Samsung Galaxy S III to be used as the base for Samsung's first Windows Phone 8 device?
- 4.7-inch HD screen
- Faster dual/quad core processor (depending on region)
- LTE support
- 12-megapixel rear camera, 2-megapixel front-facing camera
- Dedicated camera button
- Samsung Cloud Support
- Improved Photo Studio
1. wendygarett (unregistered)
this article is from cnet is it PA? their news are biased...
2. Victor.H (Posts: 322; Member since: 27 May 2011)
The source is WP-life, it's mentioned at the bottom of the article.
34. Dr_fajardo (Posts: 32; Member since: 29 Apr 2012)
if this is true, was a mistake bought my lumia 900 (i think wp is better than others os (my opinion)). sammy3 with android and wp8 !!! holy potatoes!!
3. abdane (Posts: 448; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
what does the article mean ??? the S3 will be windows instead of android ???
4. wendygarett (unregistered)
i dont think so... wp does not need powerful quad core to launch smoothly... it would probably that the rumored galaxy s3 design is reserved for focus s2... just sayin...
44. solidsnakeduds013 (Posts: 215; Member since: 20 Oct 2010)
Just two more days guys and we will see the s3. I can already give you the specs for this phone. 4.3 or 4.6 inch screen single core or dual core, super amoled physical camera button
5. JSern (Posts: 282; Member since: 22 May 2011)
No, instead releasing for android only, they might release a WP 8 OS version of it. It's like earning x2 of money.
6. ra830369 (Posts: 3; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
Nobody knows what it means, But its provOcative!!!!
9. Sleepy (Posts: 13; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
I think it means the S3 design will be reused for a WP8 device.
7. 0o0blackstar0o0 (Posts: 85; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
I don't think they will risk going from android to windows if they do their screwed bahaha
10. JSern (Posts: 282; Member since: 22 May 2011)
Samsung is not restricted. They can release a Android SG3, and a WP8 Focus S2. TOGETHER.
26. Glim12808 (Posts: 344; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Nowhere does it say in the article that Samsung is going from Android to Windows. First, the Android SGS3 will be released, then after, probably this October, they will release the Windows Phone 8 SFS3. It's not as if this is the first time Samsung will release a Windows Phone. If you read the article very well, it clearly says Samsung has done it before in the SGSII and the SFS.
30. Glim12808 (Posts: 344; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Read "Windows Phone 8 SFS2" instead of "Windows Phone 8 SFS3". Sorry for the mistake!
8. and1one (Posts: 4; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
Wow! This is a nice match against the rumored Lumia PureView with the same 12MP camera count! However, this Lumia PureView is 12MP-camera based on Nokia N8's camera design, and with Xenon flash.
17. strikercho (Posts: 94; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Dude, the 808's PureView camera is 41MP. It is far, far away and ahead of any Korean, Chinese or whatever brand, including Apple.
35. Dr_fajardo (Posts: 32; Member since: 29 Apr 2012)
u r missing the sensor`s size, unless nokia can put that giant sensor in a tiny phone will be like and1one said. they will sell the publicity but not the image cuality. just like they did with n8 and lumia 800.
11. PackMan (Posts: 277; Member since: 09 Mar 2012)
By the time this is released Exynos 5xxx will already be out and the next Nexus device too.
31. Glim12808 (Posts: 344; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Dual boot Android/WP8 phone. Take my money already! LOL!
13. grif_ (Posts: 61; Member since: 28 Apr 2012)
samsung will use the same hardware for the focus 2 that is found in the samsung galaxy s3
14. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
PA, i just submitted an email on your phonearena knows best address, and... i would like to add an extension to my question, should I consider this too? lol
15. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Okay, windows phone, now we're talking.
It could be a great device but you have to wait October/November for it.
Besides, it will have the SAME UI like any other windows phone 8 product, including Nokia's - so that will be a problem for manufacturers wanting to differentiate.
Android still has huge advantage in apps though, especially free ones.
And I have a feeling that Jelly Bean will be awesome.
36. DFranch (Posts: 103; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
Nobody knows how customizable WP8 will be yet.
