Samsung executive confirms the existence of a device made from “new materials”, Galaxy Alpha comes to mind
Well, Kim Hyun-joon confirmed that Samsung will release a duo of top-end devices in the upcoming months, one with a big screen (which is, beyond a reasonable doubt, the Galaxy Note 4) and one made from “new materials”. This seems like a pretty serious evidence that the company is indeed working on something really interesting, and it's most probably the Galaxy Alpha. The latest rumors suggest that Samsung will unveil said device on August 4, which is even earlier than the heavily rumored mid-August announcement.
Well, according to the most recent portion of rumors and speculations, it will have little to woo us with in the hardware department – a 4.7-inch display with a resolution of 720 x 1280, 32GB on-board storage, and a fingerprint sensor. The alleged exterior, however, will be the strongest aspect of the device, as it will be the first metal Samsung device.
source: The Wall Street Journal via The Verge
1. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Titanium, Stainless steel 18.8 highest grade, or metal or Carbon fibre.
2. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Get a Vertu, at least it can match your premium taste buds.
10. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Consumers are willing to pay the extra.
Everyone is fed up with plastic.
5. MrKoles (Posts: 347; Member since: 20 Jan 2013)
Yeah, and I would be glad to see some Plutonium and Antimatter either...nonsense.
13. mayur007 (Posts: 496; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
i would love to see nuclear bomb proof shell, with handgun feature :P
3. mturby (unregistered)
new materials? u mean wood, rubber, paper?
20. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Why Samsunite don't make "premium" aluminum suitcases , but polycarbonate??
4. Iodine (Posts: 778; Member since: 19 Jun 2014)
Samsungs "new materials" always meant pleather note 3, band aid galaxy 5 etc.
So I would expect a new plastic modification. like smaller dots, closer together.... orthishttp://www.technobuffalo.c
21. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Samsunite also don't make "premium" aluminum suitcases , but polycarbonate??
Shall I tell you WHY???? The answer is NOT - to KEEP the price low. LOL
22. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
PA and the other so called tech media NEVER STOP with this mediocre mid-range Alpha, just because there might be cheap Aluminum tin can, that they are in love with.
25. Dubs816 (Posts: 18; Member since: 02 Jun 2014)
Not to mention the fact that all these blogs and news sites keeping saying this is Samsung's first metal phone when it clearly isn't.
7. nodes (Posts: 166; Member since: 06 Mar 2014)
samsung's idea of head-to-head battle is to make the products as similar as possible.
8. Diego! (Posts: 533; Member since: 15 Jun 2009)
Where is the QHD display? Will they release later in the year the Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime?
15. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Will destroy every other phone. Yet once again.
23. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
What "Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime"
Only you don't know yet , that this BS rumors, about "soon coming premium S5" , were invented from the apple propaganda, only to slow down the S5 sale, and to brainwash you that S5 is NOT as premium as their cheap aluminium tin can iphones.
Got it now?????
29. gehrig (Posts: 218; Member since: 17 Apr 2014)
Tin can. Because water bottle S5 is so premium.
9. dimitrisantoniou (Posts: 7; Member since: 31 Jul 2014)
samsung realized that she has to make a premium design, well
but why does it have to be a mid range device???????
11. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Samsung was using premium materials before. From 2004 till 2006. They stopped and started to migrate to plastic.
So was the iPhone made with plastic.
24. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Aluminum is not "premium" and has never been.
Actually the WORST material used for smartphones EVER.
26. The-Sailor-Man (banned) (Posts: 1095; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
"samsung realized that she has to make a premium design, well
but why does it have to be a mid range device?"
Samsung will NEVER make flagship phone made of aluminium (the worst material)
Why the menial media talk about this mid-range Alpha every day(?), is just iTrick , for bashing Samsung , and advertising the iCrap "premium aluminium" , over and over again.
28. gehrig (Posts: 218; Member since: 17 Apr 2014)
I think you're just jealous of nice high quality phones.
12. Zack_2014 (Posts: 102; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
4.7inch 720p with the beastly specs is gonna be one beast of its kind. Added metal chasis and premium design.
Next phone surely.
18. naittosan (Posts: 234; Member since: 28 Jun 2014)
If the rumor specs are right on this Alpha, 32gb of non-expandable memory, 805 chip 3gb of ram, low screen resolution, their just throwing the towel in, and giving up on trying to beat the iPhone. Lucky they at least have the note, but that still all depends on what Apple’s note turns out to be.
17. vipervoid123 (Posts: 162; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
Like that , I guess Z3 Compact will killed it ~
30. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
The beast of the midrange that is with par with the Z1 mini.
19. WilliamC937 (Posts: 17; Member since: 07 Sep 2013)
Erm....maybe polycarbonate with rubber mixed inside... XDD
31. ameran (Posts: 60; Member since: 04 Dec 2013)
I have been a big fan of Samsung Galaxy devices, but I am tired of repeated design language. This Alpha does not look good at all. I look like that you just added an extra metal band around a plastic phone. I hope the Samys will learn about their low profit in this year and finally start making premium devices. I own Note 3 right now, but I would definitely change to another manufacturer if Note 4 comes in cheap design language.