Samsung returning to PowerVR GPU for Samsung Galaxy S IV?
every iOS device since day one and the 544 on the Exynos 5 Octa is similar to the 543 used on the A5 and A5X with some changes. Currently, Apple uses the PowerVR SGX 543 MP3 with its A6 used on the Apple iPhone 5. And as if Samsung and Apple needed to continue to butter each others' bread, Apple owns 10% of Imagination Technologies, the company behind PowerVR. Which means that Samsung had to believe that the difference in performance was worth doing business with a company used and partially owned by (even if it just 10%) its number one rival.
While the Samsung Galaxy S IV is still a few months away with May now the frontrunner to be the month of launch, it could very well include the Samsung Exynos Octa under the hood. If so, that would mean it would be the first Samsung flagship Android model since the OG Samsung Galaxy S to use PowerVR to handle the heavy graphics lifting.
source: AnandTech via AndroidAuthority
1. pokharkarsaga (Posts: 365; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Dream will come true.Power VR >ARM Mali >adreno.
3. Hunt3rj2 (Posts: 396; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
Except, you know. ARM Mali and Adreno have been basically neck and neck for a while now.
18. sid07desai (Posts: 288; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Tegra 4 >>>>>>>>> Power VR. Others are negligible compared to T4.
21. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
T4 probably hits about 70GFLOPS.
It's comparable to Mali 604.
The Rogue series and upcoming Mali GPU's are much more powerful
36. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 166; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
SGX544MP3 at 533MHz will be more powerful than the 250MHz clocked SGX554MP4. You have 3 cores which are 2x less powerful but run at more than double the frequency compared to the 544. I expect better results. Tegra 4 is gonna be a sucker again.
20. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Mali t-658 >> SGX 554MP3
I seriously hope Samsung will not go for such relatively architecture GPU.
Rogue (series 6) would be the s**t, but not this
2. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1421; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
powerVR will make this a beast ,beating Apple at its own GPU
4. Hunt3rj2 (Posts: 396; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
No one ever said PowerVR was Apple's GPU, PowerVR licenses their GPUs to anyone willing to pay.
5. jroc74 (Posts: 5245; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
The PowerVR is a beast of a gpu. The fact that Apple uses it exclusively means any iOS ports to Android will run better on phones that have a PowerVR, in theory.
Angry Birds had lil issues on Motorola phones when it first came to Android. It ran better on a Droid 1 vs an HTC Incredbile, EVO. The Incredible and EVO had better specs....and different gpus.
6. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 807; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Which one is superior anyway? Imagination's PowerVRs or a ARM's Mali?
10. jroc74 (Posts: 5245; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Depends on who you ask and what you want.
I would choose either over Adreno. I would choose PowerVR just for possible easier compability with iOS ports. I try to stay out of the benchmarks pissing contests now...so I cant comment from that perspective.....lol.
19. sid07desai (Posts: 288; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Currently, the facts suggest the Tegra 4 might be best gpu out there. With 72 cores.
35. serge327 (Posts: 47; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
But dont forget PowerVR will out 6 series... i think the strongest performance in the market when 6 series arrived.. But the PowerVR 554 is strong enough.. hope samsung will use it with 4 core 544 :)
*sorry for my bad english
8. Atrixboyyy (Posts: 278; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Waiting till I hear a release date for the at&t version or I'm selling my gs3 in late April. Exynos Octa+ is what I'll call this monster combo
9. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 880; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
iPhone 5 uses the PowerVR SGX 543MP3 in its A6, the iPad 4 uses A6X with PowerVR SGX 554 MP4, corrections need to be made in this article!
11. datsyuk (Posts: 177; Member since: 11 Jan 2012)
Beat me to it. I really hope this is true though. When it comes to Android the Exynos chips were always my favorite because Mali IMO had the best GPU choice that phones were using but PowerVR is the very best IMO.
13. serge327 (Posts: 47; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
If Samsung Exynos really use PowerVR GPU.. i will wait S4/N3, if not, i will go for SONY Xperia Z XD
14. Equilibrium (Posts: 18; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
"Currently, Apple uses the PowerVR SGX 554 MP4 with its A6X used on the Apple iPhone 5"
I thought that it was used in the iPad 4 and that the iPhone 5 uses the PowerVR SGX 553 MP3?
Also the iPhone 5 uses the A6 processor NOT the A6X:)
22. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1225; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
Nearly right but for one number, the iphone 5 uses the iPhone 5 uses the PowerVR SGX 543 MP3.
It has been corrected in the article.
15. ama3654 (Posts: 252; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
Maybe its for the TIZEN device cos Intel owns 16.02 percent of imagination technologies
16. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
Power VR actually performs well samsung may consider it.
17. ama3654 (Posts: 252; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
its gonna be running twice the frequency of iphone 5 at 533 mhz instead of 266 mhz on the iphone 5, and iphone 5 uses powervr 543 mp3 while this is 544 mp3
24. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1225; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
I suspect that Anand did a mistake in his calculations and the iphone 5 GPU (543MP3) is actually running at 333 MHz, so performance won't be double but 66% higher with the new GPU.
We'll see if I'm right when the first benchmarks go out.
23. uvaman (Posts: 21; Member since: 14 Jan 2013)
Hmm if S4 will use Octa then we will have Mali... From CES keynote and from the presentation we could see the pictures
of Mali T-604 and Mali T-658 which is compatible with Octa and paired.
Also this confirmation can be seen on arm page too.
If S4 wont get Octa then its possible.
25. _Bone_ (Posts: 2146; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
What is the GPU in the iPad 4 and where could the 544 possibly perform compared to that beast?
31. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4154; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
iPad 4 uses the PowerVR SGX554MP4. It's compared in the picture in the article. The last GPU listed in the picture is the one sued in the iPad 4.
27. kamejoko (Posts: 123; Member since: 10 Nov 2011)
I don't believe. ARM said "T658 is best for biglittle".
28. uvaman (Posts: 21; Member since: 14 Jan 2013)
Agree :) As I mention above too. There is all details and infos that Octa will use Mali... So this is pure speculation
30. rickywinataa (Posts: 262; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
well, as much as T-658 is the best for big little, samsung probably want to compete with apple in terms of gpu and it will be easier to port apps with same gpu manufacturer.
or, samsung also want to play in a part where their GPU is the beast of their devices
32. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4154; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Why would Samsung compete with Apple in GPU power with a less powerful GPU than the one Apple is using right now? Especially when Apple is going to use something better when they announce the iPad 5. It makes no sense, unless they intend to put as many cores as they can with it and clock it insanely high, they aren't competing at all.
33. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
And as for "porting " of games to Android, well that's just nonsense.
Big game developers are releasing titles with a few weeks delay between platforms now days, or even simultaneously. This means titles were developed with Android in mind from the ground up.
All that matters in terms of the expected game quality is how much significant a certain hardware configuration the game is built for, is - for example the Mali 400 Exynos 4412 one is more significant than any iPad configuration actually, because it's found in more than 40 million devices.
I can say that my international S3 runs all games I've loaded so far absolutely smooth and issue free, and in top quality.
N.O.V.A.3, GTA vice city, NFS MW, Modern Combat 4 etc are not in any way inferior to their iOS counterparts.
All the people I see complaining about issues with these Android games are having other configuration
34. ahomad (Posts: 168; Member since: 15 May 2012)
series 6> T-685> series 5 (544)
I think Samsung is making the wrong decision. they need either to go with series 6 or just stick with T-658. serious 5 is quite old and there will be some compatibility issue with new games especially the S4 will be release in couple of months.
37. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 166; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
So what if it's old, beats the hell out of all the GPUs other manufacturers can churn out.