Verizon system leak confirms the new Moto X name and bamboo in stores
1. Jinto (Posts: 414; Member since: 15 Jan 2014)
The new moto x,
wtf that is one crappy name
should have been Motorola Moto X+1 or
Motorola Moto X2
23. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 6505; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Probably to avoid confusion with the Motorola X. Still doesn't excuse the awful name.
28. VZWuser76 (Posts: 2677; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
Yeah, no one would ever use the old name and just put "the new" before it to differentiate it from a previous model.
Either way, this doesn't confirm that it'll be called "the new Moto X". The HTC Thunderbolt was shown to be the HTC Mecha in Verizon's system prior to launch. Since this phone isn't exclusive to Verizon, they may not know the official name yet, or they do but don't want the public to know the official name yet. Considering this is being leaked, it's very likely they're using misdirection to keep the official name under wraps until the official announcement.
33. tadaa (Posts: 267; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
as bad as the ipad 3 being named 'the new apple ipad'
21. spin9 (Posts: 199; Member since: 31 May 2014)
LOL i think it's Icon but we won't escape a Lumia Loon, that's for sure
26. JC557 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
LOL, it's Icon but that would be hilarious if there's a new Nokia coming out with the codename/ model name of Loon.
22. wyrishman (Posts: 39; Member since: 11 May 2014)
Naming it the X2 would be conflicting with the old Droid X2. I do agree though. "New Moto X" is not a great name. Hopefully there will be something more creative at launch.
32. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1151; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
tbh it's not as bad as the htc one (m7) htc one (mate)
2. Zomer (Posts: 125; Member since: 31 May 2013)
Omg it's the new iPad all over again. How hard is it.
Should i continue?
16. phantom_six_man (Posts: 82; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
they should name it X-men
6. karim77 (Posts: 70; Member since: 10 Dec 2012)
This name will confuse the sh*t out of people
7. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 382; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
Seriously if this is the name then Motorola are crazy, X+1 was bad too but I was warming up to it. How hard is it to name devices? Seriously. Moto X2 would have been perfect.
29. VZWuser76 (Posts: 2677; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
Which people (and internet searches) would confuse with the Droid X2. Even when searching Moto X you got a lot of Droid X results before more pages started showing up about the Moto X. The same thing happened with last year's Droid Maxx. Originally there was the Droid RAZR Maxx, and then the Droid RAZR Maxx HD. And I'd bet people searching for info on the original Droid RAZR Maxx got a lot of results for the newer HD version after it dropped. Then they dropped the RAZR and HD from the name for the third iteration, and for about a month you had a hard time finding info on the newer model. Even putting "-RAZR" in the search gave mixed results.
HTC ran into similar issues with their phones. They had the One X, then the One XL, then the HTC One M7, and now the One M8.
If they'd simply go by the model number instead of the name, it'd be easier, but the average customer doesn't want to remember a model number, and many articles and shopping sites don't use the model number, so it turns into a CF.
9. fzacek (Posts: 2465; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Would be nice if there was also a metal body option in Moto Maker...
10. Scott93274 (Posts: 2411; Member since: 06 Aug 2013)
It would also be nice if every other OEM out there gave customers the options that Motorola does.
12. needa (Posts: 199; Member since: 30 Jun 2014)
i posted this three months ago on the verge forums. just saying.
"The New Moto X'' with a slogan of "You'r Way, Anyway"
13. scarface21173 (Posts: 63; Member since: 17 Aug 2014)
Should of just been called MOTO X 2014 simple as that
15. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9826; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Or Moto X2 to show that it's the successor of the OG Moto X.
27. JC557 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Yup, it's not like Motorola hasn't done that before either: Motorola Droid X and Droid X2.
Now if only they would do a refresh of the Droid line with the slide-out keyboard.
30. VZWuser76 (Posts: 2677; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
They tried that with the Nexus 7, and the problem with that was if there was an article on the Nexus 7 2012 written in 2013, it'd be included in the search results.
17. na7noo7 (Posts: 278; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
Let's just call it Moto X2. I like having it the classic Fuse Joplin way.
18. phantom_six_man (Posts: 82; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
it was like the htc m8 that was called the new htc one,and now the new moto x,whats next?the new phone arena?lol
20. Taters (Posts: 4688; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
The ugly Moto X would work the best for consumer differentiation purposes but I highly doubt Moto would use that. Haha
24. jellmoo (Posts: 853; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
It's 2014, 16GB should not be the base storage for a flagship level device...
25. ldenningjr (Posts: 11; Member since: 20 Apr 2014)
@Jellmoo tell that to Samsung and apple...just to name a few
31. VZWuser76 (Posts: 2677; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
It's like all these phone manufacturers want it to be totally web based with almost no onboard storage. It works OK for Chromebooks since most ISPs don't give you an alotted amount of data, but in mobile carrier's case, it can get costly pretty quick relying on the cloud.