The Nokia 3310 is in some ways better than the Samsung Galaxy S4, here's why
Nokia 3310 vs Samsung Galaxy S4
The Nokia 3310 was a rather simple device and its plastic panels could be replaced easily if cracked or damaged. Repairing the Samsung Galaxy S4, however, will require time, skill, and most importantly, lots of money.
The Nokia 3310 was built to last, and besides, there wasn't a whole lot on it that could break. The Samsung Galaxy S4, however, might suffer some serious damage only after a couple of drops, and that 5-inch screen is vulnerable to scratching and cracking.
3. Longer-lasting battery
If you buy a Samsung Galaxy S4, chances are that you'll be recharging its battery on a daily basis, or at least every other day, depending on how much you use it. The Nokia 3310, however, could last for days without needing a recharge. That was, of course, due to the fact that one couldn't really do a whole lot on it so it just stood on stand-by 95% of the time, but hey, when you needed to make a call, the humble 3310 was always ready.
The Samsung Galaxy S4 costs about $630 when bought without carrier subsidy. That's quite more than what the Nokia 3310 was priced at launch even after you throw inflation into the equation. Today, a second-hand unit can probably be bought on eBay for about $20.
5. Usability outdoors
The Super AMOLED screen on the Samsung Galaxy S4 is amazing, but it doesn't look as good if the sun is shining straight at it. The Nokia 3310, however, with its monochrome LCD display, could be used just fine under the sun's scorching rays.
6. Ringtone loudness
Okay, we do admit that the loudspeaker on the Galaxy S4 is loud enough so you can easily hear it when it is ringing. However, the monophonic ringtones on the Nokia 3310, composed of simple square audio waves, could be heard from a further distance.
7. Ringtone composer
The Nokia 3310 had a built-in tool allowing one to compose their own ringtone. Up to five of these could be saved onto the device. The Samsung Galaxy S4 doesn't have that, but at least it lets you set a song stored onto the device as a ringtone.
8. Pre-installed games
The Nokia 3310 came with four games out of the box: Pairs II, Space Impact, Bantumi, and the hugely popular Snake II. The Samsung Galaxy S4 may support tons of awesome games, yet not a single one comes pre-loaded.
9. Faster emergency calls
To dial 911, 112, or any local emergency number, one could just start typing straight from the lock screen. In other words, it took four presses of a button to call for emergency. On the Galaxy S4 you have to unlock the lock screen, open the phone app, open the dialer, and then type the emergency number you want to dial. Sure, it takes just 10 more seconds or so, but these 10 seconds may make a difference in extreme cases.
19. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
No way we can compare Nokia 3310 with any phone. Its the hulk, undisputed king in durability.
64. Jack58221 (Posts: 122; Member since: 23 Feb 2013)
I will put my old nokia 252 up against this thing. I've dropped it in a lake, dried it out and 2 days later it started working again... it also fell out of my truck into a puddle and froze, the next day I found it and busted it out with an ice pick. cracked the screen with the pick but phone worked fine.
21. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3880; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Such a cheese article, yes it's better because you can actually throw it & it will still work because ALL IT DOES is make calls.
Try to edit a spread sheet on that, then tell me then how much better it is than a Samsung Galaxy S4.
Man phones REALLY have come a long way! lol
80. Indydi (Posts: 5; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Ummm, no, he's being objective. This article is ridiculous.
78. Dave_Granger (Posts: 7; Member since: 16 Nov 2012)
Nope, it sends texts too. And plays Snake.
55. Anymal (Posts: 5; Member since: 22 Feb 2009)
nonsense, my NoteII longs for 6 days on regular usage
72. janjhel1907 (Posts: 11; Member since: 21 Jun 2013)
wow!! what battery do you use? duracell? energizer? or motolite? whahaha funny, or maybe your regular usage is just texting twice a day then stand by the whole day whahhaha
67. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 271; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
This article is pointless. You could do this for any device in any form of technology. One thing is never better than something in everything.
2. pradeepreddy (Posts: 42; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
i think it beats almost all current day smart phones in above all comparisons or at least couple of them.
24. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
I can't wait to buy this phone!! :)
bring it on NOKIA!!
38. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5258; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Bring it on? It was discontinued long time ago! If you really want it, try eBay or Amazon, I believe they're still selling this son of a hulk. Good luck.
3. PunyPoop (Posts: 714; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
"A Nokia 3310, however, isn't as valuable so it won't attract a thief's prying eyes."
Chances are,the thief will give you money to buy a much higher or the thief will throw it back to you.. LOL
46. icyrock1 (Posts: 303; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
And when they throw it the ground break under the phone.
