Sony sells 8.7 million smartphones last quarter, forecasts yearly profit
73. Dacha (Posts: 12; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
It is not a loss. Sony made a profit of about $ 550 million.
2. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
I want my short battery life TFT screen Xperia Z already as I can't wait to play with my $800 gadget in the bathtub, which is very cool.
12. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
how do you know about the battery life??
18. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
This review claims 4-4,5 hours of intensive usage, based on the release 4.1.2 SW and obviously the release HW. They say both the screen and the HW eats huge amount of juice, and energy saving mode only usable when it doesn't eat up too much energy anyway.
The biggest issue this year will be battery life. After the Note II and MAXX HD reached impressive results, we're going back to the daily worry. The S4 Pro @ 5"FHD would require at least 3000mAh for comfortable daily usage where the A15s may need even more, there's so much software tweaks can do.
Rumors say Samsung is struggling even with the energy-friendly SAMOLED & Exynos Octa on board. To be honest, no CPU clock speed should come over 1,2GHz, a little amount of extra performance comes with huge energy sacrifice, and these newer products push toward 2GHz which is serious overkill.
A15 architecture handles absolutely everything lag free even at 1,2GHz. People will be underclocking like crazy this year.
20. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
please leave a source in English. i could understand nothing.
23. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
I'm the source in English. It's a trustworthy site (why they get early review units), just translated their battery impressions.
45. wendygarett (unregistered)
Funny the final device has not released... I assume that's a prototype :)
52. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
It's funny now, but you won't find as much joy in it when you'll go charging it twice a day.
53. wendygarett (unregistered)
Then go get your oppo device dude lol
57. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
I might, better screen, battery life and price point, but better yet is waiting for something like an A15 Nexus 5. Good luck hoping that ignoring issues with a device will magically make them go away lol.
61. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
What does your comment have to do with his prototype assumption...?
67. abhishek48 (Posts: 164; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
Use google chrome to translate in english
55. jroc74 (Posts: 5980; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
"To be honest, no CPU clock speed should come over 1,2GHz, a little amount of extra performance comes with huge energy sacrifice, and these newer products push toward 2GHz which is serious overkill."
I kinda agree with this. I have a phone running at 1.2....and it was no difference running it at 1. I have yet to have a phone running at 2Ghz. I would want it lower just for better battery life.
I have another phone running at 1.5....and the person using it compains about battery life daily. If I keep it I will finally root it and underclock it to see if it helps.
I said kinda agree because it depends on what ppl use their phones for. If it has a laptop dock like some Moto phones....thats different. Or using a Citrix type software, remote desktop......you might need the extra power. Might...
64. Aaron_R96 (Posts: 198; Member since: 22 Jan 2012)
Chances are your average everyday consumer is not gonna use it for 'intensive usage' and what does your source state that intensive usage is, constant gaming, video? In which case 4.5h intensive usage is impressive, and with non-intensive usage your looking at about 20ish hours of battery life, which, is more than a hell of a lot of phones out there currently.. You're argument is void.
Also on a side note, the 'octa' chip is overhyped, all it is is 2 quad core chips, one A15 and one A7 which can only be exclusively used and clocked the same, 8 cores won't necessarily speed things up i'm afraid, it's just for marketing purposes..
3. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
The question is , will Sony overtake Samsung in the mobile space ?
I mean Sony handsets are just as good if not better than sammys
5. pankajgupta (Posts: 59; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Sony May or may not overtake Samsung in numbers but in Quality and Performance Sony is way ahead of Samsung.
Samsung is no where near Sony Experience in smartphones in build quality as well as looks and feel.
21. Mittal (Posts: 493; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
I generally like SONY designs, and their interface is also quite polished compared to other droids
But software wise Sammy fones r quite well optimised
And starting the Nature UX, even the look and feel on Samsung has become great
So i would not say that Sammy fones are 'nowhere near' the Sony experience
71. oister85 (Posts: 471; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Tell me pankajgupta what sony device you owned.
76. pankajgupta (Posts: 59; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
I own Xperia Pro and have extensively used Xperia S, Xperia Miro, Xperia U, Xperia P.
Samsung's i have used lower end Galaxy Y, Galaxy Fit, and also Galaxy S, Galaxy S2, Galaxy Note, Galaxy S3.
78. oister85 (Posts: 471; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Yes sony is really good at design, hardware, but thier need to work in the software part. I have the sony tablet s, xperia tablet s walkman z those three products are well built but in the software part are bad. Sony needs to step up if they want to compete with samsung.
7. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
its just a year that Sony is independent in mobile production, but i think it is doing a pretty good job. they can make lots of problems for Sammy and IPhone.
26. Mittal (Posts: 493; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
I think the correct objective right now would be to become the default choice after Samsung
There is a section of users who swear by the SONY experience. Sony needs to expand that section and place itself in a position where people think of SONY as the default choice if they are not interested in ..lets say the GS4 or Note 3 (im talking of the larger consumer base here)
Sony first needs to distance itself enough from HTC (I love HTC), Moto and LG
22. sats.mine2k4 (banned) (Posts: 208; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
Just release the Z , ZL like now and sony will win... Samsung GS4 is round the corner...BEWARE
27. nikenturd (unregistered)
SONY is soo yesterday....they think they can still sell well by commanding a high price to their products....you had a good run Sony
30. wendygarett (unregistered)
Umm the Xperia s still popular and eye catching too you know...
