Purported Galaxy S IV benchmark results appear
The handset is shown as the Samsung SHV-E300S, but this shouldn't bother you, because it means that we're most probably looking at the South Korean version of the Galaxy S IV. Interestingly, the handset is also listed with a Qualcomm chipset MSM8960. Naturally, it's very unlikely for the international version of the GS IV to come with a Qualcomm processor, especially when Samsung recently announced the Exynos 5 Octa processor, which is more than up to the task. On the other hand, it wouldn't be exactly shocking if we see the South Korean version launch with a SoC by Qualcomm, so the credibility of the benchmark results seems to be intact for now.
And now, let's get to the real deal! According to these GLBenchmark results, the Galaxy S IV has scored 4672 Frames (41.3 Fps) in the Egypt HD C24Z16 - Offscreen (1080p) test, and 4450 Frames (39.4 Fps) in the Egypt HD C24Z16 - Onscreen test. These are some excellent results, but who knows, they may be even better on the international GS IV.
One of the best Android phones around, the Nexus 4, for example, scores 3803 Frames (33.7 Fps) in the offscreen test and 4977 Frames (44.0 Fps) in the onscreen test, which shows that it's not much slower, but still the GS IV should have some advantage.
The benchmark info also confirms the rumors that the Galaxy S IV will come with a resolution of 1080x1920 pixels, while software-wise the handset will run Android 4.2.1.
Check out the following table for some additional comparisons of the Galaxy S IV's GLBenchmark results:
|Samsung Galaxy S IV (E300S)||Google
|Galaxy S III (I9300)||Galaxy Note II (N7100)|
|Egypt HD - Offscreen (1080p)||4672 Frames
|Egypt HD - Onscreen||4450 Frames
source: GLBenchmark via Techkiddy
1. tusshharish (Posts: 324; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
first step of S IV's entry.........and scrores are pretty good...
6. Emily1985 (Posts: 123; Member since: 08 Nov 2012)
last year Google Nexus 4 is faster than samsung galaxy S IV ???
15. ReaperChief (Posts: 29; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Sorry man, but the Nexus 4 is kinda like this year's phone.
18. Emily1985 (Posts: 123; Member since: 08 Nov 2012)
Google Nexus 4 Released 2012 November, welcome to 2013
105. agungs (Posts: 1; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
N4 is under 720p againts SGS4 which benchmarked under 1080p..
109. ReaperChief (Posts: 29; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Umm, Nexus 4.. Announced in 2012, came into stock in late January 2013.. so.. Not a 2012 phone to me..
91. tuminatr (Posts: 594; Member since: 23 Feb 2009)
QUAD CORE VS DUAL CORE N4 should be faster
26. MrJerry (Posts: 373; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
You don't actually believe that they are going to use Qualcomm chipset mainly for their GS4, do you?
75. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Galaxy s4 will have a snapdragon s4 pro. The first phone to have an a15 processor will be the Nexus 5 with a tegra 4. The Galaxy Note 3 will launch in the fall with a quad core exynos 5 though.
85. MrJerry (Posts: 373; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
GS4 regional version will only have QC chipset
Im not sure it will be a15 or a9....or octa or quad
But im quite sure Exynose will be mainly used for their upcoming GS4
100. taz89 (Posts: 1891; Member since: 03 May 2011)
i doubt it the only reason they used s4 for the s3 was because they did not have lte ready for the exynos which is why they used exynos in most countries and released the note 2 with exynos and lte because they managed to make it work together...i am certain that here in europe it will have exynos in some form and i would also bet that in US it will have exynos+ lte as they have no reason for snapdragon...samsung wants to use many of its own chips etc as it will make there profit margins bigger
54. maxican16 (Posts: 361; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
That's only for onscreen results. The GSIV pushes more pixels due to its higher resolution (Full HD vs 720), so the result is a lower score. The offscreen test tells the true results because native resolution is ignored.
68. tedkord (Posts: 3776; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
The Nexus 4 on screen is limited 720p, while the other supposed GS4 us outputting 1080p.
99. xtremesv (Posts: 180; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
We're talking about graphics performance alone. Nobody should conclude Nexus 4 is faster solely from these data.
112. boricua786 (Posts: 4; Member since: 07 Aug 2011)
I believe that is incorrect only because I just did a benchmark test with my GS3 and pulled 5430 frames!!
29. wendygarett (unregistered)
I can't believe crapdragon s4 manage to on par with exynos5 :(
47. Taters (Posts: 2088; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
That isn't the Exynos. Although I wouldn't be surprised that they used a Qualcomm 600 or 800 instead of the Exynos Octa. Currently the Exynos 5 dual needs the huge Nexus 10 battery so if the Exynos Octa isn't ready in time for the GS4, Qualcomn it is. I really hope they don't use the same S4 pro that is in the Nexus 4, padfone 2, oppo 5, DNA, xiaomi phone 2, Xperia Z, most likely the HTC one etc.
That would really suck if they used the S4 pro.
76. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Htc One has a 1.7ghz snapdragon s4 pro. It will be almost identical benchmarks to the nexus 4.
111. BitterTruth (unregistered)
Snapdragon is better than Exynos. (S3 vs Optimus G)
Check the reviews before hitting the unlike button.
38. imsickwithsmartphone (Posts: 153; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
can't wait to see real life PERFOMANCE!!
79. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
In terms of real life performance its good. It makes calls, it can play angry birds without lag and it can even load the internet.
2. darkkjedii (Posts: 8877; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Impressive. This will b an excellent device, looking forward to seeing it in action.
