This iOS 9 concept video is full of great ideas Apple should seriously consider
1. theguy2345 (Posts: 1196; Member since: 24 Jun 2014)
I still can't believe IOS doesn't have a dark theme feature. WP has had this forever. It does save battery and isn't such an eyestrain to look at in the dark. Add in my opinion, looks much better overall
3. Settings (Posts: 1501; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
Stock Lollipop is white too. I really wish there would be a choice between light and dark theme.
6. buccob (Posts: 2522; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
It is not the same, but...
I configured Llama (automation app) to modify, besides brightness, my wallpaper according to the time of day...
I took a bunch of pictures of my frontyard view through the day and then set llama to change them according to the time... and it really helps when navigating at night, with a dark night landscape wallpaper... and it is sunny during the day. (and it is not battery draining like some live wallpapers)
12. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1386; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
A theme option will be nice. Like old Symbian feature.
16. Finalflash (Posts: 2795; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
There kind of is, they have a color inversion mode for easy reading and such.
24. engineer-1701d (Posts: 3271; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
most of these are in android now by oem or app or rom, this is what android people like and apple people did not want to much going on.
apple phones u get to open apps and buy gadgets for,
android phones u get to make it perfect for yourself and life easier
32. kristoferallen (Posts: 99; Member since: 23 Jun 2010)
Are you not familiar with jailbreak?
4. buccob (Posts: 2522; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
It only saves battery when it is used by an AMOLED display... Apple uses IPS LCDs so there is no battery saving simply by going black...
But it works on WP because most Nokia devices are AMOLED.
And I agree, it should be a standard feature for every mobile OS...
19. zacsaturday (Posts: 202; Member since: 09 May 2014)
Most Nokias are OLED based? didn't know that.
So now it is two OEM's (before Nokia got bought by Microsoft, that is) that use OLED based displays on almost all their phones.
(Samsung is the other, btw)
39. Leandrop (Posts: 10; Member since: 25 Nov 2012)
Nokia does not use OLED on most of its phones. They use IPS LCD but with Clearblack tech to make them look like AMOLED. Sometimes they do use AMOLED but not most of the times. For example, Lumia 520, 530, 535, 620, 625, 630, 720, 830, 920, 1320 and 1520 use IPS LCD displays. Lumia 730, 820, 925, 928, 930, 1020 use AMOLED displays.
8. Zomer (Posts: 262; Member since: 31 May 2013)
Amoled is capable of dimming pixels, while LCD needs a backlight. This means that LCD wont save any battery juice while it's displaying a black theme. It is also the reason that features like Glance (WP) en Ambient only work on AMOLED devices.
13. ManusImperceptus (Posts: 724; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
Glance work on all Lumia displays, LCD or Amoled, as long as the screen has display memory. It works best on Amoleds, of course, due to there being no backlight, but nevertheless... :-)
9. Liveitup (Posts: 1798; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
The problem is that Just like WP iOS has gone Flat you add the dark theme to iOS and it basically looks very similar to WP. If you have a WP use WP light theme and compare both iOS 7 or 8 next to WP . It looks like a strong imitation. The dark mode is more popular on WP iOS doing it will surely irk those at Redmond.
10. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1386; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Don't think that's really a problem at all. WP is not just a flat UI. It has square tiles, it's own fonts,a design language to apps etc etc etc. I don't get this concept of anything going flat is copy of WP's UI. IOS is full of grids of icons. They simply hammered their UI to flat. Merely a dark theme doesn't convert iOS UI into a WP UI.
22. Liveitup (Posts: 1798; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
It does matter , companies have sued each other in the past. Like you stated it would not look exactly like WP but it sharing too many design principles with Windows Phone is pushing it.
27. darkkjedii (Posts: 20087; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
They do its called gray scale. They also have an inverted them.
40. strudelz100 (Posts: 644; Member since: 20 Aug 2014)
Black saves no battery on LCD displays.
All iPhones use LCD displays.