56. pixelado (Posts: 130; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
holly! gotta be careful, a nokia thrown at your head could result in severe brain damage, or death!
4. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5258; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
This is the best article I've ever read in PhoneArena, thank you Nick!
Nokia 3310 rocks!
5. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
The nokia 3310 can be used in zombie apocalypse, Galaxy S4? Hmm, Useless
17. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5258; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Lol Just kidding bro, take it easy! I forgot to type the word "lol", sorry about that! This article makes me happy.
20. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
this ain't a bb article, You do realize that eh?
96. jacksmith (Posts: 1; Member since: 14 Oct 2013)
The only phone that will work during a zombie apocalypse will be a tin can. 3310 will work for a week though you could probably get a month out of it by switching it on on a need to use basis. Though don't know how long the cell towers will work or how long electricity will work with no one manning their stations.
6. iamfury (Posts: 59; Member since: 07 Oct 2012)
aaahhhhh the phone that can never be surpassed :p
33. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
87. Hassan420i (Posts: 23; Member since: 23 Jun 2013)
hahahaha this is really awsome... F*** YEAH... :D
7. protozeloz (Posts: 5372; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Is it April fools? Or are you happy to see me?
8. taikucing (unregistered)
the best nokia ever LOL
11. roldefol (Posts: 2859; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I wish I still had my Nokia 1260, if for no other reason than self-defense.
15. wando77 (Posts: 269; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
It only takes 5 presses to do an emergency call on a galaxy phone actually
31. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
disadvantage of an on-screen keyoboard and lockscreens. It took 2 steeps to call emergency on 3310 (and other keyboard phones). You press user-definied button and then click on the green one. Voila)
But whacking zombies with this Nokia would be much more effective than using S IV. That's for sure
16. wayne (Posts: 2; Member since: 24 Jun 2013)
Nick T. be my guest and use nokia 3310 if it's that much better.
29. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
for sure that...
they will never use it...XD
51. Nick_T (Posts: 144; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Haha, I'd rather suffer with my Nexus 4. A Nokia 3310 would be a great back-up phone though - just throw it in the glove box in case it is needed. By the way, I saw it on sale a few months ago - a brand new Nokia 3310 it in a big box retail store. It was 100 euro ($133).
18. Rorschach (Posts: 37; Member since: 26 Apr 2013)
interesting facts phone arena!
as seen above, this phone is sturdy and very simple to use, thus making it the ideal device for cave men, the slow or absent minded, and those with poor hand eye coordination. otherwise, please disregard this nonsense and get a galaxy s4.
22. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
..... you have a poor sense of humour
23. BraggingBob (Posts: 24; Member since: 17 May 2013)
My pet rock is durable but it doesn't do anything.
25. poping (unregistered)
"that thing last for days on a single charge" to do what? lol.....
30. SonyXperiaNexus (Posts: 374; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
to do what phones are supposed to do...make calls and send texts, and also play snakes and space impact, awesome games.
27. Dastrix (Posts: 577; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Smartphones got nothin' on the 3310. What a BEAST!!! :)
28. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
why are you comparing just the S4 to a Nokia 3310?? The 3310 was good phone and you do make good point but its not just the S4 that fails against the 3310. All other modern day smartphones have the same short comings as the S4. I thought phone arena was unbiased?
75. tashreef (Posts: 476; Member since: 24 Nov 2012)
They are comparing "Great to the Greatest ", If you are Fansung than you should be happy to see this : )
34. Daftama (Posts: 563; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Wow I know for sure phone arena is biased stupid icrap fans anyway we love it keep hating the more you hate the more will grow hahaha
40. roldefol (Posts: 2859; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
That's totally how I read the headline! The Nokia iPhone beats the S4!
35. _Bone_ (Posts: 2110; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Haha, the haters dream phone. I used to own it, quality device.
37. Sondae (Posts: 185; Member since: 02 Jan 2013)
Bring back the memory where i have this as my first phone. The only game to be addicted snake game lol...
39. VJo003 (Posts: 322; Member since: 11 Mar 2012)
Thats a good start for the week :-D
42. Jason2k13 (Posts: 639; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
funny news, but to be realistic if i were to use my S4 like a nokia 3310, wifi off, 3g/4g off, all features off it would probably last me almost 1 week with my daily usage.
It also doesn't take 4 steps to call emergency: open lockscreen>>press emergency>> dial... so it probably takes around 5 seconds.
59. pixelado (Posts: 130; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
Setting your CPU to use one core at 100mhz would also help ;)