Report: Apple iPhone 5S to be introduced June 20th, will launch in July; low-cost version to come in August
There has been talk that Apple would launch the Apple iPhone 5S on the sixth anniversary of the launch of the original Apple iPhone back on June 29th, 2007. But the date falls on a Saturday which is generally not a day of the week when Apple releases a product. Most of the speculation about the next Apple iPhone has centered on an incremental update involving a faster processor, with possibly a fingerprint scanner and NFC support.
Another part of the rumor deals with the possibility that at the same time that the new phone is unveiled, Apple will show off part or all of the iOS overhaul that has been the focus of Senior VP of Industrial Design, Sir Jonathan Ive. This part of Mac Fan's information is more of a prediction than parroting back inside knowledge from a source. It actually is more likely that Apple would wait until the next WWDC show in June considering that a revised iOS would need attention from developers before it is released. Ive's work is expected to debut on iOS 7.0.
source: MacFan.jp via electronista
1. Ninetysix (Posts: 918; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Big disappointment if it's just a faster iP5 and no change in its dimensions. At least show us a glimpse of what you have in store for us in iOS 7.
31. opensourceftw (banned) (Posts: 148; Member since: 01 Jan 2013)
Clearly someone is not familiar with apple.
37. appleDOESNT.com (Posts: 349; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
low cost iPhone is actually the one in July, it is last years iPhone with a S on it, which stands for S hit
The cheaper iPhone is a 2 year ago re-badged iPhone that is going to be call the iPhone SOS, S ame O utdated S hit
but to S heep they will definitely be S hits!
40. DaHarder (Posts: 123; Member since: 10 Oct 2009)
I wouldn't be that harsh, but your 'same' criticism may have less to do with the phone 'looking externally the same' and far more to do with the FACT that the iPhoneOS/iOS has changed (in appearance) so very little over the last 7 years.
It's all been just adding (borrowing) some little feature here or there, most often from other platforms, otherwise it's the same, old, tired pages of icons that act as nothing more than a (one at a time) app launcher lost in a world wherein other platforms off much more efficient real-time information at a glance.
No one really expects the next iPhone's looks or functionality to change that much, and That's The Problem - Apple's Been Treading Water For Far Too Long, while the rest of the industry has been moving forward/innovating at a blistering pace.
58. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 879; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
you couldnt be more right!!! you cant stay on course in this industry. you have to be innovative. Samsung introduced the phablet and the re-introduced the stylus....i mean the S-Pen lol. its ironic that Apple has dominated the mobile industry no more than 3 years ago............oh, how have the tides have changed
60. darkkjedii (Posts: 7697; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
All that creativity and u only got one green thumb. Tisk tisk tisk.
33. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4121; Member since: 14 May 2012)
3G --> 3GS = Speed
4 ----> 4S = Speed
5 ----> 5S = _______
It's pretty obvious.
41. Yaldo_27 (Posts: 28; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
The "S" name on iphone 4S means Siri, not Speed
48. opensourceftw (banned) (Posts: 148; Member since: 01 Jan 2013)
It actually means "sh*t", or "sucker". As in "holy Sh*t, I cannot believe these Suckers just bought the EXACT same phone we just sold them not even a year ago! LOL!" - tim c*ck
44. therealestmc (Posts: 128; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
The current size is ok. My concern is IOS. Apple can put more on the screen other than icons.
49. opensourceftw (banned) (Posts: 148; Member since: 01 Jan 2013)
They really can't. apple cannot program for sh*t. See: appfail maps
66. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5166; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
They cant be more faster than qualcomm/tegra4/exynous
2. rumman1995 (Posts: 8; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
iPhone 5s Must have 12-13 MP camera in order to compare with S4
7. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
iPhone 5S must have much more than a good camera to compare with latest Android based flagships.
10. Ninetysix (Posts: 918; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
I have some bad news for you broseph.
Do you have vision insurance by any chance?
13. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Is everything on the PhoneArena.com is true?
34. tusshharish (Posts: 317; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
nah i dont think so....................and i dont believe on this results............i need side by side comparison of all phones in fhd video............
38. TheBitterTruth (unregistered)
Its actually biased
36. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4121; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I have some bad new for you Ninetysix.
iOS 7 is the same as iOS 6.
50. opensourceftw (banned) (Posts: 148; Member since: 01 Jan 2013)
I'll let you all in on a super secret: ios 8,9,10+ will be the same too!
55. opensourceftw (banned) (Posts: 148; Member since: 01 Jan 2013)
The camera is the least of the numerous shortcomings of the iphone compared to a real phone.
3. networkdood (Posts: 4748; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
oh joy, right on my birthday...lol...luckily, there will be dozens of better android and windows phones already available by then.