5. _Bone_ (Posts: 1989; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Impressive indeed, more than doubling the SIII/Note II scores and coming close to the brute-powered Nexus 4's 720p FPS at native 1080p.
Do we know the GPU type already?
11. atsamman (Posts: 72; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
the only device that beat the ipad 4 is the nexus 4 in glbenchmark
8. darkkjedii (Posts: 8877; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
This is he first I've heard of any tests. Internals wise, I've only heard of Octo core exynos 5.
63. affandi (Posts: 81; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
I like how darkkjedii gets a bunch of red thumbs even when he sounds positive for a change, hahaha.
104. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 818; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Did you notice the difference between onscreen and off-screen?
I think this further proves the fact that it will be of a higher resolution because it actually scored less for the on-screen!
3. israinwet (Posts: 47; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
Did not know the Nexus 4 was that far ahead of the S3 and Note 2. Could someone explain what the higher fps means as far as the phone's performance goes? I'm confused because the other phones are not bad at handling in game visuals.
7. _Bone_ (Posts: 1989; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Benchmarks simply show raw capabilities and future-proofing as most games run smooth on older devices such as the SII. The point is, 1080p screen requires more processing power, and results show the "S4" can handle itself.
10. darkkjedii (Posts: 8877; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Proper hardware/software optimization should take care of that.
25. Just_a_boy (Posts: 183; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
But Android don't know what is software optimization
4. imsickwithsmartphone (Posts: 153; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Can we believe this??
9. syedzain (Posts: 174; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
i think its just a normal test, coz iPhone 5 scored more than s4, s4 should be more powerful than iPhone 5
24. faisolbauuz (Posts: 121; Member since: 05 Jan 2013)
Actually the gs4 benchmark is better than iphone 5 the iphone 5 scores in gl benchmark 1080p offscreen is around 27fps
41. ahmed_ali_yossef2010 (Posts: 154; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
it's 29.1 for off screen
but the iphone 5 is better alittle than this one " Iam not sure it's the sgs4 " on onscreen test with 40 frames
80. faisolbauuz (Posts: 121; Member since: 05 Jan 2013)
Right it was 29fps my bad ,well iphone 5 onscreen test is better than gs4 because of the lower resolution on iphone 5 the gs4 uses and FHD screen
13. syedzain (Posts: 174; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
i totally agree with u... seeing the specs.. its really excellent
20. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
Best phone what? 2013 has just started.
81. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Best phone will be the first company get put a quad core a15 in a phone (google)
22. pyradark (Posts: 684; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
It only show the speed, and surely it will be a beast in specs but not on design and durability!! So not the best phone hahaha
Xperia Z is the best, let the thumbs down begin
28. sonyisdead (banned) (Posts: 30; Member since: 30 Jan 2013)
Xperia Z = fragile glass back, horrible battery life, washed out colors and terrible viewing angles, bad camera with purple and pink tints everywhere, uninspired generic rectangle design, and an exact copy of LG Optimus G.
Yup, Xperia Z truly the best.
Xperia Z's absolute horrid less than 10 hours battery life and barely 3 hours screen on time:
30. sonyisdead (banned) (Posts: 30; Member since: 30 Jan 2013)
Xperia Z's horrible viewing angles and color production:
Xperia Z, the best camera phone with purple and pink tints everywhere:
Xperia Z is truly the best, let the thumb downs begin!
59. oyalinkaya (Posts: 15; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Yeah, every one of us uses the phone in that angle. Because we have no rationality to get face-to-face with the device.
I would prefer purple tint Z to red-tint-in-the-pitch-dark of Nexus 4 or glowy-glowy-green-tint-in-eternal-darkness of Note II. At least I have the geo-physics knowledge that sky is purplish at nights. :)
Yet, GS IV will surely beat Xperia Z in benchmark scores no matter what. Because, Samsung is more experienced in developing smart phones and Xperia Z will be released earlier.
But in any means, I would not underestimate the beauty of Bravia, when it comes to watch high definition video. Even my old Xperia S has surprised every one of my friends with its lovely screen. I'm sure Z will surpass S's quality.
Sorry, but I hate AMOLED's greenish light that reflects outward the screen. It makes me sleepy...
95. pyradark (Posts: 684; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
1. you dont even know what kind of glass they put on xperia Z!!
I believe lets do the drop test with your plastic S4 and see whose going to break first.
2. its HDR mode that's why it overexpose on shots but ohh wait its more details and i see people walking than dark useless video(note & nexus4.)
3. before you judge the screen, its a reality display not digital display so if youll watching it on youtube then your dumb.
4. hundreds of phone is on an rectagular design, Z is the only one design beautifully or should i say youve been brain wash by S3 plastic look.
Yup Xperia is truly the best, thanks
36. mohammed2222 (Posts: 27; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
yes , xperia z is the best , with this wonderful display.
[i took it from Sony is dead]
51. abhishek48 (Posts: 164; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
Xperia Z has Snapdragon pro CPU which nexus 4 and DNA had since nov 2012.. LOL DNA has better screen Super LCD 3.....
Galaxy s4 will surely have better benchmarks and when finsihed products come out, Mali t 604 or T 658 will surely ber Aderano 420 their competition is with Tegra 4 or Snapdragon 600 or 800...
Sony uses old hardware and cannot even pass a single benchmark of DNA.. not even battery bu much... Rest in peace
87. alexzibrit (Posts: 67; Member since: 15 Jan 2013)
You Sir I Love, That is exactly what I always say, plus Viewing angles to me are more important than a n unnecessarily high resolution, I mean what the point of it if I can;t even see if I move off center