Samsung executive says model with curved screen will have October release date
While Samsung has shown off a working prototype with a flexible display, the problem for the OEM is mass producing the screens and having them work. Not only do these screens have to be flexible, they need to be thin and resistant to heat. A number of times over the last few months, we passed along the rumor about a variant of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 to launch with a Gumby-like screen. Instead, the curved display is the next evolutionary step for the smartphone screen which eventually will lead to flexible screens, or ones that can fold up for a better fit in your pocket.
Recently, a mystery Samsung branded handset recently slipped into India for some R&D action. Perhaps this model, SM-W2014, will have something to do with the upcoming unit with a curved screen,
1. Danishs (Posts: 147; Member since: 23 May 2013)
It'll probably be a low tier region based phone to test out the market
7. james004 (limited) (Posts: 410; Member since: 15 May 2013)
Meh, it wont be interesting anyways, most samsung phones these days are boring anyways, its sad but iphones are getting more interesting now.
Lets hope this curved phone doenst sabotage HTC One Max like most samsung phone do to HTC phones by stealing attention.
4. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 1886; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Curved screens would be nice and give less scratches when rested on opposite side. I think they might combine flexi+curved screens in future.
5. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1616; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
well done samsung! this is proof that they don't always copy and have one f the best R&D departments!
6. Taters (Posts: 2104; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
It's going to be low end like the Galaxy Beam, GS4 Zoom, Mega, Rugby etc. You know, they actually see if people want these things before adding them to their flagships at the expense of size like cough...HTC, Sony, and Nokia.
9. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
curved screen is nothing new from samsung.. The samsung galaxy nexus and the galaxy S advance both have curved screens
16. JDMC..SmartphoneFan (Posts: 8; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
curved glass, not curved scree ;)
11. justsayit (Posts: 112; Member since: 09 May 2013)
first curved screen? did phonearena is really atech blog??
lg optimus g pro also has curved screen,did you know about it?
samsung fail again to be the first :( poor samsung
phone with curved glass display
13. shuaibhere (Posts: 685; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
i think they are talking about flexible screens...because galaxy nexus had curved screen
14. Navaid (Posts: 46; Member since: 05 Sep 2013)
It means screen bending at sides and no body has yet done it, Google it you Creepy iFanboy Asshole.
15. nothingmuch (Posts: 126; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Really cause the Galaxy S3 has curved glass too.
I think they're relating to a convex or concave phone with the screen CURVED on it or maybe wavy who knows
17. iDroid8 (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
Maybe the articles title confused you a bit, or you are just a troll but we are talking about bendable screens here and not just curved-where again the galaxy nexus, another samsung, is the first!