51. opensourceftw (banned) (Posts: 148; Member since: 01 Jan 2013)
Dood, there are already Androids that outclass the iPhail in every single way. That.....thing.....was obsolete the day it launched LMAO
81. networkdood (Posts: 4748; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Mum, yeahhhh, I believe I said that already
4. Whateverman (Posts: 3056; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Attention Android OEM's (Especially HTC): this is how it's done! Introduce a new phone to the public, then launch it a few weeks later. It's called sticking while the iron is HOT! Love em' or hate em', this is why that 6 year old phone with the outdated UI manages to pull the kind of crowds they do. They spark an interest, then capitalize on it by getting that device in people's hand while their interest is still high. Blackberry, you guys should take notes too. We get the Z10 now? HTC, where is the one?
8. Aeires (unregistered)
I think Samsung is the only one that gets it for Android. Not only do they bring phones more quickly, but they even outdid Apple with the S3 by releasing it on all the US carriers, as well as massive carrier support world wide. T-Mobile is just now getting the iPhone but they've had the S phones for a long time.
15. YaBoiDre10 (Posts: 84; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
That's exactly why Samsung is successful. You can't last long making one phone for one carrier
5. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I'm not going to buy low cost Apple phone, but I'm just curious to see how it will look and what specifications it will have. And talking about iPhone 5S, I think that it was already released in September of 2012. ;)
And as I have said before, I think that low cost Apple phone won't be popular.
6. BadAssAbe (Posts: 433; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
Smaller bezel, that's all apple needs to make a truly great phone.
12. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
What about a multitasking and general fixes for various security and other bugs in iOS?
18. BadAssAbe (Posts: 433; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
There really nothing wrong with the current iPhone, it just works.
So with a smaller bezel I think it would be great but no where near as great as the SGS4, they're not even in the same category
iPhone = Low Tech Users
Android = Everyone
29. lyndon420 (Posts: 1357; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
The term 'just works' is like saying 'just made it' on time without being late. To be politically correct the phrase should say 'It just works-barely'. Yeah...got no love for fruit.
52. opensourceftw (banned) (Posts: 148; Member since: 01 Jan 2013)
Of course it "just works" (it actually doesn't, there are a litany of flaws), there isn't much going on internally. What will be more reliable; A Ferrari F550 Marinello (Android) or a Geo Metro (apple)? The Geo, because there is far less to go wrong. Doesn't mean you want to be seen using one though LOL
47. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4487; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Multitasking just can't work bad on iOS because of one simple reason - iOS doesn't have a multitasking.
73. Abbath (Posts: 99; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
Yeah...iOS can only switch tasks and apps but it doesnt have actual multitasking...any app you switch from is just paused in the background
11. reuben (Posts: 6; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
guys apple iphone 5s should have a 1080p screen .if it has to stay alive in this smartphone war . i hope apple will do that.
14. Aeires (unregistered)
My guess for iOS7 is a standardized look across all aspects of the OS, or death to skeumorphism, and that's a good thing. As for what the "killer" feature is, I can't think of anything that already hasn't been done by other platforms.
For the phone itself, not much for changes. Slightly better processors most likely but same shape and design. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they started making more color variants though. If they push the regular iPhone models with more color, people will react to a lower cost iPhone with a more open acceptance towards it (should the rumors of colors be true for the low cost version).
16. avin007 (Posts: 117; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
Low cost iphone or refurbished iphone 3gs???
53. opensourceftw (banned) (Posts: 148; Member since: 01 Jan 2013)
So glad we have your assurance and approval.
61. darkkjedii (Posts: 7697; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Hey Einstein, and there's a ton of sarcasm there. Probably, and assurance don't go together. I don't wanna get banned so I'll leave at that. Please don't comment on my posts and I'll stay off yours. Kid
64. Mimas (Posts: 8; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
He made a very good point - you added NOTHING to the discussion. And then you threw your toys out of your cot, you big crybaby.
65. darkkjedii (Posts: 7697; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
You added nothing to this site. Please go away.
71. Mimas (Posts: 8; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Gosh there's another one - a witty, intelligent and expertly made comment relating to nothing. You should write a book - I've already thought of a title for you:
'Douchenozzle' by darkkjedii. It'll be an autobiography...
72. darkkjedii (Posts: 7697; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Did your 4 yr old think of that for you?
76. Mimas (Posts: 8; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Go ahead DN - keep proving your doucheness to the rest of us...
78. opensourceftw (banned) (Posts: 148; Member since: 01 Jan 2013)
And you add nothing to society or the human racr in general. Please do not spread your fanboy re-re genes. kthx
22. rcrider4 (Posts: 118; Member since: 14 Nov 2011)
Hopefully they give me a nice birthday present then and release an nicely upgraded phone and OS...
23. BigBoss10 (Posts: 158; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
I DONT CARE EVRYTIME SAME THINGS WITH APPLE .... BLA...BLA...BLA.... BLA..... BLA..... BLA..... BLA..... i S h i t
24. Ninetysix (Posts: 918; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
You obviously care since you posted. LOL.