Windows Phone 8.1 allows you to pin websites with Live Tile support
3. bwhiting (Posts: 180; Member since: 15 Jun 2013)
That might be really weird to see a boob coming up on the screen when your friend wants to try and use it for an emergency call if they don't have their phone.
Priceless reaction though
18. Dastrix (unregistered)
Girlfriends be like... REJECTED!
2. Whodaboss (Posts: 176; Member since: 18 Nov 2011)
This is the Killer feature Widows Phone have and Android and iOS doesn't. :)
4. shuaibhere (Posts: 1759; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
I was about to comment the sane thing...but nothing is impossible in android..widgets can already do it.
31. jroc74 (Posts: 5245; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I feel more comfortable with people calling Android a copy of Symbian than iOS. Really.
8. wilsong17 (unregistered)
No we got live widget which can do more than live titles
12. fireblade (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
13. fireblade (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
17. Dastrix (unregistered)
Except it's static, and looks so ugly.
19. shuaibhere (Posts: 1759; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
It's not static..and gives more information than those silly tiles...
22. elitewolverine (Posts: 2745; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
While not static, i guess if i want a widget to take up my screen that is nice. Would like to see the widget about a 1/4 of that site. And it is a snapshot, or so it states, meaning is it a jpeg? how fast does it update.
27. jroc74 (Posts: 5245; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
This is already available on Android in some form....dont really know about iOS.
Seeing as how Win Mo had support for widgets before Android even came out....this is a no brainer.
29. jroc74 (Posts: 5245; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Not before Android came out but before Android became so popular....
I had widgets on my Omnia 1...Samsung Win Mo phone..
5. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3570; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
This is just one of many awesome features that are exclusive to WP.
9. shuaibhere (Posts: 1759; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Not exclusive....there are some widgets which can already do it in android...
14. fireblade (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
exclusive my as*
this has been in android for years. If you can't find it in stock android, just download the 3rd party apps in Play Store. This feature can even be found or is preinstalled in some ROMs/devices
23. elitewolverine (Posts: 2745; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
But that is just it, 3rd party, from the droid camp all we hear about ms 3rd party app ecosystem is it is bad since it is not the original or stock experience....yet when wp comes with something droid camp talks about roms (which can void warranty), or 3rd party apps.
I have used widgets like this on my note 3, decent works as expected.
28. jroc74 (Posts: 5245; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Android has had a News & Weather widget for awhile now.
6. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 934; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
Time for PhoneArena to add Live Tiles support
24. papss (unregistered)
16. refillable (Posts: 801; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
Great update by microsoft. By 2017, WP will overtook iOS as the second most popular Smartphone OS.
20. -box- (Posts: 3944; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I could pin websites to my Start Screen on 8, and I'll check my Lumia 900 to see if it worked in 7.8. I'll give this new option a whirl. Does PA work on it?
25. papss (unregistered)
That's true.. I've had a pa website pinned to my home screen since day one.. My guess is that pa never tried it.. They were busy bashing it
26. elitewolverine (Posts: 2745; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
PA can barely get their CSS/html coding to work on other browsers that dont have a mouse via 'proper' coding. If PA does....i will give them props.
30. jroc74 (Posts: 5245; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Those that wanna compare the Android way....there is a News and Weather widget. There is no need for specific websites to be compatible.
Was part of stock Android for awhile at least since 2.1 ...and has evolved over the years.
Good job by MS tho. Like I said earlier...since Win Mo had widgets...this should be nothing new for MS. Just part of why some of us looked at WP as a step back from Win Mo in functionality in some areas.
Its no surprise that the 8.1 update is bringing WP more in line with the other platforms...and its old platform. IMO some things missing from Win Mo should have been there on WP from day one.....not after a quick reboot of the OS.