49. Mittal (Posts: 493; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
i personally hated the NXT designs. Xperia T and Z have been steps in good direction
35. n4n0Br4in (Posts: 10; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
SONY is not yesterday. Their products is quality and can compete with the top. But, I agree with you, the price is sometimes too high...
40. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
i think you don't know anything about Sony or you're a fanboy. Sony's devices are all up to date and it has great phones in every level. about the price: would you please tell me which device is expensive?? look at the post regarding HTC M7 which says its price will be 650 euro while SXZ is about 600 euro with the same specs. so please stop fanboism.
51. Mittal (Posts: 493; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
you know what happened with the ion ?
1) it was launched late
2) it launched with a dual core Scorpion (!) processor when quad core devices were being offered in comparable price category. You might say that scorpion or Krait or quad core doesnt matter as long as the sw is well optimised and it handles things with ease. That logic will hold good when u compare Krait and Quads, but S3 (scorpion) is not acceptable! And that S3 processor was a battery enemy compared to the efficiency of a Krait one
How convenient it is to procure a cheaper old processor and stuff it into a device which will retail for the same price as the latest quads !
66. abhishek48 (Posts: 164; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
Biggest joke of the year... Sony devies ar enot late hahahahah.... HTC and LG have already released phone with snapdragon s4 pro 2 months ago... and Xperia Z is yet to release...
Sony never had a phone with latest processor.. or even display..
they are always late no one buys sony in US at all.. I have not seen Sony seriously is late in US.
Now why shouldn't I wait just 1 month for M7, g2 or s4..?
I would have bought it over my DNa if it would have released in december.. TOO LATE
74. pyradark (Posts: 821; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
yeah Sony is always LATE, but how come they are 3rd best selling smartphone overtake HTC and LG...
its not all about the specs you know that
72. oister85 (Posts: 471; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Not all devices are up to date
Xperia tablet s
tablet s. those products need update right away
31. erdpov (Posts: 67; Member since: 07 Dec 2012)
How dare you say that sony will beat sammy by releasing just one good looking phone. S4 is not a phone, but a hard work and a big name created by 3 generations of superb smartphone. At first Sony needs to improve their sucking screens and UI. Sammy is not going to give up that easily.
41. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
wow, what a gentle Samboy we have here. i think you're afraid of Sony. at least your comment shows this.
63. rickysam (Posts: 44; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
sucking screens and ui!!!! man its all upto personal prference.i never found anything better with the screen of s2 s3 and even one x than xperia s i prefer xperia over others
36. AshishRomea (Posts: 145; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
That means with 34 MILLION SMARTPHONES after Q4 , SONY WILL BE WORLD NO3 for 2012!
38. AshishRomea (Posts: 145; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
its all about "XPERIA Z" can anyone stop this Z MANIA ? its like STEVE JOBS REVOLUTIONED DESIGN WITH IMAC IN 1998
47. timtimity (Posts: 196; Member since: 13 Aug 2012)
I can't wait to see what score PA give the Z. Stuff Magazine have reviewed it and they think it's currently the best smartphone on the market.http://www.stuff.tv/review/son
65. abhishek48 (Posts: 164; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
It is not released yet, so its not on the market, Best right now is Droid dna or Butterfly, when it releases in march.. Optimus g2, galaxy s4 HTC M7 will crush it... sony never had a phone ever released in market which was best for even a month.
Gs2- best for 1 yr
gs3 bet for 4 months
IPhone 5 best for 1 month lol
DNA nest for 2.5 months so far.
70. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
and you have nothing to say except " Sony is always late". you troll.
75. pyradark (Posts: 821; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Always Late but 3rd on Smart Phone
58. fbermudez86 (Posts: 6; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
Many people complain about Sony Updates, but they are going to release the 4.1.2 update using 3.4 kernel. (They already released the update for Xperia T and V) S3 has 3.0.
59. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Very nice sony just release your xperia z on every carrier youre profits will soar. &to cant wait too buy my xperia z
60. ladda8677 (Posts: 4; Member since: 21 Dec 2011)
just waiting for xperia z to take shower with me
69. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
And Alan's earlier article pegged Sony making a "negative" profit right? yea i say negative profit because there he claimed that Samsung+Apple made 103% profits. Now this article tells a different story.
77. Nevada (Posts: 13; Member since: 09 Feb 2013)
The link what is mentioned by Bone user is true, but he does not mention of course that it was a freshly unpacked unit, my sola needed a few weeks too to reach the maximum capacity of standby. Also the guys said that the display is quite fantastic but the viewing angles are a bit blurry, question, who's using their phones sideways? Bone is just trolling. Besides that page he mentioned is far by trustable.