Sony confirms delay in U.K. of SIM-free Sony Xperia Z2; phone won't be available until May
Sony did not give a reason for the delay, although earlier rumors suggested that the Japanese manufacturer was having trouble with one of its suppliers. A member of the Esato forum boards had posted earlier in March that the Sony Xperia Z2 would be delayed to late April/early May.
U.K. phone retailer Clove says that it will continue to take pre-orders for the phone, and that those who previously reserved a unit will not lose their place on line. Additionally, it will continue to offer the free wireless speaker & noise-cancelling headphones bundle. That deal was supposed to end by the end of April. Clove says that as long as Sony continues to offer the bundle, it will pass it along to those who pre-order the Xperia Z2.
4. neops (Posts: 209; Member since: 28 Jan 2014)
Serve the carriers first and consumers next.
Late last year they said "we will release early, first quarter".
Then, after surveys that said 2014 flagships' prices may fall by 25% within 3 months,
with a bunch of excuses they delay them to keep prices high in older and upcoming ones.
27. boosook (Posts: 1129; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
What's the problem? The good thing with Sony is that you can always get the previous flagship, which is usually only 6 to 12 nonths old, for a very good price! ;)
9. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9070; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I called it. I knew the phone was going to get delayed. Mass producing the phone isn't easy for a high demand.
26. Fynjy777 (Posts: 28; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
Nope. Believe me, Sony fans will wait a little bit and will get their best smartphones from Sony. It's really sad for those, who will not wait and will take inferior smartphones like Galaxy S5 or new HTC One.
3. Android89 (Posts: 19; Member since: 20 Apr 2013)
That is peek for Z2 customers in the uk, phone looks really good. I hope they still have a display model for me to see
5. TheGoat (Posts: 18; Member since: 03 Mar 2014)
That's really bad. Especially considering the fact that Sony releases a flagship every 6 months.
16. Android89 (Posts: 19; Member since: 20 Apr 2013)
This, that means within say 4 months the z3 will be coming oh dear
7. lagdroid (banned) (Posts: 15; Member since: 28 Mar 2014)
Sony u are slow in software updates, now also slow in providing handset.
28. Adrian38 (Posts: 139; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
They may not be the fastest at providing software updates, but other than the Nexus line, Sony devices get the most software updates. Xperia Z launched on 4.1 and has gotten 4.2, 4.3 and is gonna get 4.4. Along with MANY other small updates. No one else even comes close.
12. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3384; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
So you rather get an inferior handset than wait a little? But yeah this delay is horrible for Sony.
29. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1607; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
At this point might as well wait for the Z3.... I did use one of my line's upgrade to get a HTC One. Now I'm hoping my cousin in Taiwan can find me a z2 but it's hard to get since the high demand.
10. Abinav (Posts: 8; Member since: 29 Jun 2013)
With the launch of HTC one m8,the delay is not good for sony .
11. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2015; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
I hope this delay, because the adding a 32GB internal memory
14. PANIC (Posts: 46; Member since: 06 Mar 2014)
Its not the end of the world guys...Personally its Better to wait for Z2 than to get a plastic toy again...I have had enough....never again... Why have Cotton when I can have Silk...Z2
17. Android89 (Posts: 19; Member since: 20 Apr 2013)
I held the s5 today it actually feels very good better than s4/note 3 imo
15. lightforce1911 (Posts: 3; Member since: 27 Mar 2014)
Thats uk imagine usa. Sony has no shot here anymore.
19. jb4674 (Posts: 141; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
It's a really bad move for Sony, considering they are releasing flagship phones every six months (according to their past m.o.).
By the time the Z2 is fully released worldwide, the Z3 will be announced.......
20. TMach (Posts: 394; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
I had pre-ordered this beast from Clove UK, however, order now cancelled and bagged myself the HTC One (M8) instead from Carphonewarehouse! Sony, just when I thought you'd got your act together, having relased all phones since the Xperia T on time. Seems you've not learned from HTC's mistake with the One last year!
21. vijaysivakula (Posts: 171; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)
Because Samsung released the Galaxy S5 with their dumb Adonis processor I have decided to stop buying Samsung anymore. I am waiting for this Z2 so I can buy it or decide between this and a Nexus 5.
Not going to buy anything Samsung as long as they dont offer Snapdragon and keep everything open on their mobiles.
22. galanoth (Posts: 346; Member since: 26 Nov 2011)
Adonis? God of beauty and desire?
I want one of those in my phone.
24. vijaysivakula (Posts: 171; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)
Your wish. You will not get the source code or the drivers from Samsung. Nobody will be able to make custom roms for that device. Samsung support will die after maybe 2 updates.
And you are stuck with that device being limited even incapacitated.
Or you could be one of those who believes in buying new mobiles every quarter or 6 months and contributes to the wonderful pile of e-waste polluting this only planet that we have.
23. aayupanday (Posts: 531; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Around the same time LG will announce the G3 with snapdragon 805.
25. Odiin (Posts: 321; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
Sony finally when everything seems to fine with you, now this?
May? then what about Z3? there is no much time gap, n If UK will getting in May then what about US?