16. Sangeet (Posts: 222; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Why can't people understand a single thing that the upcoming design and hardware of the Samsung Galaxy S III could also be used for another Windows Phone by Samsung featuring the same design and the same hardware specs that would be in the Samsung Galaxy S III . It would be just like what Nokia did with the N9 and 800 but in this case (if the rumors are true) not only design but also the hardware would be taken the same so the people have choice not because of hardware but on the basis of software used.
18. Victor.H (Posts: 322; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Great analogy with the N9! But you don't even need to go to other companies - Samsung seems to have already used the design of the Galaxy S II as a base for the Focus S. The real question here is more about whether Windows Phone 8 will indeed allow for the bump up in specs.
20. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
i don't think they will bump up the specs like that, the focus s was based on the s2 but still had a single core... i don't think they will let a windows phone device be on top with their most popular phone... causing consumer confusion
22. Sangeet (Posts: 222; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
focus s had a single core because it dual core is not compatible with Windows Phone 7.5, So they had no other choice
23. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
i know that. i mean, would they let another phone be advertised as quad core exynos processor wielding, super amoled hd phone along with the S3? it may cause customer confusion. it could be designed after the s3 but the specs may still be with the s2 or lower.
28. Glim12808 (Posts: 344; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
The reason they could not use dual-core in SFS is due to the limitation imposed by the WP7 OS. There isn't such a limitation in WP8. Beyond that, I don't get what you're saying at all! Why would consumers get confused between Android and Windows Phone 8 when these two OSes are absolutely different from each other! Even from a distance, those two are not alike at all, not a single bit!
32. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
Samsung makes more money with the Galaxy, so why shift the attention somewhere else? i guess that's the only thing i'm doubting.
if that happens though, i'm looking forward to what Nokia will bring to compete with a quad core HD beast, since we haven't even seen one qHD dual core soldier from them.
39. Pdubb (Posts: 223; Member since: 08 Aug 2011)
I don't think Samsung really cares as long as they are selling phones. Think of it this way, Nokia has come out and sold a ton of WP devices proving that the phones will sell if they are done correctly. Samsung must be licking their chops at the fact they may be able to have the next big thing on W7 and Android.
21. matrix_neo (Posts: 305; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Samsung galaxy s III with wp8 that's an interesting news. If this is true, then windows phone will have an increased share in a pie. What os share will it bite? Probably ios lol. If MS will allow to customize wp, samsung will be able to boost its market share, we knew that samsung can provide better hardware and software, nokia will be struggling again.
24. rg987 (Posts: 130; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
these are the real specs of S3 definitely...........now just waiting for may 3
25. hung2900 (Posts: 648; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
32nm HKMG dual-core cortex A9 + ceramic body + 4.7 inch 720p SA+ screen + gorilla glass 2 + 12 MP camera + LTE + WP 8 Apollo!!!
29. x7black7x (Posts: 116; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
they did't used a dual core on sfs cause windows can run smoothly on 1 core only
maybe they'll fit a better gpu than any other windows phone for better gameplay and
as far as camera is a 12 megapixlr supporting 1080p video recording its ok.
and galaxy s3 imo it will be a benchmark for all other android phones and as well as for iphone5
37. protozeloz (Posts: 5184; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I have my doubts, we heard similar news last year and it never happened, and with the Nokia Microsoft Deal. I think It could be even less likely
38. Gcombs (Posts: 129; Member since: 22 Aug 2011)
Overall it's good for the consumers to have choices if true. Man I love this tech stuff!
40. mercorp (Posts: 914; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
Call it a ominia s.
Even better,give me a s3 that dual boots in android and wp8.
sadly microsoft will not allow this.
41. 99n100 (Posts: 16; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
If Sammy is helping MS to promote WP8 with their lastest hardware Nokia will suffer more... are they goinh to sink Nokia???
42. vslayer (Posts: 32; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
whaaaat samsung cloud..... even wp7 phones has skydrive... its this diff from the windows phone owned skydrive?? i think this article is ............
43. lubba (Posts: 1309; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
Sounds good to me but if it doesn't come to TMO, can't buy it just like the Nokia L900. Because of that exclusive and lack of rumors if L900 coming to TMO, Nokia probably lost the othe half million sales to help bost 2nd/3rd quarter profits.
45. GoBears (Posts: 253; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
WP OS is SO boring it would be such a waste to put it on such high end hardware. Unless WP8 is going to be radically different, I just can't see the point.