2. vuyonc (Posts: 993; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
No Multiwindow or small apps? Come on the IP6 plus is slacking in sales relatively for a reason.
5. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 12054; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Right because the 6+ being sold out everywhere means sales are slacking.
11. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1386; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Still multi-window is a nice addition.
14. maherk (Posts: 3493; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Check the reports before you keep throwing the same nonsense on every article. The 6 is outselling the 6+ by a 6 to 1 margin, and the only reason it is sold out is simply because Apple focused more on producing the 6, same with what Samsung did with the Note 4 and Note Edge.
18. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 12054; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Why don't you learn to read? I didn't say the 6+ was outselling the 6. I said the 6+ is selling well on its own since so many places are sold out of it.
29. darkkjedii (Posts: 20087; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
It's by far the more popular of the two, which is why Apple shifted production more towards it. Jerk Maherk is wrong as usual.
31. vuyonc (Posts: 993; Member since: 24 Feb 2014)
Exactly. That's why I said "relatively". Apple saw the shift to the smaller iP6 in demand and thus focused production there. They picked up fairly quickly that the iP6+ was redundantly large. Didn't you read, Mxyzptlk?
15. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1386; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
I think Apple should borrow some features from competitors. It's not "copying". Everyone get inspired by each others. Don't get me wrong Apple got nice eco system and move implementation of features but sometimes it feels like Apple want it users to use their devices like the way they wanted and limits features(which is present on their competitors) and making sounds like they are "unnecessary".
20. zacsaturday (Posts: 202; Member since: 09 May 2014)
They have already copied the hell out of other manufactuors already. If they try and take material design (oh please, the video had Android L / Material Design all over it) I will be pissed, especially if hey add a name to it and makes everyone drool over it despite Android haing the aforementioned feature for awhile now.
23. Liveitup (Posts: 1798; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Material design , iOS Innsbruck both largely have been inspired by WP. Both iOS and Android may be better looking, lighter than before but as the article states they are also less original.
Its the nature of things though in general great ideas catch on, it sucks for WP though cause its nowhere as popular as the two larger OS it influenced.
30. darkkjedii (Posts: 20087; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Just as the others copied the hell outta Apple. The only thing they can't seem to copy is, Apples success.
25. engineer-1701d (Posts: 3271; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
it's sold out because they didn't make that many how stupid can u be, a store gets 10 stock a month if any
28. darkkjedii (Posts: 20087; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
The ip6+ is slacking in sales since when, and what fool gave that a green thumb?
7. ravivarma639 (Posts: 21; Member since: 15 Apr 2013)
Great ideas i love seeing this improvements in my iphone 6
21. abhishek2201 (Posts: 9; Member since: 21 Nov 2013)
Brilliant Ideas! Not just for iOS but for all future mobile devices. Something like Remote Fix would be a game changer in customer support for people who are not that great with smartphones.
Realistically speaking,I expect iOS 9 to be integrate Apple Pay and Apple Watch further. Those are places Apple will earn in future. Bloddy 700 billion already?
26. darkkjedii (Posts: 20087; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I love that Apple has been listening to the jailbreak community a little more lately. They come up with some good ideas. I'd say hire em.
33. rtheodory (Posts: 1; Member since: 27 Nov 2014)
hi this is ralph ! i really hope they hire me, i'm actually still 18 :) searching for a scholarship :/
35. darkkjedii (Posts: 20087; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Go for it, give us iOS users more goodies.
34. bolangtaba (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
just WoW. if ios 9 will be like that, just wow.
it may not have the same customizations as android, but that is a cool step forward.
36. sonisoe (Posts: 407; Member since: 06 May 2009)
apple isnt a company to take feedback. they're stubborn and always behind to adapt. thats just what they do, sit back, observe, put everything together, and come up with something extraordinary. yes they got lucky with the iphone, otherwise, they're lagging...
37. dimas (Posts: 1977; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)
What the artist is trying to say is that apple should put more features like Android.
41. NotBiased (Posts: 8; Member since: 20 Nov 2014)
nope he's not on 3G he's on airplane mode :/