Samsung officials confirm 5.9-inch Note III will come at IFA in September, Galaxy S4 to hit 10 million sales next week
And while we have already heard the Galaxy S4 would soon hit the 10 million sold devices threshold, we now have the official confirmation from Samsung chief executive JK Shin.
“We are confident that we will pass more than 10 million sales of the S4 next week. It is selling much faster than the previous model S3,” Samsung Electronics co-CEO Shin Jong-kyun said at an industry forum.
While many have pointed out its plastic build as a flaw, this is not stopping the GS4 from becoming the fastest selling Samsung device. Samsung has not just built an extremely powerful device with the Galaxy S4 - it is also pouring down massive marketing dollars to push its sales. The S4 launched on April 27th across the globe and is now sold in 60 countries.
“Samsung spent 50 days to pass the 10 million sales mark for the S3. The S4 will be Samsung’s first '10 million seller’ device less than a month after its official debut,” Shin added.
Along with this great news comes a slight disappointment as Samsung’s chief executive also confirmed the Note III won’t feature a flexible screen. We’ve already heard this in rumors, so it’s not a huge surprise.
“More time will be needed,” Shin explained. Samsung will debut Note III with a 5.9-inch OLED screen at IFA in Germany in September. Rumors say the third-generation tablet will be built in the same design language as the Galaxy S4 - glazed polycarbonate plastic with a dotted back pattern.
Samsung grabbed 95% of profits in the Android ecosystem in the first quarter of the year, and its name has become synonymous with Google’s platform. Actually analysts believe Samsung makes more profits and revenue off Android than its creators from Google.
source: Korea Times via Android Beat
The new Samsung Galaxy Note III is expected to look like a bigger Galaxy S4 (pictured above).
1. papss (unregistered)
I was really hoping to see the flexible screen tech out in public this year.
22. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 702; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
it think note series ll remain non flexible ..... flexible ll be called some thing else
34. sapibuntinx (Posts: 50; Member since: 08 May 2013)
wow 5.9 inch is larger than S4, they should make 3840 x 2160 px resolution... and next year, note 4 would 6.4 inch with 7680 x 4320 px... lol....
58. poopApple (banned) (Posts: 38; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
note 2 was perfect...but if the screen size reaches 5.9 inches then they should offer COMPATIBLE CLOTHES with it...lol
76. AamirSIII (banned) (Posts: 187; Member since: 04 Oct 2012)
how about minimizing the bezel even lower than S4?
96. dmckay12 (Posts: 243; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
I worked out the math on 5.8, 5.9, and 6.0 in possible note III screens and compared it to current note II screen and body dimensions and found that to keep the same size body as the already huge Note II, the aspect ratio would have to be made taller/wider and thinner, the capacitive/solid buttons would have to e done away with, the earpiece thinned, the front camera would have to hug the top of the phone (making it more prone to shattering), and a programming solution would be needed to lock out accidental touches on the side of the screen due to the practically bezel-less sides.
62. archangel9 (Posts: 230; Member since: 07 Feb 2010)
6.4 inches will be for the Galaxy Mega line
72. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
2k would destroy the gpu. Not even a high end desktop card can run a game at 2k and no have problems with some of them.
74. sapibuntinx (Posts: 50; Member since: 08 May 2013)
oh come on guys, my point is, stick with their current size, 5.5" is already big enough... it's like putting a shoe in your ear when making a phone call with this 5.9" BS...
S4 is already a big phone with 4.9", and now come this 6.9"... omg omg...
75. atsamman (Posts: 73; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Note 1 : 5.3
Note 2 : 5.5
Note 3 : 5.9
So in 5 years when the 21 inch note 8 comes just what kinds of pants should we expect to see
47. akki20892 (Posts: 3291; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
flexible screen is useless when device is not flexible, but flexible screen is useful when device is flexible.
49. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Unbreakable is the point of giving a flexible display for now..
A true flexible device is still unreachable
57. akki20892 (Posts: 3291; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
check on youtube: nokia flxible device in nokia world 2011
88. iushnt (Posts: 609; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
i have already seen ces 2012 flexible prototype of samsung and i already got the idea. Other's part doesn't need to be flexible..if you still think other parts need to be flexible then see this video from samsung. watch?v=YbONZTFjopc
52. polrt (banned) (Posts: 73; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
But this device will have a cheap flexible plastic, so it's not so bad!
67. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1619; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
its either sammy or LG who can make flexible screens viable at the moment and in my eyes whoever gets there first will be the future leader of android so im sure there both working on it very much!
84. zacharynasty (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 May 2013)
i heard LG is guna put out a flexible phone this year
2. hung2900 (Posts: 776; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
OMG 5.9 inch. I love Note series very much but my current jeans are screaming. I am not afraid about the width, but the length...
Maybe I need to buy new ones
9. ajac09 (Posts: 1358; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
dont wear skinny girl jeans? I can put a 7 inch tablet in my pocket so no worries.. now larger then that can be an issue
61. 1ceTr0n (Posts: 503; Member since: 20 May 2012)
Yeah, don't wear emo tight ass jeans and your fine, I can pocket my Note 2 in my "normal" clothes just fine.
63. glentomas123 (Posts: 70; Member since: 01 Jun 2011)
What if one is a girl that likes to wear skinny girl jeans? :-).
78. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2993; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Her figure won't be the only thing that's 'bulging', would it? ;)
92. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
if you are a fat ass or a s8, for sure
25. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5573; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
It all depends on how Sammy packages the display on the Note III. Thinner bezel could result in a Note III that is only slightly larger than the Note II.
