (Posts: 617; Member since: 30 May 2013)
Forgot BBM!!!! does not really matter anyway