Samsung Galaxy S5 and Note 3 getting an "emergency" S Finder software update
It’s not clear if this S Finder update will hit S5 and Note 3 owners around the world, or just in select markets. Samsung has yet to mention what specific problems S Finder is having, but users who are prompted to install the update should nevertheless do it.
Later this month, Samsung may also start updating the Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.3 KitKat. As you may know, at the moment the flagship smartphone is running Android 4.4.2.
Meanwhile, is your Galaxy S5 or Galaxy Note 3 getting the S Finder update? Let us know!
More popular slideshows
LG G3 - 40 Tips & Tricks for LG's most powerful smartphone ever
25 Jul 2014, 01:36
LG G3 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: vote for the better phone
25 Jul 2014, 06:01
5 Android L themes, launchers and icon packs to install while you wait
25 Jul 2014, 03:23
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Did you know: 5 interesting facts about Android L
20 Jul 2014, 10:02
The best Android browsers, 2014 edition: design, features, and performance
23 Jul 2014, 09:49
1. Samsung's S Finder emergency update shows up on a Galaxy Note 3
2. Samsung's S Finder emergency update on a Galaxy S5
via: Android Central, XDA Developers forum
1. WinC76 (Posts: 55; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
My one updated as soon as I enabled WiFi on my Note 3 with no question asked.
6. Planterz (Posts: 558; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
More likely it's a patch to close the Towelroot exploit.
11. 0xFFFF (Posts: 2018; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
"More likely it's a patch to close the Towelroot exploit."
15. Ishmeet (Posts: 111; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
Can't be, Towelroot uses a vulnerability found in the linux kernel, and hence it can only be eliminated by google itself issuing a path for towelroot. S Finder is completely unrelated to the kernel.
17. Planterz (Posts: 558; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
True, but a manufacturer could still put something in their software that blocks a specific application from running. Of course, it'd take all of 20 seconds for Geohut to rewrite Towelroot to bypass that.
In any case, there's nothing on the xda thread about this patch closing or preventing Towelroot from working, so I think everyone's in the clear.
8. gigaraga (Posts: 494; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Immediately got it after hooking my international Note 3 to Wi-Fi. It's good Samsung is fixing small problems with some updates, keep them coming..
9. ingmang (Posts: 1; Member since: 09 Jun 2014)
Got it in my Note 3, it's only ~3mb. I'm from Colombia
10. Anonn (Posts: 37; Member since: 04 Jun 2014)
My note 3 is rooted so cant update. Just Froze s finder
13. Planterz (Posts: 558; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Have you tried updating through Kies (on your computer)? An update that way should work. You'd probably lose root, but you can just re-root. Might want to check on xda to be sure though.
12. jakece (Posts: 3; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
Yeah i got it too yesterday afternoon. Im from Malta and i usually have to wait a lot to get updates.
14. jpd514 (Posts: 32; Member since: 08 Nov 2013)
Updated yesterday in French Canada but not for the best. Always bugged. Will work perfectly the first time you enter keywords, as soon as you search with other keywords, will search for ever and find nothing.