Personally, I am looking forward to the Note III. But then I don't wear skinny girl jeans.
85. PAPINYC (Posts: 2224; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
5.9" is not big enough for me to upgrade, like the song says 'I need 7 inches or more!' Anyhoot, still curious. In the meantime, already rooted and hacked my Note 2 to use data overseas....lol.
42. moolotovzz (Posts: 24; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
5.9 does not mean it will be bigger than note2. Example is S4 which has bigger screen than S3 but almoust the same size ;) If I am not mistaken even less in width
53. McLTE (Posts: 639; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
We've already seen what the 5.9 size will look like. It will be approx .5 inches taller, which may be too much for me. bah.. who am I kidding?? I'll get it anyway! As long as it's not wider! bah.. who am I kidding.. I'll get it anyway!!
There's no way the Note III will be more narrow than the Note 2. Not possible.
81. vladikostek (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 May 2013)
I can confirm this, if you look at the comparison page of the galaxy mega and a few other phones....you can transpose the mega 5.8 screen to the note 2 and see that there is no way in hell 5.9 inches (extra .1 of an inch to mega) would fit on a "note 2 footprint"
take a look at the original article posted on April 11th, or just trust me ;)
I was really hoping for 5.7 inches....oh well i'll probably still get it. (hoping it's around 8mm thick)
4. msa1988 (Posts: 417; Member since: 30 Mar 2010)
That's entirely way too big (that's what she said).
23. Mimas (Posts: 11; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
I agree - even the 5 incher that's already in my trousers can be a little uncomfortable sometimes...
5. sid07desai (Posts: 249; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Ok. I was gonna wait till Note 3. But no more waiting. HTC One it is. Plastic has become dull.
29. greathero1 (Posts: 459; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
Plastic is cool. I just hope they do not put that god awful pattern on the Note 3 like in the S4. That's why I went with the HTC One. IMO, it makes the phone look hideous.
32. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
For me the pattern is cool esp in the white. I really like it.. i just dont like the weight of the device..it is very light that i dont like :)
43. tedkord (Posts: 4432; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
The pattern on the battery cover? For $10 you can get pretty much and battery cover type you want on Amazon - aluminum, carbon fiber, poly. All posted and colors.
69. trqster (Posts: 9; Member since: 17 May 2013)
The HTC ONE is the new android smartphone reference - great quality build and brilliant industrial design and interface (HTC Sense 5). To be perfect though still lacks a microSD card, a larger capacity battery and a better camera.
7. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5149; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
5.9 inch? Geez......I wish I have big hands! But still, I'm excited to see the Note 3! Can't wait!
8. tiara6918 (Posts: 1340; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
I can't wait and see what the note 3 has to offer considering the success of the first and second note version! I bet that oled display will be the talk of the town once it comes out
10. Sniggly (Posts: 6745; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
If they do what they've done with the Galaxy S4 iand increase the screen size by eliminating more bezel, I can see them getting away with it. If they eliminate 0.2 inches of bezel then they only need to increase the phone's size by 0.2 inches, which is not a huge increase.
If they increase the overall size of the phone by 0.4 inches that's pushing it though.
On a related note (no pun intended) Samsung really needs to start putting 32 gigs of internal memory into the Note. If you're going to sell the damn thing for 300 bucks, it needs to beat the equivalent priced iPhone in every aspect.
17. pslee (Posts: 37; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
10 million without verizon customers. very impressive.
38. johnriii (Posts: 221; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Big Red customers will push their sales beyond belief. not to mention 4th of July saies, back to school sales, etc. Samsung has pretty much decimated the competition, despite "lag" issues and such.
64. pslee (Posts: 37; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
yea I know! verizon owns third of the population of the US, 100 million customers!! only company to match that number is At&t and some Chinese companies.
24. MCrapp (Posts: 312; Member since: 07 Apr 2013)
So we can expect the Galaxy Mega 6 design with stylus. Im still waiting Sammy!
26. htcone (Posts: 8; Member since: 19 Apr 2013)
Samsung is lying because they wnat to make people belive that the s**t s4 is good after they heard about the ram storage lag heating issuis
Also a didnt see any one has s4 at least in my countrey because they are all waiting for the note 3 or they will still on the note 2 or s3
Sry for bad english it is not my native language
30. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5149; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Many phones have issues/problems, not just the Galaxy S4, the Xperia Z and Optimus G, HTC One etc. have issues/problems too (such as freezing, overheating, battery drain etc.), don't expect it to be a healthy fella.
Just like humans like us, we will get sick right?
31. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Your country is not the only country in the world.. your city is not the only city in your country..
Why should a company lie if there are external auditors? Why should a company lie if their operating profits are being publicized?
Internal storage is not an issue for people who love all touchwiz features.. besides, almost all android skins take signifcant amount of internal space.. Lag was already fixed by the recent update.. and not all units are affected by these issues..
40. johnriii (Posts: 221; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
yeah, I'm sure the HTC one is just "PERFECT". no problems at all. the numbers don't lie, no matter what you say.
27. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 413; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
Ok! That should be the limit! Beyond 6" might be considered as a tablet.
39. Retro-touch (Posts: 250; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Its already a phablet and its bordering on tablet, so you should get your facts straight
28. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
SAMSUNG. NOTE3. ANDROID. GOOGLE..FTW™
36. StalkinUrMom (Posts: 110; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
I walked around school once pretending to talk on my Nexus 7 like you would with a phone just to gauge people's reactions. I fear it might actually come to that someday now s: